Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle doesn't go on an alignment rack. The alignment rack is attached to the wheels. The car is driven onto a service lift.

I attached an image of a GTR on a Hunter alignment machine. The wheels are not dangling.

Here is my car on such a machine. You can't see the wheels is why I used the GTR image above, but the wheels are resting on the red rails of the lift.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 61
Ball joint failure or suspension fracturing should not be happening, even on a bumpy road.

Sometimes parts break. It's more likely to happen under harsh conditions, i.e bumpy dirt road. It's usually not a recall issue or worthy of investigation.

Let the NTSHA finish their investigation.

It doesn't even appear that they are starting one. They seem to have already decided this is a non issue, no matter how much you seem to want to try and make it into one.

Since Tesla has been trying to suppress information on this,

They have not.

we don't know how many cars are affected.

You never would for any repair from any car from any manufacturer, unless it warrants an official investigation, which this does not.

This would be a very expensive recall at a critical time for them.

It won't happen, so not an issue.

I attached an image of a GTR on a Hunter alignment machine. The wheels are not dangling.

Here is my car on such a machine. You can't see the wheels is why I used the GTR image above, but the wheels are resting on the red rails of the lift.

Wheels never dangle during alignment. You can't do an alignment without the vehicle fully loading the suspension. I was responding to your statement that the car is never on a lift which is not true. An alignment lift is still a lift and still gives you access to examine suspension components without having to take the wheels off.

Pray tell, what information have they suppressed? Seems the owner has said quite a lot without repurcussions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/business/tesla-model-s-nhtsa-suspension-failure.html?_r=0

Here's an article from the lamestream media (NYT): They state since OCTOBER, 33 complaints of suspension failure reported to NTSHA. I wasn't aware, were you? Maybe they will find the complaints to be bogus. Sounds like they are now on it, and we will know eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Wheels never dangle during alignment. You can't do an alignment without the vehicle fully loading the suspension. I was responding to your statement that the car is never on a lift which is not true. An alignment lift is still a lift and still gives you access to examine suspension components without having to take the wheels off.

However, to check the ball joint, you would have to raise the car and take all the load off the wheel. You missed the dangling part.

If the OP went in for an alignment, Sears may not have noticed the ball joint problem by just using an alignment machine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/business/tesla-model-s-nhtsa-suspension-failure.html?_r=0

Here's an article from the lamestream media (NYT): They state 33 complaints of suspension failure reported to NTSHA. I wasn't aware, were you? Maybe they will find the complaints to be bogus. Sounds like they are now on it, and we will know eventually.

I was aware, because there is a lunatic named Keef Wivaneef who has been constantly scouring the internet for pictures of accident damaged Tesla's and reporting each one as if it was a suspension failure issue, with absolutely zero evidence that was the case. He's wasting investigator's time chasing fantasies when they should be looking for real problems, much like yourself.

Ball joint failure or suspension fracturing should not be happening, even on a bumpy road.

Ball joint failure is a fact of life for every car. The question here is if this is (a) a design issue, (b) a manufacturing issue, or (c) a owner maintenance issue. It seems highly unlikely that its (a) as we would have more verified reports. It could be (b) with a bad batch of parts, but again, you would expect to see more reports. My money is on (c) since its inconceivable to me you could drive around for any length of time with a ball joint like that.

Since Tesla has been trying to suppress information on this,
Really? Where? Is the OP the only morally outraged owner who would put safety of others over his wallet..oh, wait...

we don't know how many cars are affected.
Let me ask you the question a different way--do you know its more than this one car?

But he was still on a road. Maybe it wasn't paved, but a road nonetheless.

Sigh. All you have to do is read the warranty.

In the exclusion sections:

"Driving the vehicle off-road, over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed;"

Additionally:

"Tesla may also occasionally offer to pay a portion or all of the cost of certain vehicle repairs that are no longer covered by this New Vehicle Limited Warranty on an ad hoc case-by-case basis. Tesla reserves the right to do the above and to make changes to vehicles manufactured or sold by Tesla and the applicable warranties, at any time, without incurring any obligation to make the same or similar payment or changes for vehicles Tesla previously manufactured or sold, or applicable warranties including this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Nothing herein shall imply that any Tesla vehicle is free of defects."

We are not in a court of law so it is ridiculous to try and define off-road here. Besides, were we in a court of law it would be pretty obvious that a steep hill, requiring air suspension to be raised to max, and requiring a person to drive 2-5 miles an hour is unlikely to be normal use in a luxury sedan....

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and Vitold

Here's an article from the lamestream media (NYT): They state 33 complaints of suspension failure reported to NTSHA. I wasn't aware, were you? Maybe they will find the complaints to be bogus. Sounds like they are now on it, and we will know eventually.

You do know that these are mostly Keef Wivaneff, right? With crashed vehicles. Keef has been stuffing NHTSA's complaint box for a long time. I am surprised the number is only 33. He's been slacking off.

By the way, there's no need for owners to notify NHTSA. Keef has been offering that service for a long time. Of course, a lot of it is Keef's imagination, but think of the safety of the owners and their families!

Reactions: trils0n
I was aware, because there is a lunatic named Keef Wivaneef who has been constantly scouring the internet for pictures of accident damaged Tesla's and reporting each one as if it was a suspension failure issue, with absolutely zero evidence that was the case. He's wasting investigator's time chasing fantasies when they should be looking for real problems, much like yourself.

Yup. Next.

Read this, should answer most of your questions:
ou do know that these are mostly Keef Wivaneff, right? With crashed vehicles. Keef has been stuffing NHTSA's complaint box for a long time. I am surprised the number is only 33. He's been slacking off.
He must have obtained the VIN numbers. I'm sure they will be trying to determine: which happened first, the crash or the suspension failure...

Well, it was dripping with sarcasm, and they did call him out by name, and then accused him of being a short. That might be true, but the tone is not really what I would expect as a professional response by a major auto company. I would have expected something more along the lines of "the original blogger did not report all the facts correctly and Tesla strongly disagrees with his conclusions" or similar. Not this whole rant:

Finally, it is worth noting that the blogger who fabricated this issue, which then caused negative and incorrect news to be written about Tesla by reputable institutions, is Edward Niedermeyer. This is the same gentle soul who previously wrote a blog titled “Tesla Death Watch,” which starting on May 19, 2008 was counting the days until Tesla’s death. It has now been 2,944 days. We just checked our pulse and, much to his chagrin, appear to be alive. It is probably wise to take Mr. Niedermeyer’s words with at least a small grain of salt.

We don’t know if Mr. Niedermeyer’s motivation is simply to set a world record for axe-grinding or whether he or his associates have something financial to gain by negatively affecting Tesla’s stock price, but it is important to highlight that there are several billion dollars in short sale bets against Tesla. This means that there is a strong financial incentive to greatly amplify minor issues and to create false issues from whole cloth.

They should have taken the high road, not the low one.
Exactly! And there are other factual errors in this personal attack on the blogger. He has refuted Tesla's (ELon's?) statements in the link below. He didn't start the 2008 blog Tesla is referring to. But he did investigate the battery swap scam Tesla was doing in CA to get 9 ZEV credits from CARB. Now, even CARB chairwoman agrees that Tesla played a game. Seems Tesla is still sore on that one.

Exclusive: Automotive Blogger Attacked By Tesla Over Investigation Has 'More to Come' - Breitbart

AND.. Here comes the NDA revision!!
Tesla to revise customer nondisclosure agreements

Last edited:
Driving the vehicle off-road, over uneven, rough, damaged or hazardous surfaces, including but not limited to, curbs, potholes, unfinished roads, debris, or other obstacles, or in competition, racing or autocross or for any other purposes for which the vehicle is not designed

Hmm, that definition includes a lot of "paved" roads here in CA. Granted, if I hit a giant pothole that then damages my suspension (been there, done that), I don't expect that to be covered under warranty. But many of the maintained streets in my town are unpaved. Guess if I lived on one, I shouldn't buy a Tesla.

I wonder if the X warranty says the same thing? I'd be pretty unhappy about buying an SUV that I couldn't actually take down a dirt road.

Status
Not open for further replies.