Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think he means this:

HLd2JH9.jpg

3,000 miles in 7 months, and getting all his complaints out at the same time...I guess.

This does not make sense ... A brake issue reported as a suspension failure. :oops:

Date Complaint Filed: 06/13/2016
Date of Incident: 11/06/2015
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES
NHTSA ID Number: 10873811
Consumer Location: KANKAKEE, IL

All Products Associated with this Complaint
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
  • TESLAMODEL S2013
Details
All Products Associated with this Complaint

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
  • TESLAMODEL S2013
Details
question-mark.png

Documents uploaded by a consumer during the online complaint process will be unavailable until a quality control review is complete.
close.gif

0 Available Documents

• Crash:No
  • Fire:No
  • Number of Injuries:0
  • Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1AG1DF...

SUMMARY:
AT 45K MILES MY SUSPENSION FAILED. IT REQUIRED A NEW CONTROL ARM AND SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT. TESLA SAID "DROVE VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE. UPON INSPECTION FOUND LEFT FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM JOINT TO HAVE EXCESSIVE FREEPLAY." THE INDIVIDUAL AT TESLA SAID IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. I WAS DRIVING THE CAR AND HEARD A CRACK NOISE WHILE GOING DOWN A STREET. FROM THEN ON OUT MY CAR MADE LOUD SQUEAKING AND CRACKING NOISES.
Request Research
question-mark.png

Another inconsistency ... what is the real story Mr. Cordaro? :cool:

Following this thread is like following a horrible Showtime suspense film at 3am. I'm certain there's a plot, but there so much bad acting and poorly developed characters that I can only keep enough interest to stay barely awake. And tomorrow I won't be able to tell you exactly what was going on or how it all resolved itself.. maybe just the title.

I think he means this:

HLd2JH9.jpg

3,000 miles in 7 months, and getting all his complaints out at the same time...I guess.

Here are my thoughts on the suspension report:
  • "At 45 miles my suspension failed" - obvious overstatement, as there was no suspension failure as in collapse or breakage (as in Mr. Cordaro case). I would call it suspension worn part(s), rather than failure.

• This report seems to settle discussion upthread on whether worn upper control arm components produce any unusual sounds indicating that further attention/inspection is warranted - they do. As reported by Tesla technician: "drove vehicle and confirmed noise from front of vehicle. Upon inspection found left front upper control arm joint to have excessive freeplay". So both the owner and Tesla technician were able to hear unusual noise. The owner than did a sensible thing, reported the issue and Tesla replaced the control arm with excessive wear before there was catastrophic failure. The above seem to confirm a common opinion that Mr. Cordaro likely ignored warning signs from the worn suspension component and for some reason drove the car until complete ball joint failure.

• The failure experienced by Mr. Cordaro, due to, as termed by Tesla, "very abnormal rust" on the ball joint, is still a unique, one of a kind case.

Following this thread is like following a horrible Showtime suspense film at 3am. I'm certain there's a plot, but there so much bad acting and poorly developed characters that I can only keep enough interest to stay barely awake. And tomorrow I won't be able to tell you exactly what was going on or how it all resolved itself.. maybe just the title.

I think it's time for this thread to bring in the Mystery Science Theater crew

• "At 45 miles my suspension failed" - obvious overstatement, as there was no suspension failure as in collapse or breakage (as in Mr. Cordaro case). I would call it suspension worn part(s), rather than failure.

• This report seems to settle discussion upthread on whether worn upper control arm components produce any unusual sounds indicating that further attention/inspection is warranted - they do. As reported by Tesla technician: "drove vehicle and confirmed noise from front of vehicle. Upon inspection found left front upper control arm joint to have excessive freeplay". So both the owner and Tesla technician were able to hear unusual noise. The owner than did a sensible thing, reported the issue and Tesla replaced the control arm with excessive wear before there was catastrophic failure. The above seem to confirm a common opinion that Mr. Cordaro likely ignored warning signs from the worn suspension component and for some reason drove the car until complete ball joint failure.

• The failure experienced by Mr. Cordaro, due to, as termed by Tesla, "very abnormal rust" on the ball joint, is still a unique, one of a kind case.

Generally speaking, this thread has become a charade.

Reviewing the NHSTA document and the complaints logged against Tesla confirms my belief.
The last two posts on the NHSTA site (same VIN, same Consumer Location) dated 6/13/2016: one "incident" occurred on 11/06/2015 @ 42K Miles on the car.
The second "incident" occurred on 6/09/2016, and was identified as noise by the owner and confirmed by Tesla employee. The poorly written incident should have been addressed and resolved by Tesla Service Center, but that is NOT clearly stated or understood.
I know if I hear a "squeaking and cracking noise" coming from my car, I am leaving that vehicle at the Service Center until the issue is fully resolved.

A BUNCH of the other "incidents" reek of fraud, a hoax or abuse of the system to report valid concerns.
Missing VINs, cars in salvage yards, too many unknown Consumer Locations (???), multiple posts with "Here is another Tesla", "please investigate", at least 23 were authored by *TR.
Seriously.
NONE of the Teslas he reported about were his cars, or had even been driven by him, he invents a story to go with whatever pops into his head.
A couple other "authors", maybe the same person with alternate pen Initials?? *JS, *LN?
Thank you for your service *TR. ==>>> Now go crawl back under your rock.

The real problem with all the false and nebulous complaints is the three to five valid ones are then harder to find, verify and correct.
Too many of the "incidents" are people (??) crying "wolf" where there is none, never was one.
And when the couple of instances that a valid concern might have occurred (nobody is perfect), most of us have become too jaded to take the complaint/symptom seriously.

Reactions: v12 to 12v

To Mr Corado defense maybe, for the most part, he was not the one driving the car therefore he did not hear it. Didn't someone here found that he had car renting business?

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
To Mr Corado defense maybe, for the most part, he was not the one driving the car therefore he did not hear it. Didn't someone here found that he had car renting business?

I thought the conclusion was that his leasing company was set-up to get tax advantaged status for vehicles used in his catering business. It is my understanding that this conclusion was based on the fact that both companies (leasing and catering) listed exactly the same quantity of vehicles - 140. While it is possible that his Tesla has seen significant percentage of business use (as Mr. Coradaro stated that his house is only 2 miles away from his business, while the car had more than 73K miles in just three years), all indications are that it is his personal use vehicle.

Mr Cordaro,

This is real strange that you are still posting stuff about NHTSA and Tesla cars. The two complaints that were filed have both been resolved rather uneventfully it seems. One via an easy software update, and the other was a known upper control arm replacement (which Tesla already had a technical bulletin about), which the Tesla service tech noticed "play". Ok... so what? What is your further motive here?

My thoughts:

1. You've changed your numbers of "how many times driven on a dirt road". Different articles quote you saying 2 times, or maybe 10. Other times within this thread you said other numbers.

2. A ball joint that gets THAT rusted is just insane to not notice whild driving. I mean, it's not like the rust just happens overnight, it takes a long time and a lot of miles driven to get to that point. Most people would notice sounds or creaking or something.

3. This is the only joint that you had a problem with. The other three are fine. Ever think that it isn't a fleet-wide issue, as it isn't even a single-car-wide issue?

4. You live 2 miles (4km) from your business. Yet drove 70,000 miles (140,000km) in 3 years? That's a lot of driving, considering majority owners would have done about 40% of that. For some odd reason again, I am having trouble believing that 140,000km of driving meant only being on a dirt road 2 times...or was it 10 or whatever?

5. The NDA was signed and you had partially paid-for repair done by Tesla, even though it was out of warranty. This was very nice of Tesla to do this for you! How many car companies in the world would see one rusty ball joint on their car, out of warranty, caked in dirt/mud, and replace the one ball joint for free? ZERO. Sure you had to fight them on it, but they met you half way. The NDA did not bar you from filing NHSTA complaint. The language has now been changed so that other people who do not have legal counsel will understand that you can always complain to NHTSA.

6. It is getting obvious that you have been brought into the spotlight, probably unknowingly, by nutcases like Keef. The short positions taken in the stock market will latch onto any nutcase, or owner with a problem, and run with it. Morphing it into something major and crazy just to make a quick trade. You're situation has just been used like a pawn in their games.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Status
Not open for further replies.