Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC as a separate option

How much would you pay for TACC by itself?

Votes: 33 66.0%

Votes: 14 28.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think Tesla could sell TACC as a gateway feature. Once the techies have theirs, I suspect many people will pass on EP. If they could get TACC for a grand or two, people might decide the other features of EP would be worth buying.

Not that I expect Tesla to do this. Cable companies have been bundling one or two desirable channels with 18 junkers for decades.

The results of the poll are about what I expected.

TACC is around 1040 EUR in a Mercedes-Benz SLC. The interesting part is that the 'standard' SLC, without TACC, already has a front radar which it uses for emergency braking, and also I think a front camera which it uses for speed sign detection, so I believe adding TACC is, also with an MB, just a software/'ticking the box' issue.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Tesla can do it (either sell it for 1000 or include it in the base price). In respect of MB, what I forgot to mention is that of course on an MB you need an automatic transmission (+2500*), which would turn your SLC180 into a snail, so you'd want to at least upgrade to an SLC200 (+5000), so at the end of the day you're probably paying 8500 for TACC, if you initially wanted a 180 with manual transmission :). And no speak of any AutoPilot (although they probably should be able to do it with one camera and one radar and a bit of computing, no?)

* "Have you ever seen a TACC with a manual transmission, Ma'm?", my wife was asked this week-end. Feeling that she, and not the salesman, was the one allowed to be asking questions regarding the technology in cars, she drove a few km further and ordered her SLC at another MB dealer (who was obviously very pleased to offer even better conditions). Probably the only advantage of the dealership model:). BTW don't blame her for not buying a Tesla Model 3 (despite a 31 March 2016 reservation) - I don't think any M3 will be here before spring 2019...

Last edited:
no speak of any AutoPilot (although they probably should be able to do it with one camera and one radar and a bit of computing, no?)
... and automatic control of the brakes (though I suppose they must have that with TACC) and the steering (which probably they don't), and for quite large values of "a bit" of computing. And plus, "a small matter of programming".

Hmm, you're surely right as far as steering is concerned, for an SLC... Wishful thinking on my behalf :(

(I do think MB is testing its AP computing/programming, including HW for steering, in its flagship models, however).

Reactions: jgs
Yeah, they could do that by default and the base price of the car is now $40,000. Which way would you prefer?
Why would the base cost of the car go up by more than $1K or $2k?

We're not asking for the full EAP package. Just the TACC portion of it.

My preference is always to have people pay more when it comes to safety of a community. These people are going to be behind me on the freeway, and they're going to have their hands on a cell phone whether they have TACC or not.

I can't even say I enjoy driving anymore because of how many people drive distracted.

So yeah, TACC for everyone.

Reactions: phaduman and jgs
Because the hardware and software for EAP are already there.
The hardware is there even if a person doesn't order EAP.

The only thing that would change is the baseprice would go up by a bit, and the price of EAP would go down by the same amount.

In any case I'd be happy if they did what the OP wants. That would the way to do it without raising the cost, or lowering margins.

The problem is they still have to engage it. Virtually every car sold in the last twenty years has had plain old cruise control but at least half the people on the freeway don't use it. I'm not sure if this is because they hate me, or because they hate themselves, but anyway I bet they wouldn't use TACC either. :-(

People are inherently lazy.

When you're stuck in traffic that's bumper to bumper crawling along why wouldn't you use it?

The young people will use it because they're comfortable with technology
The old people might be more reluctant, but they're not typically the ones driving down the road with a cell phone in their hands.

I'd be really surprised if the adoption rate on freeways wasn't over 80%. For me I don't even think about it, and it's on as soon as I've reached cruising speed on the freeway.

Now I will admit the adoption rate is going to be highly dependent on the technology working well, and the user understanding its limitations. That's what I see as the primary obstacles with TACC. They need to be a little more bullet proof than they are now. For me TACC is at this point where AP sure in the heck isn't. But, with other people TACC might be a lot more unnerving than it is for me.

Reactions: jgs
TACC is a BETA feature
I've never had much patience for this "oh it's beta" stuff (what other beta can I think of that's run for years without ever going production? None, that's what). It's especially rich for TACC since it's hardly a cutting-edge feature and on the face of it that means Tesla has no production CC at all unless you get a non-AP car. If TACC were really beta you'd be able to opt out and standard CC would enable. You can't and it doesn't.

Edit to add: not meaning to kill the messenger. Totally plausible for the manual to say that, it's just that it's risible if it does.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, we can keep on wishing but it won't happen. It's either you are driving or your not-ish. No grey area. Just move over to the slow lane and use regular cruise control. Tesla is selling computer controlled safety that won't come with TACC if that is ever an option.