Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off topic but i decided against dropping on this or the nomad. I instead purchased the attached super thin wireless charger and placed it under the oem phone mat. This way I have one wireless and one wired slot (got rid of the usb3). The right side of the mat just snaps into existing holes. On the left side I just put two small pieces of double sided tape on the top/bottom corners to secure the mat since it’s slightly raised due to the charging pad. No wobble and works great for $15.

Would you mind showing pics of the final result?

Slightly off topic but i decided against dropping on this or the nomad. I instead purchased the attached super thin wireless charger and placed it under the oem phone mat. This way I have one wireless and one wired slot (got rid of the usb3). The right side of the mat just snaps into existing holes. On the left side I just put two small pieces of double sided tape on the top/bottom corners to secure the mat since it’s slightly raised due to the charging pad. No wobble and works great for $15.
Did you order on Amazon?

Yes I ordered on amazon.

Would you mind showing pics of the final result?

See some pics. It is dark so not the best. But you can see that the pad is still flush. I taped down the wireless charging disc and you can see the two pieces of black tape in the corners to keep mat secure.

F2D4317A-86CB-401C-9B81-DB75F2810F16.jpeg
D53E166B-1D1B-4F4D-8761-7C4AB3BD92A2.jpeg
75903987-8121-41F4-9FBC-419B043B4CC4.jpeg

thanks, I will try that. also there are some tissue double side tapes provided. do you know what they are for ?

For some reason the bottom of the pad was not sticking to back properly so that it would pop up a little above the black protection bar (hard to explain). Therefore I put the double side tape at the bottom of the pad so that it stuck to the back panel properly and not popped up a little.

Maybe I was the only one that had this issue but that's what I used the double sided tape and things are working fine now. Overall I'm pleased with my Taptes wireless pads, considering the competition costs a lot more.

By the way, a quick follow-up. I mentioned that my Model 3 phone-tray rattled when I put weight on it, and it was especially noticeable after installing the Taptes pad and resting my phone on it. (This was not an issue with the Taptes pad itself. I didn't use the tray before due to the rattle) I was able to eliminate it completely by putting a small piece of foam on each side of the tray and pulling the tray down in place. This pretty much locks it in and it doesn't move at all and eliminates the rattle. You can see a little bit of the foam on the sides but I really don't care. (I used dark gray foam) In case anyone had a similar issue I thought I would mention it.

Have you tried contacting them about it? Seems easy to resolve on their end. I’m still waiting for mine, but I only just got my shipping confirmation today.
As I mentioned in a prior post...
I ordered a clear removable/reusable double stick tape:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9CQX83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HKblCb05YE7KS?&tag=tmc064-20

I received the products but I don’t access to my Model 3/Taptes right now. It is slightly different than I expected. Inadequate description on Amazon. It is removable/reusable on just one side. The other side is a more aggressive adhesive.
I plan to put the aggressive side on the charger so the removable side sticks to the Model 3 part.
It is very thin.
Looks promising...
Pics of actual product/packaging I received:
8C3F5CBD-5A71-4BB2-9B25-994F44600A04.jpeg

F6245561-4988-4A5F-857E-F6B133F2D03C.jpeg

DA19A964-57C9-439B-8907-C87905258452.jpeg
D99317ED-EA78-44F5-A03E-3AC400211D0D.jpeg
D55CF4E3-95D3-4FFF-83EA-1E85BA6DACFD.jpeg
26C45D26-5840-4C7D-A1F3-3EC981D0DB85.jpeg
FDD35786-8740-45A4-9A29-E2A45D3A607C.jpeg

Got mine yesterday in the Toronto area via Canada Post after ordering in early December. Quality is solid and it looks as good as the Nomad from what I can tell. It moves a tiny bit in the tray if you poke at it but certainly not enough to be noticeable when driving. I see no need to use the double-sided tape that came with it.

My iPhone X charges perfectly and grips well on corners, etc. For $50 US it’s definitely worth it, especially compared to the Nomad at almost 3x the price.

Got mine yesterday in the Toronto area via Canada Post after ordering in early December. Quality is solid and it looks as good as the Nomad from what I can tell. It moves a tiny bit in the tray if you poke at it but certainly not enough to be noticeable when driving. I see no need to use the double-sided tape that came with it.

My iPhone X charges perfectly and grips well on corners, etc. For $50 US it’s definitely worth it, especially compared to the Nomad at almost 3x the price.
Interesting...yours came with double sided tape?

Here a video we did with the Taptes Wireless Charger. In summary, I'm definitely keeping mine.
Like others, I’d love a confirmation whether the Nomad Gen 2 coils can really do 7.5W iPhone Qi charging rate when connected to standard *5V* USB port supplying around 2 amps (such as direct to the Model 3 front USB ports).

For example, are there *no* Qi coils on the market that can do 7.5W rate from a 5V source?

The test results from whatthe2 are surprisingly disappointing for the Nomad. I wonder if plugging in a USB meter would show the Nomad coil pulling just ~ 1 amp from the front port? Has anyone asked Nomad to comment?

How soon after ordering did you receive the email asking if you prefer the matte or shiny version?
I was never asked and received the matte version. Perhaps they cancelled the shiny one?
Edit: and what are the dimensions of the 5 sticky pads? Sounds like new orders may not come with them.
12 mm diameter and 3 mm thick. But my guess would be that the double-sided tape probably works just as well to eliminate the minor wiggle if it bothers you.

The wireless charger can be plugged into a 12 V cigarette lighter adapter, just make sure the lighter USB output either in 5V or 9V, if 5V, the max wireless charger output is 5W, if 9V, max output is 10W (for Android) or 7.5W for Apple iPhone.

Q: Regarding your inductive wireless charger for the Model 3. I understand that with the latest V9 software upgrade of the Tesla Model 3, the USB ports now output 5V*2A power instead of 5V*1.4A. Does that mean that your base model $49.99 charger will charge 7.5W for iPhone X, iPhone XS?

A: The iPhone 7.5W wireless charging will require 9V USB input. The M3 front USB output voltage is 5V, so our M3 wireless charger will work in 5W charging for iPhone. Even if we change the M3 front USB output to 9V, the charging speed is the same after the first few minutes, the only advantage is it will be faster in the first (around) 3 minutes time, no much practical use in charging speed.

Hmm I didn't see the above bolded part from the TapTes FAQ before. Is it true that the latest iPhones on current iOS version, only use the faster 7.5W Qi charging speed for the first ~3 minutes, then drops back to the same 5W Qi rate the rest of the time? So the advertised potential advantage of the Nomad for iPhones is kinda moot?

I've been following the various solutions that have been popping up - from Jeda to Nomad to Taptes. I didn't like the look of the Jeda so I only bought the Nomad and Taptes.

A lot of misinformation has been posted, with people claiming that the two must've been made in the same factory. Clearly, they've never tried both products!

Firstly, the Nomad:
Nomad.jpg
It has a more rubbery feel, is thicker and certainly has a bit more weight to it. Once installed, it sits flush where it's supposed to be. The downside is that due to the thickness, taller phones (such as my Pixel 3 XL with a slim case) prevent the compartment from closing. An iPhone X caused no so such problems. This was shipped from LA.

Now, the Taptes:
Taptes.jpg
It has a more plastic feel and is slimmer and lighter. Its dimensions were also not as exact as the Nomad, which causes it to shake and rattle around. It did come with some adhesive pads but this seems like a Band-Aid solution. The upside is that even with my large phone, I could still close the compartment. This was shipped from China.

I will probably keep the Nomad over the Taptes since it seems to be higher quality overall. And after spending $50,000 - $80,000 on the car itself, the $80 difference seems quite negligible.

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW
I've been following the various solutions that have been popping up - from Jeda to Nomad to Taptes. I didn't like the look of the Jeda so I only bought the Nomad and Taptes.

A lot of misinformation has been posted, with people claiming that the two must've been made in the same factory. Clearly, they've never tried both products!

Firstly, the Nomad:
View attachment 366788
It has a more rubbery feel, is thicker and certainly has a bit more weight to it. Once installed, it sits flush where it's supposed to be. The downside is that due to the thickness, taller phones (such as my Pixel 3 XL with a slim case) prevent the compartment from closing. An iPhone X caused no so such problems. This was shipped from LA.

Now, the Taptes:
View attachment 366787
It has a more plastic feel and is slimmer and lighter. Its dimensions were also not as exact as the Nomad, which causes it to shake and rattle around. It did come with some adhesive pads but this seems like a Band-Aid solution. The upside is that even with my large phone, I could still close the compartment. This was shipped from China.

I will probably keep the Nomad over the Taptes since it seems to be higher quality overall. And after spending $50,000 - $80,000 on the car itself, the $80 difference seems quite negligible.
You pay for what you get. Is the Nomad worth the premium? It is for some. Not everyone, I get it.
You did get a premium car! ;-)

Personally, even though they are both made in China, I chose to buy from a company from my home state of California instead of Taiwan, hoping it helps keep locals employed. I can afford to, so why not.

Reactions: daver6640
Interesting...yours came with double sided tape?

Yes, two strips of 3M Double-Coated Tissue Tape and the usual 5 black sticky pads. Personally I don't see the need for them, the Taptes pad only moves a tiny bit in the tray, certainly not enough to be noticeable (unless one takes corners like a maniac I suppose...).

How soon after ordering did you receive the email asking if you prefer the matte or shiny version?

I never got an email asking about matte or shiny. The pad I received was matte, so I guess they've just gone with that.