Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Darwin road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well there you go... you learn something new every day. Thanks!

My car is pre heat-pump and the resistive heater is still a power hog that is noticeable enough that it impacts Wh/km. I wish I could turn it off but keep the fan on. I guess I could turn the manual temp down to 16 or 18 or something to stop it, but it‘s a clunky work-around and probably imperfect.

I have a pre-heat pump car, as well. Setting the temperature to LO with the A/C off will give you fan only.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I'll cover my charging kit in the next video, but here is what I have. [] Is how many times I've used them so far.
32 amp -3 phase (11kw) TOCA evse charger.[3]
A 20amp 3 phase to 32 amp 3 phase adaptor (Toca) [0]
UMC with 10a[1], 15a[1], 32a 1-phase [0], 32a 3- phase (7kw) tails. [0]
Type 2 to type 2 cable [0]
15a extension cord [1]

The model 3 would be a lot better remote touring car if it had a 22kw AC charger like the S. This is where cars like the ioniq could actually be better out here.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
I can't imagine the upload speed is great in the middle of the NT, however I am also eagerly anticipating the final leg of the journey. Fingers crossed everything is ok.

There's 7 locations with working 32 amp three phase power outlets in a 970km section between the Threeways Roadhouse and Darwin (thanks to Hunter from Alice Springs), looking at Plugshare comments gm12 is doing fine.

There's 7 locations with working 32 amp three phase power outlets in a 970km section between the Threeways Roadhouse and Darwin (thanks to Hunter from Alice Springs), looking at Plugshare comments gm12 is doing fine.

If I was having fun on an EV adventure in the outback, making YouTube videos and uploading them would not be at the top of my daily to-do list! 😄

Reactions: moa999 and Big Earl
If I was having fun on an EV adventure in the outback, making YouTube videos and uploading them would not be at the top of my daily to-do list! 😄
Ha ha. True. Lack of internet is the reason for no resent uploads. I'm in Katherine now and in Darwin tomorrow. I'll edit and put a few videos up in the next few days.

It's been an awesome trip!

Good stuff. I’m on a road trip at the moment, not going as remote as @gm12, but I am getting 120-130 Wh/km in my LR Model 3 doing 100 km/h on fairly flat highway stretches with the HVAC off except for the fan (need to turn temperature to “LO” and then manually turn off the AC). With AC on, if the cabin gets too hot, I’m getting 150–160 like @gm12 is getting. If the cabin needs heating because the outside air is too cold, efficiency dives to 170-180 Wh/km.

I think the “fan only” is a good technique to maximise range if there are nerves as to whether you would reach your destination - providing driving doesn’t become unbearably hot or cold. At 120 Wh/km and a full battery, the energy graph reports a range of over 600 km.