Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure how you confirmed fast charging. My USB meter showed a maximum of approximately 9V 1A draw, total 9W with Samsung7+. The wireless pad will output less. More power than using the USB port but less than directly plugging the phone in.

My Galaxy S9+ said it was fast wireless charging. But the power source was a Quick Charge 12V plug. Thus I need to conceal a wire back to the 12V socket.

Anybody have issues with using Waze while charging? I have a iPhone X and Waze navigation doesn’t work properly when my phone is laying on the Tapates charger. Instead of a directional arrow, it’s a dot. The dot moves but it’s choppy like navigating using a web browser instead of an app. When I remove my phone from the charger Waze starts to work properly again.

Interesting. I haven’t upgraded my phone yet to the X[r], so still relying on the Lightning connection, but looking to do so soon, and getting this pad possibly. But about WAZE, that interference would be interesting, if messes up WAZE, I would think it would mess up all other map direction apps too. Bigger outcry from the community about it?

I used to live and die by WAZE, with my nearly hour long commute each each way - crossing PDX to the far side of Vancouver WA... but I’ve found the accuracy of the built in Tesla Nav is 98- 99% as good in picking optimal routes as WAZE. Tesla’s nav is certainly better at predicting arrival times (more stable). Plus I love the Tesla map screen size and just how fluid it is with zoom ins, rotations, etc. The only thing I miss is knowing where police, cars on shoulder, or road hazards have been flagged.

Interesting. I haven’t upgraded my phone yet to the X[r], so still relying on the Lightning connection, but looking to do so soon, and getting this pad possibly. But about WAZE, that interference would be interesting, if messes up WAZE, I would think it would mess up all other map direction apps too. Bigger outcry from the community about it?
I doubt it's interference. I tried using Apple Maps a few times before I had the Taptes and it was spotty as well. Probably the phone doesn't "see" the GPS satellites well enough down in the phone bay.
I used to live and die by WAZE, with my nearly hour long commute each each way - crossing PDX to the far side of Vancouver WA... but I’ve found the accuracy of the built in Tesla Nav is 98- 99% as good in picking optimal routes as WAZE. Tesla’s nav is certainly better at predicting arrival times (more stable). Plus I love the Tesla map screen size and just how fluid it is with zoom ins, rotations, etc. The only thing I miss is knowing where police, cars on shoulder, or road hazards have been flagged.
Try Tesla Waze on the in-car browser. I don't run it all the time, but sometimes use it to check what's ahead when the Tesla map shows major congestion.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I have the Taptes and an iphone Xs. I don't know what everyone is concerned about with charge speed. My phone charges faster than it ever did plugged in via usb in my previous car. In fact, I used to lose charge while plugged in and using pandora or Waze. Now, I gain charge. And, it's pretty fast. Save all the hand wringing over exactly how many amps and watts. It charges phones, and does it pretty well.

I doubt it's interference. I tried using Apple Maps a few times before I had the Taptes and it was spotty as well. Probably the phone doesn't "see" the GPS satellites well enough down in the phone bay.
Try Tesla Waze on the in-car browser. I don't run it all the time, but sometimes use it to check what's ahead when the Tesla map shows major congestion.
Tesla Waze is legit.

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
I bought one of these January 4 after reading this thread. It arrived 1/16.

My Note 9 with a case barely fits in there (really tall), but with a push, it's locked in. I'm seldom in the car long enough to get a solid read of the charging graph, but from the 45 minutes I had it on yesterday, it looks like it charges pretty darned fast (not as fast as QC). I'm very happy with everything overall. I'll need to tape it down, as it rocks a little bit, just like everyone else is saying.

just an fyi, heard that jedi is launching a second generation charging pad which has better features than both. not sure what the price will be but the leaked photos are amazing. seems to support landscape charging too
Pretty sure it will be the same price as the first version, i.e. twice as expensive as the Taptes (since Jeda notified some customers that they'll receive the new one on their existing order without offering any refunds). I agree though that it looks like the best design so far, not just because of the horizontal option but also because you can pass through the wired charging plug on one of the sides (which is useful e.g. if your passenger's phone doesn't support wireless charging). But for me personally it would still not be worth the price difference.

Pretty sure it will be the same price as the first version, i.e. twice as expensive as the Taptes (since Jeda notified some customers that they'll receive the new one on their existing order without offering any refunds). I agree though that it looks like the best design so far, not just because of the horizontal option but also because you can pass through the wired charging plug on one of the sides (which is useful e.g. if your passenger's phone doesn't support wireless charging). But for me personally it would still not be worth the price difference.

well i ordered one because the $50 difference is essentially the equivalent to a meal out for me, and if I'm gonna be stuck using something everyday i want to have it be something i thoroughly enjoy. plus my wife and son both have non-qi compatible phones, so the wired charging is what convinced her this would be a good addition for both. also.... i just don't like the idea of adhesive or stickies being used. which is why i initially didnt order the jeda, and i know taptes has this.

taptes is cheap, but i've been told you get what you pay for. i've heard it slides around, it's not as grippy on the surface, and worst of all
i've heard that the taptes has issues with GPS being used on it while charging, like there's intereference on google maps and waze. problematic as i use waze when i do long drives

taptes is cheap, but i've been told you get what you pay for. i've heard it slides around, it's not as grippy on the surface, and worst of all
i've heard that the taptes has issues with GPS being used on it while charging, like there's intereference on google maps and waze. problematic as i use waze when i do long drives
It doesn't slide around. You can wiggle it by a few millimeters with your hand, and even that can be eliminated by attaching the included felt tabs on the back side. The surface is plenty grippy and the GPS issues some had are very likely not related to the charging pad but rather the position far down in the car with no line of sight to the satellites (I had the same issues without any charging pad in my car). The overall quality is just fine, it looks like a stock part of the car.

Bottomline, it's fine if you want to buy the Jeda due to the landscape and cable pass-through options, but the Taptes works perfectly fine for what it is as well.