Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same for me... No issues with the Taptes pad... works perfectly with my iPhone X... Just have to remember to take the phone with me when I exit the car..

Yep, i usually take my phone out anyways, i set it there and at times use it for WAZE cross reference traffic.
which otterbox case by the way?
I have Otterbox Defender, think case. thankfully other member here a while back replied saying it would work. So i ordered it, got it and tested it. I have no idea how fast or slow, but it is charging the phone.

From their website -
  • Support one side (left or right) working mode, the other side as phone rest area in case wireless charging not needed, support only 1 USB input, useful for Tesla V9 update or reserve a USB port for dash cam, charge only 1 phone by 1 USB input, charge 2 phones simultaneously by 2 USB input, support mix input, 1 Model 3 front USB + 1 power bank USB input
Just to confirm, does this support 2 phones for charging? The way they've worded this is a bit confusing

Yep, two phones.

I opted for a quick charge, came with a nice 10,000mah battery. Hooked pads two USB cables into battery and connected battery to the car. I still got one free port for Dashcam, works like a charm. Need to review this thread best placement for battery, likely will use double sided tape to put it under the pad.

great to know the otterbox works. i dont have one, but it's good its pad compatible. wife has a popsocket and i dont think any pads work with them. i decided to go with the jeda pad after much thinking. they launched a new jeda today and the features kind of won me over. taptes comes in a good second because of price. let's see how this thing works.

To update the thread: I just got my Taptes pad. I have a Samsung S7 with a Spigen case and was using a Fast Qi charger bought from Amazon for $12-15. The Taptes works much, much better for me. It's easier to get the phone in position to charge, and it stays charging better. As a result, I get a mch faster charge rate than the old qi charger. With that one, it seemed to only slow the rate of loss. With teh Taptes, my charge actually goes up while driving.

A dumb question regarding my TAPTES charger. When the phone is placed on the charger and charging begins I do not get the LED light that is on the pad. Should it be on or should it be something I shouldn’t worry about /?
Amber light should be on nearest the phone that is charging. When the device first sees power (like when you open a door and the screen comes one) both lights to fire up for a couple of seconds, then extinguish until a phone is placed on the pad.... which should light one of the LEDs again.

Is your phone actually taking on charge? Without the ambler LED being lit?

Yep, i usually take my phone out anyways, i set it there and at times use it for WAZE cross reference traffic.

I have Otterbox Defender, think case. thankfully other member here a while back replied saying it would work. So i ordered it, got it and tested it. I have no idea how fast or slow, but it is charging the phone.

Yep, two phones.

I opted for a quick charge, came with a nice 10,000mah battery. Hooked pads two USB cables into battery and connected battery to the car. I still got one free port for Dashcam, works like a charm. Need to review this thread best placement for battery, likely will use double sided tape to put it under the pad.

It seems the battery that came with Taptes (MI) is not able to do pass-through charging (battery charging from cars USB and charging devices on the pad. Even though Amazon has couple of questions and answers say yes. I should have searched pass-through Amazon and bought battery separately. anyone else with same experience? Maybe user error here...

Amber light should be on nearest the phone that is charging. When the device first sees power (like when you open a door and the screen comes one) both lights to fire up for a couple of seconds, then extinguish until a phone is placed on the pad.... which should light one of the LEDs again.

Is your phone actually taking on charge? Without the ambler LED being lit?

Yup...the amber LEDS lights up when entering the vehicle. The phone will take on a charge...however the light/s stay off during the charge.

Yup...the amber LEDS lights up when entering the vehicle. The phone will take on a charge...however the light/s stay off during the charge.
When a phone is detected by the taptes, the light will glow Amber when charging, and glow white when not charging (100% charged, but still in pad). If you don't have a light while the phone is proximate to the pad, something is wrong.

Ordered the TAPTES wireless charger with battery pack on 12/7/18. Delivered on 1/2/19 - 26 days later.

When I plug the charging pad directly into the 2 Model 3 usb ports (seeing how it works without the battery pack), my phone starts charging wirelessly as expected but limited to the power of the M3 usb ports.

But when I plug the external battery into the Model 3 usb port, then plug the charging pad into the battery, my phone does not charge wirelessly.

I've tried plugging into both Model 3 usb ports as well as tried multiple phones.

I contacted Taptes and just received a response:
--------------------------
Don't plug the power bank into your Model 3 USB if you want the power bank charge your wireless charger, it doesn't support pass through model for safety considerations.

You just connect the power bank to our charger when you want fast charging.

You just connect the power bank to M3 front USB if you want charge the power bank.

Do not connect power bank one side to wireless charger, the other side to M3 front USB, in that case, then only the power bank will be charger, the charging to wireless charger will be cut automatically for safety considerations.
------------------
This charger does NOT support passthrough. I would never have bought it had I known this limitation.

Reactions: bd7349
I know there are many posts confirming that Taptes works for them. Here's one more.
Ordered on Jan 19th. Received on Feb 5th.
Appears to be well made. The pad is grippy. My naked iPhone X with and my wife's iPhone Xs Max with this case seem to charge fine. I think the product price is fair at $50, incl. shipping. The competing products seem a bit too expensive for what they do.

I know there are many posts confirming that Taptes works for them. Here's one more.
Ordered on Jan 19th. Received on Feb 5th.
Appears to be well made. The pad is grippy. My naked iPhone X with and my wife's iPhone Xs Max with this case seem to charge fine. I think the product price is fair at $50, incl. shipping. The competing products seem a bit too expensive for what they do.

what they do is provide jobs for americans, so undoubtedly more expensive. if it works for you that's great though. i think we should all choose the best solution for us.

i respect ones appetite for buying american... howeve virtually all american brands in the category are just marketers, selling chinese made components, assembled in china.

if i could get a comprable product, made in america, at even a modest upcharge id do it, but all the components are built and assembled into products in china, for most anything mass produced, especially electrical/electronics for the mass market.

very high end less so... still a significant amount of the high end is japan, korea and germany. been that way for decades now.

Do you honestly believe this? They're all assembled in China.

still employing americans to sell the product, provide service, etc. those things add up, which could be the reason for the price difference. nomad, is a big company and have to employ more, so they have a larger margin. jeda i['m not sure about, but they obviously have to emplooyee individuals to cover the shipping labor and customer service.

there's alot of money that goes into running a company and employing, including payroll taxes, health benefits, etc. we pay for that with our wallet, whether or not these items are produced in china and then resold. i'd rather support a company based here. but again, thats just me.