Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
see
Below the pic: "Base Model 3 and Model Y have China-made LFP batteries"
Then article says:
Currently, the standard range versions of Tesla's bestselling models use cheaper iron phosphate batteries made in China by the world's biggest EV battery maker CATL. Tesla recently warned that the base Model 3 and Model Y may lose their full US$7,500 new EV subsidy status when the Treasury Department releases its battery tax credit eligibility guidelines later today.

Since the standard range Model 3 and Model Y represent the majority of the cars it sells in the US, Tesla is reportedly probing the White House's opinion on entering a joint venture with China's CATL on US soil. The battery factory may be purposefully built for CATL's LFP and other superior technologies and may allow Tesla to keep the base Model 3 and Model Y in the government subsidy loop as the cells will be made in the US.

so... the Long Range MY and M3 and Performance models should be OK if Tesla not worried about those

see
Then article says:
Currently, the standard range versions of Tesla's bestselling models use cheaper iron phosphate batteries made in China by the world's biggest EV battery maker CATL. Tesla recently warned that the base Model 3 and Model Y may lose their full US$7,500 new EV subsidy status when the Treasury Department releases its battery tax credit eligibility guidelines later today.

Since the standard range Model 3 and Model Y represent the majority of the cars it sells in the US, Tesla is reportedly probing the White House's opinion on entering a joint venture with China's CATL on US soil. The battery factory may be purposefully built for CATL's LFP and other superior technologies and may allow Tesla to keep the base Model 3 and Model Y in the government subsidy loop as the cells will be made in the US.
This is bogus info, only the Chinese version of the Y uses these batteries, the Texas model Y awd 269 and 279 mile range (depending on wheels) uses the structural pack with the 4680 battery

see
Then article says:

so... the Long Range MY and M3 and Performance models should be OK if Tesla not worried about those
There is no 'Standard Range' Model Y being produced at the moment. The 4680 version is called the Model Y AWD. The SR version was RWD.

What isn't being mentioned here is that the business owner (Tesla, i.e.) can claim a $7,500 credit for any "clean vehicle" that it leases to retail customers with no manufacturing, earnings, or price limit other than it has a gross vehicle weight under 14,000 pounds. (There are other limits not really relevant here.) There is no requirement to pass the value of the credit to customers, but that could be an excellent way to market EVs that don't otherwise qualify for a customer credit. My local Audi dealer is offering a "$7,500 value credit" to lease an eTron. Tesla is already promoting $349 mo. Model 3 leases, no mention of the status of their credit, maybe already all or partially include in the offer.

What isn't being mentioned here is that the business owner (Tesla, i.e.) can claim a $7,500 credit for any "clean vehicle" that it leases to retail customers with no manufacturing, earnings, or price limit other than it has a gross vehicle weight under 14,000 pounds. (There are other limits not really relevant here.) There is no requirement to pass the value of the credit to customers, but that could be an excellent way to market EVs that don't otherwise qualify for a customer credit. My local Audi dealer is offering a "$7,500 value credit" to lease an eTron. Tesla is already promoting $349 mo. Model 3 leases, no mention of the status of their credit, maybe already all or partially include in the offer.
I can see the lease rate dropping to $299 for the 3 with CATL batteries after 4/18 as Tesla will need to do something to move these

There is a 279mi range MY being sold - not form site; but they must have inventory - on offer for accelerated delivery when I look at my order for MYLR
Yes, those models offering 269/279 mile ranges are the MY AWD - which is only built in GigaTexas using the 4680 structural battery pack for US market. For a brief period there was a MY SR RWD model - but that model was retired and replaced with the new MY AWD (non-LR) model we're referring to here. These MY AWD models aren't yet available in the configurator - Telsa is building these and shipping them through existing inventory only at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and DanDi58
There is a 279mi range MY being sold - not form site; but they must have inventory - on offer for accelerated delivery when I look at my order for MYLR

How much cheaper is it currently? I remember buying my SR 3 for $10K off but now regret the range. At the time TSLA reps claimed I could unlock it since it's software locked SR+ but no one seems to know how to now :) The buffer is good for 100% charge all the time

Given the complexity and chance that SR Y won't get a credit. I'd rather not take a chance, unless cheaper w/o credit??

The only car that is going to lose some or all of the credit is the M3 RWD that uses LFP battery.
The MY AWD, 279mi range is not LFP and therefore has nothing to do with the M3RWD LFP battery that won't meet the requirements.

Tesla produces a MY RWD in China that uses LFP and sells it to other overseas markets but of course that has no relevance to a US tax credit.

How much cheaper is it currently? I remember buying my SR 3 for $10K off but now regret the range. At the time TSLA reps claimed I could unlock it since it's software locked SR+ but no one seems to know how to now :) The buffer is good for 100% charge all the time

Given the complexity and chance that SR Y won't get a credit. I'd rather not take a chance, unless cheaper w/o credit??
The article stating the model Y awd or SR Y as you re calling it is wrong about the battery, battery is made in Texas and not China, however, that being said, the guidelines are still not clear as the actual guidance comes out on 4/17

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The article stating the model Y awd or SR Y as you re calling it is wrong about the battery, battery is made in Texas and not China, however, that being said, the guidelines are still not clear as the actual guidance comes out on 4/17

Fine RWD ? ;) I'm a range guy and still curious if range/$ trade off is worth searching inventory for it?? It was for my RWD 3. I don't see much in inventory in AZ anyways

08DEDEE2-6D33-4F38-80FD-0959C72A70B8.jpeg

Finally!!!

Reactions: 702sunk

Again, there is no such thing as a 'SR Y' currently being made. Let's not get confused by Tesla's confusing labeling. :cool:

Righty now, for US consumption, they make a MYLR and a MYP that you can order directly off the website. They also make a MYAWD with 4680 batteries that you can sometimes find in inventory, or that Tesla may offer to replace your MYLR order with. All of these cars 'should' qualify for the (up to) $7500 tax credit.

Again, there is no such thing as a 'SR Y' currently being made. Let's not get confused by Tesla's confusing labeling. :cool:

Righty now, for US consumption, they make a MYLR and a MYP that you can order directly off the website. They also make a MYAWD with 4680 batteries that you can sometimes find in inventory, or that Tesla may offer to replace your MYLR order with. All of these cars 'should' qualify for the (up to) $7500 tax credit.

MYAWD pricing starts at?