Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two dead in sudden swerves over cliffs.
(Tesraelites insult the memory of the victims by alleging suicide or incompetence)
I dead from unintended acceleration into a swimming pool - one of many unintended acceleration incidents.
I dead in single vehicle accident after car failed to slow for an intersection and slammed into a culvert.
(There are many reports of brake failures.)
2 dead in Honda after Tesla suddenly swerved into oncoming traffic.
I dead many injured after joyrider lost control when the wheels fell off..
3 killed when a Tesla slammed into the rear of their Toyota.
1 cyclist killed when Tesla suddenly swerved across the road.

That's more than 5.
Happy now?

That's actually not more than 5 within Model S as I noted above, but thanks for proving my point.

And you forgot the fellow who stole a Model S and wrapped it around a Los Angeles light post at over 100mph. Aka fatality #1 of 5 Tesla drivers to date. And technically speaking, may he rest in peace, the fellow t-boned at the driver's door by the dump truck did survive the impact, but passed of a heart attack on the way to hospital.

Neither example cited above, btw, had anything remotely to do with suspension parts, corroded or otherwise.

With all due respect, your hypotheses appear to overreach and are unsupported by the data available. There's no grand conspiracy here - and.not enough cars yet to support even a tiny conspiracy. As hard as this may be for you to believe.

And with that, I choose to contribute nothing further to this thread unless and until it unjumps the shark.

That's actually not more than 5 within Model S as I noted above, but thanks for proving my point.

And you forgot the fellow who stole a Model S and wrapped it around a Los Angeles light post at over 100mph. Aka fatality #1 of 5 Tesla drivers to date. And technically speaking, may he rest in peace, the fellow t-boned at the driver's door by the dump truck did survive the impact, but passed of a heart attack on the way to hospital.

Neither example cited above, btw, had anything remotely to do with suspension parts, corroded or otherwise.

With all due respect, your hypotheses appear to overreach and are unsupported by the data available. There's no grand conspiracy here - and.not enough cars yet to support even a tiny conspiracy. As hard as this may be for you to believe.

And with that, I choose to contribute nothing further to this thread unless and until it unjumps the shark.
The joyrider (over-enthusiastic Tesla supporter) crashed in Hollywood.
The crash site shows a 3 wheel skid mark and a sliced wheel on the ground in front of the main crash site.
Drives too fast, hits brakes, suspension collapses and slices the wheel in half.
Wreck of fatal Hollywood crash

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/04/article-2681198-1F6477BB00000578-523_634x422.jpg

article-2681198-1F6477BB00000578-523_634x422.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Karab and mobe
Hello Pete Cordaro
OK it's not likely to be straightforward Galvanic Corrosion because if steel and aluminium are in contact it would be the aluminium that gets eaten away and not the steel but something is causing that corrosion

Could it be this
Stray Current Corrosion
Definition - What does Stray Current Corrosion mean?
The stray currents responsible for this corrosion come from DC distribution lines, railway systems, substations, and alternating current, among other sources. These currents then flow through steel structures or piping systems, causing corrosion.

Stray current corrosion can be compared to the galvanic corrosion, where the current is internally generated, although different remedial measures may be taken. Also similar are the chemical and electrical reactions at the electrolyte and the metal interfaces. The anode is taken to be the metal that corrodes, where current flows to the cathode.

Stray%20current%20Tiara%20shaft%20closeup.jpg

http://www.qualitymarineservices.net/stray_current_corrosion.html

Looks kinda similar to your ball joint.

(now wait for the Tesla fundamentalists to start screaming)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: mobe
In case there is any doubt, "Loosewheel" is obviously "Ralph Vader", also known as "Keef Wivaneef", who has been on a constant rampage trying to paint the Model S as an unsafe vehicle with wheels that just spontaneously break off at a high rate. He's also previously been banned from this board.

Edit: This is not to suggest that the OP doesn't have a legitimate complaint. A ball joint should last longer than that, obviously the grease leaked out and it rusted, became loose, and fell apart. Tesla should cover that even if it's out of warranty.

Last edited:
The joyrider (over-enthusiastic Tesla supporter) crashed in Hollywood.
The crash site shows a 3 wheel skid mark and a sliced wheel on the ground in front of the main crash site.
Drives too fast, hits brakes, suspension collapses and slices the wheel in half.
Wreck of fatal Hollywood crash

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/04/article-2681198-1F6477BB00000578-523_634x422.jpg

article-2681198-1F6477BB00000578-523_634x422.jpg

You state the order of events as such:
1. Drives too fast.
2. Hits brakes.
3. Suspension collapses.
4. Slices the wheel in half.

You have no clue what order things really happened in, though the first two are probably correct. From there, you don't know if a suspension issue caused the wheel to slice, if hitting a curb sideways at 100 MPH caused the rim to fracture and split, or when the suspension collapsed. It's all speculation.

The dude's trying to outrun the cops, and you're telling us that the lightpost was the only thing he hit? Sorry, but I think your attempt to use this as an example requires way too much speculation to root the cause as a spontaneous suspension collapse.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mobe
Hello Pete Cordaro
OK it's not likely to be straightforward Galvanic Corrosion because if steel and aluminium are in contact it would be the aluminium that gets eaten away and not the steel but something is causing that corrosion

Could it be this
Stray Current Corrosion
Definition - What does Stray Current Corrosion mean?
The stray currents responsible for this corrosion come from DC distribution lines, railway systems, substations, and alternating current, among other sources. These currents then flow through steel structures or piping systems, causing corrosion.

Stray current corrosion can be compared to the galvanic corrosion, where the current is internally generated, although different remedial measures may be taken. Also similar are the chemical and electrical reactions at the electrolyte and the metal interfaces. The anode is taken to be the metal that corrodes, where current flows to the cathode.

Stray%20current%20Tiara%20shaft%20closeup.jpg

http://www.qualitymarineservices.net/stray_current_corrosion.html

Looks kinda similar to your ball joint.

(now wait for the Tesla fundamentalists to start screaming)

Only in that they are both metal. Other than that the corrosion looks nothing like the op photo.

I dead from unintended acceleration into a swimming pool - one of many unintended acceleration incidents.
I dead in single vehicle accident after car failed to slow for an intersection and slammed into a culvert.
Sources?
Note that I've trimmed the rest of your post because it was at best counterproductive.
I've also trimmed the ones that seem to have nothing to do with injury while in a Model S, which is what I believe you were replying to.

Sources?
Note that I've trimmed the rest of your post because it was at best counterproductive.
I've also trimmed the ones that seem to have nothing to do with injury while in a Model S, which is what I believe you were replying to.

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, unless you can't think of anything better." -Mark Twain

Edit: Wait, did I just summarize this entire thread? o_O

(Tesraelites insult the memory of the victims by alleging suicide or incompetence)
(There are many reports of brake failures.)
2 dead in Honda after Tesla suddenly swerved into oncoming traffic.
3 killed when a Tesla slammed into the rear of their Toyota.
1 cyclist killed when Tesla suddenly swerved across the road.

That's more than 5.
Happy now?
here is how Tesla is keeping everyone quit. JMHO
They want me to sign a Goodwill Agreement if they Pay 50% of my repair cost. The total cost is 3100 dollars. The need to replace three of the four front control arms, EG upper and lower a-arm on the left side and the upper a-arm on the right side. It was the left side that failed. The control arm ball joint is an integral part of the a-arm or as Tesla refer Control arm. Three of four in 70 thousand miles and they say that is normal wear and tear. Get Real.
l QuotationDate: 5/5/2016
To: [email protected]
Thank you for your recent inquiry with Tesla Service. Below you find a price quote for the requested services/parts.

Service/Labor

FRT Hours

FRT Price

Front Suspension & Hubs General Diagnosis

Air Spring Module - Front - LH

Link - Sway Bar - Front - LH

Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH

Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH

Link-Sway Bar-Front-RH

Front Control Arm - Front - Lower - LH

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD)

Parts:

Price

6006351-00-C - FRONT AIR SPRING MODULE - S3, S2

6007098-00-A - FR SUSP STABAR LINK LH

2007090-00-B - NUT HFPT M10x1.25 [10]-ZnNi

6006532-00-A - FR SUSP UCA ASSY LH

6008930-00-A - FR SUSP UCA ASSY RH

6006664-00-C - FR SUSP FORE LINK ASSY RH

6008915-00-A - FR SUSP STABAR LINK RH

Subtotal Parts Price: (USD)

Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD)

Discount: (USD)

Shipping: (USD)

Estimated Tax: (USD)

Total Amount: (USD)

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service,
Tesla Service Cleveland-Lyndhurst

• Informative
Reactions: Karab and TaoJones
here is how Tesla is keeping everyone quit. JMHO
They want me to sign a Goodwill Agreement if they Pay 50% of my repair cost. The total cost is 3100 dollars. The need to replace three of the four front control arms, EG upper and lower a-arm on the left side and the upper a-arm on the right side. It was the left side that failed. The control arm ball joint is an integral part of the a-arm or as Tesla refer Control arm. Three of four in 70 thousand miles and they say that is normal wear and tear. Get Real.
l QuotationDate: 5/5/2016
To: [email protected]
Thank you for your recent inquiry with Tesla Service. Below you find a price quote for the requested services/parts.

Service/Labor

FRT Hours

FRT Price

Front Suspension & Hubs General Diagnosis

Air Spring Module - Front - LH

Link - Sway Bar - Front - LH

Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH

Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH

Link-Sway Bar-Front-RH

Front Control Arm - Front - Lower - LH

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD)

Parts:

Price

6006351-00-C - FRONT AIR SPRING MODULE - S3, S2

6007098-00-A - FR SUSP STABAR LINK LH

6006532-00-A - FR SUSP UCA ASSY LH

6008930-00-A - FR SUSP UCA ASSY RH

6006664-00-C - FR SUSP FORE LINK ASSY RH

6008915-00-A - FR SUSP STABAR LINK RH

Subtotal Parts Price: (USD)

Subtotal Services and Parts: (USD)

Discount: (USD)

Shipping: (USD)

Estimated Tax: (USD)

Total Amount: (USD)

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

Thank you for contacting Tesla Service,
Tesla Service Cleveland-Lyndhurst
clip_image002.png

GOODWILL AGREEMENT & RELEASE

CUSTOMER INFORMATION

Name:

Address:

Telephone:

VEHICLE INFORMATION

Make: TESLA Model: Model S Year: VIN:

Ref:

Tesla Motors, Inc., including its affiliates, (we, us, our, Tesla) highly values you as our customer (you, your). We are redefining the vehicle ownership experience and set extremely high standards for customer satisfaction. Pursuant to the terms in this agreement, we are extending a gesture of goodwill in providing you with parts, services or other compensation as described here (“Goodwill”):

The Goodwill is being provided to you without any admission of liability or wrongdoing or acceptance of any facts by Tesla, and shall not be treated as or considered evidence of Tesla’s liability with respect to any claim or incidents. You agree to keep confidential our provision of the Goodwill, the terms of this agreement and the incidents or claims leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. In accepting the Goodwill, you hereby release and discharge Tesla and related persons or entities from any and all claims or damages arising out of or in any way connected with any claims or incidents leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. You further agree that you will not commence, participate or voluntarily aid in any action at law or in equity or any legal proceeding against Tesla or related persons or entities based upon facts related to the claims or incidents leading to or related to this Goodwill.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have executed this agreement as of the last date below.

CUSTOMER:

TESLA:

Signature

Signature

Print Name

Name/Title

Date

Date

Tesla wants me to sigh a Goodwill Agreement in exchange for them covering 1/2 the cost of my repair.
The Goodwill is being provided to you without any admission of liability or wrongdoing or acceptance of any facts by Tesla, and shall not be treated as or considered evidence of Tesla’s liability with respect to any claim or incidents. You agree to keep confidential our provision of the Goodwill, the terms of this agreement and the incidents or claims leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. In accepting the Goodwill, you hereby release and discharge Tesla and related persons or entities from any and all claims or damages arising out of or in any way connected with any claims or incidents leading or related to our provision of the Goodwill. You further agree that you will not commence, participate or voluntarily aid in any action at law or in equity or any legal proceeding against Tesla or related persons or entities based upon facts related to the claims or incidents leading to or related to this Goodwill.

Three out of four control front control arms need replaced at 70,000 miles. They claim this is normal wear and tear.
You be the Judge.............

Do let us know how the escalation goes and to what level of management you will have to ascend in order to get this resolved.

I am as big a fan of Tesla as there is, despite having experienced a Very mixed bag of Very bad and Very stellar service experiences, yet I just cannot connect the dots between the pictures upthread and their concept of "normal wear and tear". It seems reasonable that a judge or qualified arbiter would not either, as supported by expert assessments.

Hey, look at it this way - you're halfway there. In fact, this may be a game that on-the-ground service personnel now feel compelled to play before getting senior management's approval to cover the repairs gratis. It's how people act when under the thumb of publicly announced cost containment measures. Unfortunate, tho - tends to kill the word of mouth, which is Very Bad for a company with no advertising budget and that is quite proud of a 98% owner satisfaction rate. These episodes do not help that, and that's a shame.

Good luck.

Added:

Yeah, those goodwill agreements are a trip. While I have never had to sign one, I have always acted as if I did when I know the manager with whom I've worked prefers it that way for a particular issue - for the very few issues in context, as it is.

Fortunately, there are enough episodes of good and bad service that are explicitly not covered by such (verbal) assertions, that I have not been particularly fettered when discussing service with prospective buyers who ask. I mean, frankly, the hardest part has been impressing upon anyone who's owned a few (non-Tesla) cars that repair service can actually not suck. They just don't believe that it can be, on balance, very good by comparison with ANY ICE stealership. Remember that for new car stealerships in particular, service revenue is what, 74% of their net? Bleh. No wonder.

Last edited:
Tesla can take their ...

I feel bad for you. You were the victim of an unfortunate circumstance, followed here in the forums by being the victim of manipulation.

The unfortunate incident that resulted in the damage to your car was out of warranty, yet Tesla said, "Hey, as a show of good faith we'll go in halfsies with you." All they asked was that you promise not bad-mouth them, which is reasonable since they were willing to split the cost.

Instead, you've allowed yourself to be manipulated by someone who's obviously anti-Tesla, who provides half truths frequently out of context, and who shows "proof" as google image searches without valid context. Right now you're acting strictly out of emotion, and that's understandable, but ultimately Tesla tried to work this out with you. They can't provide free service to every out-of-warranty car or they'd be on their way to extinction. That's why they sell the extended warranty (which I'm feeling more and more inclined to purchase).

You screwed up by not buying the warranty and they tried to help you out. Notice that "Lucille", AKA "Loosewheel", AKA Ralph Vader, AKA who-knows-what-else, has been banned from this forum under all these names. There's a reason for that. He spreads fear, he infected you, and now YOU will be paying the price for it, not him.

Unfortunately, by posting the confidentiality agreement from Tesla, you've permanently burned that bridge, now and in the future. So as I said, I feel bad for you. Had a fear monger not interceded, you'd be out only half as much money and you'd likely be very happy with those results.

-- MM3

Last edited by a moderator:
You make it sound as if it is his fault.

I think Tesla should pay the full bill and they should really, really improve the quality of their cars.

And it does not help to start a conspiracy theory whenever someone criticizes Tesla.

I never said it was all his fault. I said that Tesla tried to meet him in the middle and he let his emotions get in the way of their meet-you-in-the-middle offer from them, and that rash decision is now going to cost him $1.5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.