Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension upgrade to early Model 3

Should I replace the original suspension with what Tesla is offering as a replacement

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend doing it. Ride is much less harsh. I did not notice any reduction in cornering ability, though I don’t drive it on a track. Service invoice says:

“Correction: Retrofit Springs, Dampers, and Rear Lower Fore Links With Updated Components”

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
So hang on a second .... let me make sure I understand this.

Tesla made a production change to soften the suspension a bit ...

And has offered to retrofit, at no cost to the owner, models that were structurally sound, reliable and safe, just because it makes for a better feel?

That’s .... incredible. Simply incredible.

Someone please verify for me that I’m actually understanding that right .... because that’s just mind blowing customer service.

And has offered to retrofit, at no cost to the owner, models that were structurally sound, reliable and safe, just because it makes for a better feel?

Someone please verify for me that I’m actually understanding that right .... because that’s just mind blowing customer service.

Yes, that is correct.

When everyone describes the new suspension as 'soft", would this include bouncy? I have had mine for 10,000 miles and something needs to change. It almost makes you sick and at night on the right road the headlights will keep bouncing into the car ahead's side mirrors. I have a July 2018 build with one of the first AWD's.

I purchased a Model 3 last March. It therefore has the rough (sporty) suspension. I asked about this and was told that Tesla will install a new suspension that is soft. Softer than what is in the new Model 3's. It was described as like riding an old Cadillac. I have never ridden an old Cadillac and they said the only person to have it installed paid to put the original back in at about $7000. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this done and what they think about it. I do not drive a lot on curvy roads, but do drive on Oakland's pothole-ridden streets.
I would not recommend getting the new suspension. It is squishy on fast speed turns and it kicks up like an uncontrollable horse loosing traction, similar to a Cadillac. Not something you want in a car with such great performance and handling characteristics. It also bottoms out hitting the rear stoppers at higher speeds over mild bumps. In my opinion it is quite unsafe but if you are a mellow driver and like that non performance soft feel then it will be fine.

The better choice would be to get some better after market suspension like the MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers RWD over any stock offering. These progressive coil-overs will be softer and better at absorbing little bumps while stiffer when you need them to be as when you drive more aggressively. Neither of the Tesla suspension versions are any good.

they said that they can't install the new version of shocks in the old version of the Model 3

Could you ask them why not/what is different? I would love to know!

I would not recommend getting the new suspension. It is squishy on fast speed turns and it kicks up like an uncontrollable horse loosing traction, similar to a Cadillac. Not something you want in a car with such great performance and handling characteristics. It also bottoms out hitting the rear stoppers at higher speeds over mild bumps. In my opinion it is quite unsafe but if you are a mellow driver and like that non performance soft feel then it will be fine.

While i too would prefer the original stiff suspension (I used to have it), i think most people (90%+) would rather have the softer one. I know you from other threads, @Perry, and you are quite the sporty driver ;) I'm not sure OP (or many other people lol) fall into that same category!

I agree with what everyone else has said - the original is more fun and sporty, but a little harsher. It's really your personal preference, i dont think the new one is "too soft" from rides i've taken with friends.

I agree with what everyone else has said - the original is more fun and sporty, but a little harsher. It's really your personal preference, i dont think the new one is "too soft" from rides i've taken with friends.

Yes you are right, like i said, if you like to take it easy then the new soft suspension is fine. But if you like spirited driving it is not good. The good thing about MPP comfort coil-overs is that they do both. They add comfort on normal driving, above that of even the soft stock ride while providing superior support when you lean into it. So best of both worlds. In any case it is a lot better than spending money to get the stock ones installed at a Tesla shop for what I believe the OP said $7000?! That is ridiculous.

It's going to get quite confusing if Tesla start swapping out suspension without letting people know exactly what they're getting.

I bought a 911 several years ago and the factory 'standard' suspension was just not suitable for track driving, so I had it replaced with the Porsche factory 'sports' suspension. That allowed me to compare notes with other drivers and we all knew we were comparing 'standard' with 'sports'. We didn't know or care about the individual part numbers. It was a simple designation by Porsche. There may have been minor changes in all the suspension components within a particular model of 911 but on the whole if you drove an early 996 with sports suspension it would feel very similar to a late 996 with sports suspension. You knew what you were getting.

Now it seems there are already Model 3s out there with different suspension depending on when they were built and then others having different components retro-fitted by Tesla to make them more or less 'comfortable', so it's going to make comparisons about ride quality and handling very difficult unless the part numbers are known and understood.

In the current parts list, there are 2 different rear damper assemblies listed and 7 different front damper/coil sets with designations like "RWD E1D", "E2 AWD" "E2 RWD" etc. so it's possible to guess which models they're designed for ,but nothing to help with how stiff/sporty/comfortable they'e supposed to be.

Looking forward, there could come a time when a single damper or spring needs to be replace due to accident damage or wear and other than trying to match part numbers on the components there doesn't seem to be a way for owners to know what type of suspension the car is fitted with.

I know I would want to know what suspension I'm getting when I buy a Model 3, whether it's a new or used one and this approach seems to muddy the waters where that's concerned.

That's amazing.

I'm going to have to call and order it to be installed.

Picked up my Model 3 on Friday that had the suspension retrofit. It is by no means "like a Cadillac" nor does it float down the road. Having driven the car for 14 months on the old suspension I absolutely do notice a difference, but it is very slight. The suspension is still very much in the stiff and sporty category, but I think it takes just enough of an edge off to make a comfortable ride now.

Personal tastes vary, but for me, I'm very glad I did this and would recommend it to others. I'm attaching a section from the invoice that shows what was done.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 6.54.57 AM.png

Reactions: BrakeDome
This still really impresses me. I slid my XT5 on ice into a curb at the end of my street this winter - was doing less than 10mph. Completely mangled the lower control arm.

Needed to replace that, the scratched up wheel and a full alignment. $1200 all in.

Tesla is doing basically (except the wheel) the same work at no cost - just for customer sat. That’s impressive!

Last edited:
Picked up my Model 3 on Friday that had the suspension retrofit. It is by no means "like a Cadillac" nor does it float down the road. Having driven the car for 14 months on the old suspension I absolutely do notice a difference, but it is very slight. The suspension is still very much in the stiff and sporty category, but I think it takes just enough of an edge off to make a comfortable ride now.

Personal tastes vary, but for me, I'm very glad I did this and would recommend it to others. I'm attaching a section from the invoice that shows what was done.

View attachment 384769

Thanks for sharing, awesome that you got the suspension swapped at no charge. I’m assuming Tesla also did a full re-alignment of your car too? Was that a separate line item and did they provide a print out of the car within spec?

It would also be interesting to know what's different about the lower fore links they put on with this kit.

If someone who's had this kit fitted could take a look at the part number stickers on the dampers, springs and links we could see how they match with the current parts list.

I suspect the original parts fitted to the RWD cars are now obsolete and can't be obtained, so if someone had a fault or damage to one damper or spring, they would have to have both sides replaced, or maybe even all 4 corners. This could make future out of warranty repairs rather expensive...