Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up on Saturday and have the 15400 form in our documents. Maybe some locations aren’t doing what they’re supposed to processing documents?

It was signed and dated the day of delivery. Might have been in our documents from the beginning, but today is first time I checked.
My SC rep said “I hope all is well and That you have been enjoying your new Tesla. We will receive a document from Tesla toward the end of the year showing that you have purchased an EV. Please keep monitoring your digital glovebox available in your account, that document once available, will be viewable there.”

There’s not much left of this year, but all that really matters is did they report to the IRS on my/other buyers behalf…

For those of you that paid cash for your car, do you remember providing your social security number to Tesla? Without that number I can’t see how Tesla can notify IRS that you bought a qualifying car. If you financed with Tesla you provided the SSAN for then to do a credit check.

When I bought my Lightning with cash I didn’t provide the SSAN. When the dealer was filling out their notification to IRS and document they provided to me they called me for the number since they didn’t have it anywhere.

For those of you that paid cash for your car, do you remember providing your social security number to Tesla? Without that number I can’t see how Tesla can notify IRS that you bought a qualifying car. If you financed with Tesla you provided the SSAN for then to do a credit check.

When I bought my Lightning with cash I didn’t provide the SSAN. When the dealer was filling out their notification to IRS and document they provided to me they called me for the number since they didn’t have it anywhere.
The app prompts you for SSN for the tax credit well before you even choose a payment/financing method.

My 15400 form dropped today (date of purchase 12/8/2023 MYLR). Interestingly the battery capacity just lists >7kWh though #11 does say maximum credit is the full $7500. Wonder why they don't name the capacity at 82 kw or whatever that number is?

Wonder why they don't name the capacity at 82 kw or whatever that number is?
I think it's because they don't want to be held accountable to a number. If they claim 82 kwh, then an owner discovers five years later that theirs only had 81.5 kwh or whatever. Also, they would have to admit it if the RWD has the same batteries as the LR with software limits, like some here have contended. It seems like that years ago Tesla did publicize the battery size, but now it seems to be a big secret.

I think it's because they don't want to be held accountable to a number. If they claim 82 kwh, then an owner discovers five years later that theirs only had 81.5 kwh or whatever. Also, they would have to admit it if the RWD has the same batteries as the LR with software limits, like some here have contended. It seems like that years ago Tesla did publicize the battery size, but now it seems to be a big secret.
Agree with your thinking as I have heard the same thing about keeping the actual number secret. But then they really should have put in that box is >16 Kwh to follow the formula to get the full $7500 (though again they do list in #11 the full $7500 credit).

From my local SC rep today:

”I hope you had an enjoyable holiday and delighted to hear that you have been enjoying your new Tesla.
It appears that your SSN were included at the time of placing your order, You are going to receive a document from us showing that you have purchased an EV which is needed whenever you file your taxes to prove the EV purchase. You are likely to receive that document after the new year. Thank you.”

I’m done worrying about it.

Yes, I paid cash, and provided my SSN. Tesla had stated specifically that they needed it for the tax credit paperwork filing.

The app prompts you for SSN for the tax credit well before you even choose a payment/financing method.
If the app prompted you to enter your SSN and you did so, does the SSN appear on any of the documents in your folder besides this yet to arrive tax credit document?

I bought my car on 2/26/2023 and don't remember entering a tax ID. None of my documents have any mention of a tax ID number. Maybe the app way back then had not yet been updated to collect the tax ID number?

If one of your documents given with the sale has the tax ID please let me know which one and where it is listed so I can look harder.

Thanks.

Agree with your thinking as I have heard the same thing about keeping the actual number secret. But then they really should have put in that box is >16 Kwh to follow the formula to get the full $7500 (though again they do list in #11 the full $7500 credit).
7kWh is the threshold for eligibilty under the IRA Clean Vehicle Credit. 16 kWh was threshold under the old regulations for full credit (base $2.5k, then $417 for a battery of at least 5kWh, plus $417 for each kWh above 5kWh up to an additional $5k (11kWh additional) )

AFAIK Per all the info posted here and on Tesla.com that will be for SR M3 and maybe SR MY. I'm looking at the LR editions. Also prices keep dropping on inventory models
Okay. Tesla is probably just using scare tactics to get people to buy before year end, but they have put out info which suggests...........................

Tesla signals Model Y also losing full $7,500 tax credit
Tesla announces it will lose entire $7,500 tax credit on base Model 3 trims
Tesla is officially losing half $7,500 tax credit on two Model 3 trims

From my local SC rep today:

”I hope you had an enjoyable holiday and delighted to hear that you have been enjoying your new Tesla.
It appears that your SSN were included at the time of placing your order, You are going to receive a document from us showing that you have purchased an EV which is needed whenever you file your taxes to prove the EV purchase. You are likely to receive that document after the new year. Thank you.”

I’m done worrying about it.
I called Tesla in Bartlett, TN today - my delivery location - and was told, essentially, the same thing. That I would get it in the mail. I didn't think to ask for a time frame, so will probably call again in the coming weeks.

Okay. Tesla is probably just using scare tactics to get people to buy before year end, but they have put out info which suggests...........................

Tesla announces it will lose entire $7,500 tax credit on base Model 3 trims
Tesla is officially losing half $7,500 tax credit on two Model 3 trims
Tesla hasn’t said anything about the Y and it’s only a few outlets/blogs reporting the Y will lose it. If they knew it was going to lose the credit they’d be using it as a sales tactic to clear our inventory. Instead they’re discounting the Y more than the 3, which is losing its credit.

Reactions: vickh
Tesla hasn’t said anything about the Y and it’s only a few outlets/blogs reporting the Y will lose it. If they knew it was going to lose the credit they’d be using it as a sales tactic to clear our inventory. Instead they’re discounting the Y more than the 3, which is losing its credit.
Two weeks ago when I was looking at Tesla.com on the Model Y order page, they definitely inferred that the Model Y would likely lose some of the tax credit. I just looked and it no longer states that. Evidently, electrek saw that also as they quoted it

Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500. Reductions likely after Dec 31. Only for eligible cash or loan purchases.

Hi all. Been looking for an answer to this, and have been hard-pressed to find it.

If I purchase a MYP (income over federal tax credit limit) and have my sibling on title (who in fact is under the income limit), can either she or I claim the $7500 federal credit?

I know that we can’t split the credit, but I haven’t found an answer as to whether I can claim it despite being above the income limit, or if she can

Thanks all!