Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Been looking for an answer to this, and have been hard-pressed to find it.

If I purchase a MYP (income over federal tax credit limit) and have my sibling on title (who in fact is under the income limit), can either she or I claim the $7500 federal credit?

I know that we can’t split the credit, but I haven’t found an answer as to whether I can claim it despite being above the income limit, or if she can

Thanks all!

Title doesn't mean anything. What does the seller's report say?

They provide no screenshot or web archive. It’s the same general statement they have on their home page. I checked the wayback archives and can’t find this statement specifically on the Model Y page like the story claims. Only the one saying that currently all MYs qualify. A comment on that story is the same as my experience checking the website over the last few weeks.

The Y could lose the credit for sure, we don’t know, but unless there is a sceeenshot or web archive showing this on the Model Y page I don’t believe Teslas has hinted at anything yet.

I found the quote from the article. It is on the financing drop down. It is the same verbiage for the Model 3, the Model Y, and the Model X. It appears to be a general statement that does not indicate that the model Y will lose the $7,500 credit. The RWD Standard Range Model Y does not use the LFP battery so there is no reason why it would lose the credit. Possible this article is a bit of "click bait".

Reactions: vickh
AFAIK Per all the info posted here and on Tesla.com that will be for SR M3 and maybe SR MY. I'm looking at the LR editions

They provide no screenshot or web archive. It’s the same general statement they have on their home page. I checked the wayback archives and can’t find this statement specifically on the Model Y page like the story claims. Only the one saying that currently all MYs qualify. A comment on that story is the same as my experience checking the website over the last few weeks.

The Y could lose the credit for sure, we don’t know, but unless there is a sceeenshot or web archive showing this on the Model Y page I don’t believe Teslas has hinted at anything yet.

Yep. I only see 3rd party articles on the Y. Nothing from TSLA

Okay. Tesla is probably just using scare tactics to get people to buy before year end
The Model 3 RWD and Long Range, which are the two cars they’ve said will be losing the tax credit, use Chinese cells in the battery pack. There’s no question or fear mongering - the cars as they exist and are sold now, with those battery packs, are absolutely not eligible for the tax credit in 2024.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline and vickh
The Model 3 RWD and Long Range, which are the two cars they’ve said will be losing the tax credit, use Chinese cells in the battery pack. There’s no question or fear mongering - the cars as they exist and are sold now, with those battery packs, are absolutely not eligible for the tax credit in 2024.

How about the Y trims?

If I purchase a MYP (income over federal tax credit limit) and have my sibling on title (who in fact is under the income limit), can either she or I claim the $7500 federal credit?
She can, you can’t.

From a practical standpoint regarding purchasing a Tesla, you will need to be co-registrants on the vehicle. If you are financing with Tesla, they will require you to both be on the loan application and will pull both of your credit reports. They will also require you to both be present for delivery.

Your sister can claim the tax credit herself provided she meets all the requirements and income limits.

I did this a few months ago buying a car for my mom.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
How are you guys getting the irs 15400 forms from Tesla. I didn’t find anything on the app or website. I called the dealership and got a generic response of Tesla dealerships don’t have irs form.

I guess Rockville Maryland dealership does not do it.

How are you guys getting the irs 15400 forms from Tesla. I didn’t find anything on the app or website. I called the dealership and got a generic response of Tesla dealerships don’t have irs form.

I guess Rockville Maryland dealership does not do it.
Just checked today and it was on my tesla account > Documents > "IRA Clean Vehicles Credit Report"
Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 12.05.42 AM.png

Reactions: Midpack
Dumb question: how do I send a message to Tesla support asking for this document?
I can't start a new conversation under "messages" in the app, and I can't find anything to ask a question under "service".

Thanks!

Tesla has until January 15th to provide the document.

”You must submit required information about a qualifying clean vehicle sale to the IRS by January 15 of the year following the purchase. The first reports are due to the IRS by January 15, 2024.”

Tesla has until January 15th to provide the document.

”You must submit required information about a qualifying clean vehicle sale to the IRS by January 15 of the year following the purchase. The first reports are due to the IRS by January 15, 2024.”

Yeah, still wondering in general how to submit a question or start a conversation.