Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am patiently waiting for the OP, @Drivin, @Dr ValueSeeker and @X Yes? to express their relief that Model S's suspension has been declared safe by the NHTSA. After all, they were only out to seek the truth and protect Model S owners.

I am also patiently waiting for them to express their outrage that a fraudster filed 37 false complaints about suspension problems for the Model S. I am sure it is very upsetting to be duped like that.

I expect I'll be waiting a long time. But I am a patient man.

That's a fair request. I know some of you view Musk's tweets as the final word on any dispute. I'll wait for an announcement from the NTSHA. If there were 37 false reports, I hope they find a way to prosecute. I agree everyone needs to calm down and wait to see where this leads. The press is on the case will have some answers. We may hear from some folks that thought they were previously silenced, now candid about their experiences.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Clearly, truth is not what you seek.

LOL! If by "truth" you mean the gospels that come from the Almighty at the helm of Tesla, then NO. I don't seek his lies.
He has lied plenty. I can only thank him for his lies, as by not believing in his gospels, I have made a good bit of profits.

BTW, if you read my comments here, I have myself said that this suspension issue may turn out to be a non-issue (though still not proven either way). But the main objection was the NDA, which has been ratified. Hope, this will help owners and everyone in the future. Safety on the road should be the first concern for everyone.

Last edited:
LOL! If by "truth" you mean the gospels that come from the Almighty at the helm of Tesla, then NO. I don't seek his lies.
He has lied plenty. I can only thank him for his lies, as by not believing in his gospels, I have made a good bit of profits.

I think he means actual truth. Instead of spin, maliciousness, nefariousness...you know...your bread and butter.

Unless you think Elon is lying, that is what they told Tesla. Do you have any reason to doubt it?

And what about this character or characters who filed 37 false Model S suspension complaints, and all of the people who have been repeating those complaints. Despicable, no??

Did you read what was actually written in the post?
It did not say they were cleared and that the NHTSA declared the suspension was safe. Look at the timeline. Again, maybe that is the case and I hope that there is a definitive statement since uncertainty is never good.

Yes, the complaints issue is despicable. A complete disservice to getting to the truth - and potentially damaging to any legit complaints in the 3 out of the 40 (If I read that right).

Wasn't Elon referring to HIS roadster, i.e. a prototype?

Yes. He said it during the last shareholders meeting. No transcript that I can find.

Article
Relevant part:
"Frankly, this car, although it passed all the regulatory requirements for a street-legal car, was completely unsafe," said Musk.

He noted that the vehicle broke down all the time, tended to get "stuck" in second gear, and was primarily "hand-built."

As it turns out, the first Tesla Roadster sold was actually to Musk himself, the CEO recounted on Tuesday.

• Informative
Reactions: mobe
Thanks for digging it up. Keef Wivaneff, aka Lucile, aka Loose Wheels, aka Ralph Vader did some good investigative work in that case while the Australian govt. and main media slept. I do not see anything wrong with him collecting pictures of wrecked Teslas, since owners often don't report these issues. In the early part of this thread (before the thread was taken over by the trolls from the investor thread), he showed a good bit of research on this subject.

It's just unfortunate that anyone who speaks against the rich and powerful and the popular sentiment have to be suppressed and banned. Obviously, everyone wants to feast while the party lasts.

Did that "investigative work" include stuffing an NHTSA (or equivalent) ballot box with complaints that were fraudulent in some way?

Did you read what was actually written in the post?
It did not say they were cleared and that the NHTSA declared the suspension was safe. Look at the timeline. Again, maybe that is the case and I hope that there is a definitive statement since uncertainty is never good.

Yes, the complaints issue is despicable. A complete disservice to getting to the truth - and potentially damaging to any legit complaints in the 3 out of the 40 (If I read that right).

I read it right:

Elon MuskVerified account‏@elonmusk
NHTSA confirmed today that they found no safety concern with the Model S suspension and have no further need for data from us on this matter

Of greater concern: 37 of 40 suspension complaints to NHTSA were fraudulent, i.e. false location or vehicle identification numbers were used

Would seem to indicate that one or more people sought to create the false impression of a safety issue where none existed. Q is why?

I'll go with what Elon said over an anonymous poster on the internet.

Oh dear. You really don't know how to find stuff on the internet.

Elon didn't say what you implied he said. He said there were a lot of problems. He never said that anything that was unsafe wasn't well known/reported. That was your implication.

I'm not exactly anonymous, since I've hosted parties at my house for a couple hundred forum members. Or just follow my twitter link and I'm there, too, complete with last name. Since I've mentioned my local service center more than once and also am president of our local Tesla Owners Club, I'm fairly easy to locate. :) But way to try to dismiss someone with actual knowledge over your need to twist words into the negative.

BTW, how many years did you own a Roadster? Still have it? If not, why did you sell it?
Nothing 'did' about it. I 'do' own a Roadster. I bought a Roadster Sport 2.5 at the end of 2011. And yes, I still have it. It's my daily driver.

You?

Maybe it's just me but 1) splitting a $3,100 repair after 73,000 miles of driving doesn't seem like a bad deal (I can't tell you how many thousands I spent on repairs for our A4 on things that shouldn't have failed...and they never offered to split the bill) and 2) when I read that clause on the Goodwill doc, I simply took that to mean that I shouldn't run around telling everyone about the deal/arrangement itself - that's not inclusive of the issue or repair.

I have to say that I am disgusted, at the way some members of this forum have behaved towards gpcordardo. This is a safety issue! Just because some individuals like myself live in California and will likely experience this issue does not mean there is a defect or design issue. There are thousands upon thousands of teslas operting in areas were roads are salted and near the beach. Tesla is not infallible, it does and will do many mistakes. Principally, I am astonished that tesla would require a non disclosure contract in order to fix vehicles out of warranty . Furthermore, to bich in order to protect your bottom line is beyond reason. How much money do you need? Lives are potentionally at stake! Finally, there are 400,000 people who are going to buy model iii's. Tesla cannot continue to use such tactics. People are going to expect a near perfect car, with no reliability problems if they are going to spend 35k. If chevy ever required such clauses to get my Volt repaired I would never buy from them again! Tesla better warranty Model III'S with at least a warranty that matches a Kia. Else we can expect the start of the demise of tesla.

"This is a safety issue!" is going to have to be our go to "think of the children!" phrase.

@JoRey, you are a bit late to the party. Once you've caught up on the last dozen or two pages of discussion, please turn out the lights and lock the door. I'm heading out.

@bonnie, it is a sad day when you have to identify who you are in this manner here. So sad.

I'd sure put NDAs in place if I gave people a better deal than my policy stated - because you can count on the fact that they would be here on the forum the next day letting everyone know that Tesla did it gratis or split the cost or whatever. (No? Just see the thread about 'what swag did you receive?' ... it resulted in standardized swag for everyone because of the blowback of people screaming, 'but he got a jacket and I know because I saw it on the forum!!'.)

The NDAs aren't for the purpose of shutting down any safety issue. I can't believe how many people are so ready to read nefarious intent into something so simple. smh.

On a more important note since important people seem to be reading this thread...

1. Can I has my Tesla now pweeese? :-D The wait is killing me.

2. Can I has access to some AP maps data please? Got some machine learning work to do and I'm totally used to signing NDAs.

Also, on a side note... I have signed an NDA with an auto manufacturer before. It did not seem unusual at all. And that was a $350k machine.

I also sign NDAs for almost every business project I do and require them of all my employees.

Reactions: mobe and Krugerrand
Eh, it just made me realize how little I'm around anymore. And then realized it was because of threads like this one.

It's always good to see you commenting, Bonnie. For those who have any doubt, Bonnie has long been a rock solid member here. She chastised me over three years ago for being a newbie trying to provide advice to others with one of my first TMC posts. We've since become friends and have even shared a nice phone conversation.

Bonnie, I believe we were last discussing the problems with states disallowing direct car sales. I expect Tesla will eventually sue a state in the Supreme Court. They may be waiting for Mrs. Clinton to nominate a replacement for Justice Scalia. He espoused a weak interpretation of the Constitution's interstate commerce clause. A new justice may be more willing to enforce it.

Maybe it's just me but 1) splitting a $3,100 repair after 73,000 miles of driving doesn't seem like a bad deal (I can't tell you how many thousands I spent on repairs for our A4 on things that shouldn't have failed...and they never offered to split the bill) and 2) when I read that clause on the Goodwill doc, I simply took that to mean that I shouldn't run around telling everyone about the deal/arrangement itself - that's not inclusive of the issue or repair.

Exactly. A reasonable response (which I feel qualified to say because it's my reaction, too. :) )

Reactions: TMSE
I'd sure put NDAs in place if I gave people a better deal than my policy stated - because you can count on the fact that they would be here on the forum the next day letting everyone know that Tesla did it gratis or split the cost or whatever. (No? Just see the thread about 'what swag did you receive?' ... it resulted in standardized swag for everyone because of the blowback of people screaming, 'but he got a jacket and I know because I saw it on the forum!!'.)

The NDAs aren't for the purpose of shutting down any safety issue. I can't believe how many people are so ready to read nefarious intent into something so simple. smh.

If it confused so many people, including NHTSA, who called it "troublesome", then it requires clarification/modification. Glad Tesla has agreed to do that finally. Peace.

Well, I am very glad to know this isn't a larger issue! Makes me feel better about buying a CPO if it came from a salt road state.

I do feel sorry for the OP- he had a crappy failure that was expensive out of warranty, and I can easily see myself being angry in that situation. Especially if I thought it might have happened at highway speeds with a much different result. Whatever his faults were with maintenance or road conditions of the car, he didn't deserve to be dragged along with that crazy dude who wrote the false claims and for the whole media show.

I will say though, that I hope I never cross Tesla in my dealings with them. They are rough with customers they feel did them wrong in their public statements.

IMHO, the only thing the Model S owner should have said after his car was fixed was "Thank you."
Robin

I would like to add my unnecessary comment:

How is posting this issue helping anyone?

And if anyone thinks it is necessary to save someone else from buying a possible safety issue, Really?? If I were Tesla, I would no longer try to help anyone who was over the warranty, although they DID replace my windshield at 55,000 miles on my Signature, but with owners like this, that's now out, for sure. And I would think that anyone who becomes known as a troll or negative spin guru should certainly never have to own one of these death traps! Hope Tesla never sells you one, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.