Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that my ball joint is normal wear and tear? Better get yours checked at 40,000 mile and then comment. I own a fleet of 140 vehicles and never seen this type of wear within 70,000 miles!

I am just lucky it happened on a rough road at a very low speed.
Check your facebook page Pete, I'll send you a private message.... time for us honest citizens to fight for the truth :)

I will have my Model S' ball joints and a handful of other things checked at ~41,000 miles next week as preparation for an extended travel period.

Fwiw, the car has never been garaged and lives less than 100 yards from the Pacific Ocean. While salt air is ubiquitous, the car is less than 18 months old and spends at least some of the time inland since that's where most of the roads are to get to the other coasts.

That said, a datapoint it shall constitute. A cursory visual inspection sans lift has not revealed much that's alarming aside from the usual rusty rotors and visible scoring (I've long suspected a bad caliper but evidently that view is not shared by those who have replacement calipers). 5th set of rotors and counting. Happily, the tires are holding up great at 41K+, but would prefer to have them replaced before upcoming travel just so I don't have to deal with that on the road.

Reactions: M0DEL³

Yep. I recall after TACC launched, there were a couple of updates that led to more aggressive TACC behavior, and *maybe* there could have been something misaligned after factory pickup, but that would only mean being on set #3 - not #5.

As well, to be fair, it appears that Tesla replaces the full set even though the rears have been not that bad - at least lately.

So next week I do hope to have a more substantive conversation about actually solving the problem rather than continuing to band-aid it. I've never shredded rotors in such a manner in any other car, and the OEM tires have worn very evenly (frankly I think they've held up great, and probably would exceed the 45,000 mile warranty if they weren't getting replaced in the next couple of weeks), so I hesitate to point the finger at my driving habits. My first thought for a fix being to replace the right front caliper (the right front being where most of the scoring happens).

One of the service advisors said they do replace a lot of rotors, but my interpretation of that comment was that this was only in the context of AP cars. While I have met a couple of AP drivers who also drive their cars more than, say, 8000 miles a year who have also had rotors replaced, I haven't met a single pre-AP owner who's had anything but their original rotors - and some of them were in the 80,000-90,000 mile club. So at least that's encouraging. I'm almost certain there has to be something up with the right front caliper. Either that or I'm the worst driver ever, starting with this car and not the previous 12 or so.

• Informative
Reactions: M0DEL³ and newtman
Jeff.

your opinion does not matter, I only tell the truth. Stick your head in the sand, it is your life and the lives of others you are gambling.

Pete Cordaro
Hi Pete
I suggest you contact Mike Ramsey at the Wall Street journal he is VERY interested in this subject.
If there is really not a problem then Tesla and all of its supporters have everything to gain by having the suspension failures properly investigated.

On the other hand if there IS a problem (and judging by all the crashed Teslas in the wrecking yards I would say there is) then lives could be at risk.
Your snapped suspension could easily have killed someone.

Hi Pete
I suggest you contact Mike Ramsey at the Wall Street journal he is VERY interested in this subject.
If there is really not a problem then Tesla and all of its supporters have everything to gain by having the suspension failures properly investigated.

(Snip)

*eyeroll*. Without judging the core issue one way or the other, of *course* it would be the WSJ interested in negatives. Their headlines have become laughable.

For that reason alone, I question whether, anymore, the WSJ can be associated with anything that resembles truly proper investigation with regard to anything Tesla.

Last edited:
5th set of rotors and counting

This shouldn't be happening. I've driven a lot of old cars, some of which I owned and drove for well over 10 years, and lots of things have failed, but I've never had to replace a rotor accept for one case where the brake pad ran out and the rivets dug into the rotor. With the S, the rotors are huge, and the brakes don't get used much. It believe it should be possible for the original set of rotors on a Model S to last for millions of miles.

I would guess one of three things are happening in your case:
1) You are being overly picky about your rotors and there has been nothing wrong with them, but Tesla replaced them anyways due to your concern.
2) Your brake usage is so incredibly low (maybe possible with a careful driver that minimizes brake use and has creep turned off) that rust is sticking to the rotors for too long and unhappy rust happenings are going on. This is a bit of a guess as it's not a scenario I have any experience with. The easy fix for this would be just to make sure you actually press on your brakes from time to time, especially after rain or a car wash (both immediately after to help clear off the water and a few hours afterward or next day to clear the thin surface rust).
3) There is something seriously wrong with something on your car. Maybe a bad brake caliper, but that only makes sense if you are just having a problem on one rotor.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
This shouldn't be happening. I've driven a lot of old cars, some of which I owned and drove for well over 10 years, and lots of things have failed, but I've never had to replace a rotor accept for one case where the brake pad ran out and the rivets dug into the rotor. With the S, the rotors are huge, and the brakes don't get used much. It believe it should be possible for the original set of rotors on a Model S to last for millions of miles.

1) You are being overly picky about your rotors and there has been nothing wrong with them, but Tesla replaced them anyways due to your concern.
2) Your brake usage is so incredibly low (maybe possible with a careful driver that minimizes brake use and has creep turned off) that rust is sticking to the rotors for too long and unhappy rust happenings are going on. This is a bit of a guess as it's not a scenario I have any experience with. The easy fix for this would be just to make sure you actually press on your brakes from time to time, especially after rain or a car wash (both immediately after to help clear off the water and a few hours afterward or next day to clear the thin surface rust).
3) There is something seriously wrong with something on your car. Maybe a bad brake caliper, but that only makes sense if you are just having a problem on one rotor.
4) Something else beside Galvanic Corrosion is causing the Tesla rust issues.
Possibly an induced electrical current from the drive system, stray currents from the HV battery or from the 12 Volt battery.
Brake rotors on the Tesla (huge lump of ferrous metal) are rusting much faster than other cars.
This can lead to stuck on brake pads that release with a loud crack.
It might also be contributing to "snap-off axles"
Still waiting for a polite and rational explanation for the sliced wheels.

(thread archived for future reference)

See responses inline below:

[TJ] Yep. Nope. I only mentioned it the first time after notable wheel shudder at 10,000 miles, and whenever it occurred since. See "we replace a lot of rotors" statement from the service advisor.

Again, this hasn't been a problem with at least 12 previous cars, including some heavy cars known for similar concerns. Just for grins, here's a description of one of them: FWD, 500ci engine, mid-70s vintage, iconic white convertible with red leather interior, and a 6-footer could fit in the back seat widthwise. Anyone? Anyone?

[TJ] Good idea, except it's happened whether they're noticeably rusty or not. That does add another variable - I do wash the car every two weeks - but I do brake after washing as well. And I had forgotten about creep - good point - it's never been off, tho. Maybe the salt air exacerbates the problem - will know more after inspecting other components when it's up in the air next week (see other threads about corrosion, galvanic and otherwise, over time).

[TJ]. Indeed. The most noticeable wear is right front, although one constant is there's been wear with both fronts and when I've asked, the rears, so that's at least twice.

In the end, it's frustrating I'm sure from multiple perspectives. For example,
as a shareholder I cringe a bit thinking about the definition of "a lot". On the other hand, I don't like the feel of increasing brake shudder and having to have it dealt with every other time the tires get rotated (more or less).

I can Google Image "Mercedes suspension damage" and get similar pictures to what have been posted here.
So a bunch of random damaged Model S photos proves little unless you know the back story.
Returning to the OP it would seem that there has been a failure of a ball joint whilst the suspension was at its maximum height on a rough surface. This failure caused further damage to other parts of the suspension and perhaps wheel and body work.
For a car with this mileage I can see Tesla's point of view and your own and its a pity a compromise can't be reached but there could be a third resolution. Some car insurance policies would cover the resulting damage that occurred as a direct result of the mechanical failure. So you would pay to replace the ball joint and your insurance company would pick up the tab for the strut and other damaged components. I recommend that you lodge a claim for consideration by your insurer.
As a Model S owner I am no more worried about the structural integrity of my cars suspension than normal but I might postulate why a Model S is more likely to damage suspensions than a regular car and this comes down to its high weight (2108Kg to 2239Kg) and low centre of gravity. So in a loss of control situation a Model S is less likely to roll and more likely to slide sideways into an object like a curb, resulting in wheel, suspension and frame damage.
So if there really are more pictures of Model S with suspension damage on the internet than other cars this may explain it.
For my part I will keep an eye on all mechanical aspect of my car just like I have every other one I have owned with possibly particular emphasis on tyres and suspension due to the weight.

Last edited:
Can I please ask in the most polite way how you explain the sliced wheel in this image.
22399814414_f06f6d615f_o_d.jpg

Subject Model S is sideswiped by another vehicle and loses control, then 'runs under' another ICE causing the petrol\diesel tank to catch fire. Fire consumes front of Model S including LHF tyre and part of the wheel.
But you are right this is complete speculation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Canuck
Subject Model S is sideswiped by another vehicle and loses control, then 'runs under' another ICE causing the petrol\diesel tank to catch fire. Fire consumes front of Model S including LHF tyre and part of the wheel.
But you are right this is complete speculation.

SLICED wheels.
Lots of them.
Sliced Wheels
Can only be cause by something digging into the wheel whilst it is still rotating.
Now go and search for images of Mercedes Toyota, Ford Ferrari...anything you like and see how many sliced wheels you can find.
Some awfully clever Tesla enthusiasts have suggested it is because the car ran over a sharp object on the road!
I don't THINK so!
Perhaps someone keeps leaving a live chainsaw in front of the Teslas?

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer and mobe
Ok, I call bovine fecal matter - or if you prefer, bullshit.

To date, 5 fatalities in Model S. Globally. Of which only one was caused by impact from another vehicle, and in that case, a large commercial dump truck. That's hardly "plenty" by any definition, including the biblical.

The onus is upon you to prove a fatality number in Model S greater than 5. Otherwise, to use the vernacular, shush with the rhetoric. It detracts from whatever the original point of the thread was.

This thread reminds me of Teo - a former TM denizen non-owner rumored to reside in his mother's basement. And in fairness to Teo, his original research was often more cogent than reactionary. Unlike the bulk of this thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: mobe
Two dead in sudden swerves over cliffs.
(Tesraelites insult the memory of the victims by alleging suicide or incompetence)
I dead from unintended acceleration into a swimming pool - one of many unintended acceleration incidents.
I dead in single vehicle accident after car failed to slow for an intersection and slammed into a culvert.
(There are many reports of brake failures.)
2 dead in Honda after Tesla suddenly swerved into oncoming traffic.
I dead many injured after joyrider lost control when the wheels fell off..
3 killed when a Tesla slammed into the rear of their Toyota.
1 cyclist killed when Tesla suddenly swerved across the road.

That's more than 5.
Happy now?

• Disagree
Reactions: mobe
Status
Not open for further replies.