Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla might come up with cheap version of MY to qualify pricing requirements(<$55k) with upgrades via app.
This could be a risky move and very well might be considered by the Treasury, Question 10(c) from the IRS doc might be alluding to stuff like this

Link to request for comments:

Question 10(c):
1666372188827.png

I'm not entirely sure what other things may need to be considered in calculating MSRP, seems pretty straightforward otherwise

Reactions: acpd
This could be a risky move and very well might be considered by the Treasury, Question 10(c) from the IRS doc might be alluding to stuff like this

Link to request for comments:

Question 10(c):
View attachment 866189
I'm not entirely sure what other things may need to be considered in calculating MSRP, seems pretty straightforward otherwise
Tesla could sell that as subscription service etc.. which would not be part of MSRP.

This is going to be roller-coaster for the next few months.

Could sell the base car for $53790 (plus $1,200 destination) with a 3mo sub to EAP and have EAP be a $119/mo sub or $7,000 option post.

No more basic AP included.
I could see that flying with something like AP, although there would still probably be risk in trying to charge $54k for a vehicle without cruise control (assuming that would depart with basic AP)

But if we're talking locking out range, horsepower, or physical attributes and then offering to unlock later to dodge MSRP restrictions, I think the taxman would bring down the hammer on that and I bet they're receiving feedback in that regard. But maybe I'm wrong.

I could see that flying with something like AP, although there would still probably be risk in trying to charge $54k for a vehicle without cruise control (assuming that would depart with basic AP)

But if we're talking locking out range, horsepower, or physical attributes and then offering to unlock later to dodge MSRP restrictions, I think the taxman would bring down the hammer on that and I bet they're receiving feedback in that regard. But maybe I'm wrong.

Just include dumb cruise and Lane departure plus pre collision as a safety feature.

Reactions: vickh
Tesla might come up with cheap version of MY to qualify pricing requirements(<$55k) with upgrades via app.

+1 I hope they do and I'll put in the order day 1 like i did for the SR 3. I wish they'd even let you add 3rd row later but I understand HW upgrades are tougher.

Didn't they have a SR Y for a bit?

tesla is selling every car they can make. they aren't going to manipulate any pricing or features to fit a tax credit until they need to sell more cars.........no time soon. A tax credit isn't going to stop anyone from buying a tesla and that's all tesla TSLA cares about folks
There are 1,665 vehicles currently listed in Tesla's New/Used inventory, and there are still more rate hikes coming + rates will likely stay higher for longer

Inflation hasn't been conquered until demand is more balanced with supply and prices come down, financial conditions will continue tightening until that's achieved

Reactions: acpd and randmness
138 Model 3/Y with less than 1K miles near me

We have a LR Y reservation for $58K coming in December, but now I'm curious if folks will soon (by EOY) be able to snag low-mile used Teslas for considerably cheaper than new. The lowest I've seen so far for a newly traded (sub 1K mile)/used 2022 LR Y is $63K, but they are dropping thousands every week.

This past summer, used car values were up 45% over last year alone, so there is plenty of room for things to drop.

Last edited:
tesla is selling every car they can make. they aren't going to manipulate any pricing or features to fit a tax credit until they need to sell more cars.........no time soon. A tax credit isn't going to stop anyone from buying a tesla and that's all tesla TSLA cares about folks
EDD has been same for MYLR since August 31st ( Almost 2 Months). Meaning they are building more cars than orders. Tesla is basically catching up on orders placed on 2021 and early 2022. These won't sell without Tax Credit in 2023. Even Musk said, they will do whatever it takes to get EV credit.

So the government offers a free discount on EVs and Tesla isn’t going to take advantage of that gravy train? I don’t think so.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla only has to keep pace with their competition on this matter. If other similar EV’s from other OEM’s are produced that qualify for the credit, so will they. That doesn’t seem likely to happen as nobody is making anything comparable, nobody is putting out any worth while volume, and if they are, they aren‘t likely to qualify for the credit.

Tesla only has to keep pace with their competition on this matter. If other similar EV’s from other OEM’s are produced that qualify for the credit, so will they. That doesn’t seem likely to happen as nobody is making anything comparable, nobody is putting out any worth while volume, and if they are, they aren‘t likely to qualify for the credit.
that is spot on. tesla has been raising prices for the last 2 years because the market is hot and nobody else can make a decent EV in volume yet at a decent price. This could change very quickly but until it does don't plan on tesla making any effort to conform to a tax credit

Reactions: Dale J