Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax Credit Clarification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are typical worker drawing a paycheck, and you want a EV:

$47,000 taxable income single will hit the $7500 liability.
$56,000 taxable income married will hit the $7500 liability.

Common rule of thumb is 10% of your income on cars, no higher. Remember that operational expenses, insurance, states taxes and registration come into play. Many folk get into trouble by getting 'car poor' especially when starting out in life. If you're married, financial stress is the #1 cause of divorce.

So $400 a month for auto expenses if you are single, $470 married at the threshold.

This is why EV buyers tend to be both older and richer on average. They still are not cheap for young people.

Spot on post.

Worse than that though is not only is he indicating he won't earn enough to qualify for the full $7500 tax credit.... but he's saying he moved to Southern California (one of the highest cost of living ares in the US) "because of Model 3".

I think people's priorities are messed up.

If buying a vehicle is a financial burden or forces you to reduce/eliminate retirement contributions, buying your own home, etc., it's a very bad idea. Just buy a used car and save your money for a few years until you actually can afford the car you are lusting after.

No, that isn't correct. The line to look at, for the form you have displayed, is line 46, that's the total tax liability before credits. The credit is applied on line 56, and is deducted from the liability along with any other credits.
Right, but there is a trick here. The federal tax credit is non-refundable so if the other tax credits leave less than 7500 tax liability the eligible EV credit will be less than 7,500 also.

As a practical matter (though there must be an exception somewhere,) a taxpayer will not receive tax credits that total more than tax liability

@gregincal , parse this sentence from the OP:
My tax liability though is below $7,500. I'll be taking the delivery of the $35K base model in 2018 (Feb-Apr) to get as close to $7,500 as I can.
I say at best unclear, but more likely indicative of OP not understanding tax liability.

Reactions: ABC2D
I think what OP is saying is that his tax liability is less than $7,500, e.g. it is $6,000. He will be taking delivery early 2018 so that he can "get as close to $7,500" as possible. I.e. He will get $6,000 as opposed to $3,750 if he waits till end of 2018 for delivery.

He claims to understand how tax liability works, so I believe him.

His only question in this thread was how to not pay the $6,000 via withholdings throughout 2018, so that he doesn't have to wait till early 2019 to get his $6,000 back.

I feel like a lot of people here are completely misunderstanding the OP. I along with a few others gave the OP some good advice on how to achieve his objective. Advice that he can explore after talking to a tax professional.

And yes, the tax credit can be taken away at any time, so sometimes it is better to just wait for the refund.

Reactions: Runt8
I think what OP is saying is that his tax liability is less than $7,500, e.g. it is $6,000. He will be taking delivery early 2018 so that he can "get as close to $7,500" as possible. I.e. He will get $6,000 as opposed to $3,750 if he waits till end of 2018 for delivery.

His only question in this thread was how to not pay the $6,000 via withholdings throughout 2018, so that he doesn't have to wait till early 2019 to get his $6,000 back.

I feel like a lot of people here are completely misunderstanding the OP. I along with a few others gave the OP some good advice on how to achieve his objective. Advice that he can explore after talking to a tax professional.

And yes, the tax credit can be taken away at any time, so sometimes it is better to just wait for the refund.

Exactly. The question seemed pretty clear to me. At no point did he give the slightest indication that he believed his tax withholding would change his credit, just when he took delivery.

If the OP is concerned about being penalized then he will need to make sure what he owes at the end of the year is less than $1000. They will charge you a penalty if you owe them more than $1000.

Not necessarily. If you're self-employed you just have to pay 100% of your previous year's taxes over the 4 estimated tax times, even if you know you owe more.

I sent them 10s of thousands back in April this year and didn't get a penalty.

I think (but not 100% sure) - even if you're not self-employed, you just have to pay 90% of your liability over the year to avoid a tax penalty.

As others have said, your withholding and tax liability are two different things. Your liability is derived from your income. If you don't make enough to pay $7500 in taxes over the year, changing withholding does nothing other than alter when you pay it. I have a lot withheld (I take zero exemptions), and usually get a refund. I'll still get the $7500 back, in addition to my refund, because I paid in excess of $7500 in taxes for the year.

If you're disciplined, you want as little as possible withheld and you want to pay come tax time. Essentially right now you're giving the government a free loan.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, but we always ask, since it's unlikely that someone with an income low enough to pay < $7500 in taxes will buy a > $35k vehicle.

Reactions: voip-ninja
First, I think the OP was clear about tax liability. He was clear that his whole point is to reduce his withholding to help with monthly payments, nothing about qualifying for the rebate.

As far as your other point, the rebate is not like an expense that is really attributable to a particular quarter, it is a rebate that is part of the entire year. I think spreading it over the entire year is perfectly fine.

It was the paragraph before that led me to believe he thought otherwise: "My tax liability though is below $7,500. I'll be taking the delivery of the $35K base model in 2018 (Feb-Apr) to get as close to $7,500 as I can."

That sentence seemed to indicate that somehow he could affect what his tax liability for the year based on delivery timeframe or other factors, when in fact that isn't the case. I understood what he was saying about modifying his exemptions to get money for that $7,500 over a period of time rather than later, at once, as part of his returns, but it still at least seemed like there was a fundamental misunderstanding about how it all worked.

I'm not sure what you're referencing about my other point, and it being attributable to a particular quarter, so you'll have to clarify that for me.

If you're disciplined, you want as little as possible withheld and you want to pay come tax time. Essentially right now you're giving the government a free loan.

Understood, and I've heard that many times from all the guru investors and savers, but for me it's easier to budget based on a smaller income, and have a forced savings account via my tax return. Part of being disciplined is knowing your reality, your habits, and working within them. I still save plenty, but knowing I won't miss the extra money month to month, this is just another mechanism to save money and buy something pretty (like a Tesla). With the upcoming Model 3 aside, let's not pretend that people getting into a Tesla for people already here was a financially-motivated move.

Reactions: Avic and gambit48
It was the paragraph before that led me to believe he thought otherwise: "My tax liability though is below $7,500. I'll be taking the delivery of the $35K base model in 2018 (Feb-Apr) to get as close to $7,500 as I can."

That sentence seemed to indicate that somehow he could affect what his tax liability for the year based on delivery timeframe or other factors, when in fact that isn't the case. I understood what he was saying about modifying his exemptions to get money for that $7,500 over a period of time rather than later, at once, as part of his returns, but it still at least seemed like there was a fundamental misunderstanding about how it all worked.

I think the key is that he said he expects to have higher income in 2019. So delaying to 2019 would indeed affect his tax liability. Unfortunately the tax credit will be gone by then, so he's trying to find a way to afford the 2018 payments in the meantime.

I think the key is that he said he expects to have higher income in 2019. So delaying to 2019 would indeed affect his tax liability. Unfortunately the tax credit will be gone by then, so he's trying to find a way to afford the 2018 payments in the meantime.

Not sure what you mean by delaying until 2019. He has to take the credit for the tax year the car was put into service. So let's say he has at least $7,500 in tax liability. He can either chunk that up over the course of 2018 via exemptions and get 0 back at refund time, or he can get $7,500 back in April 2019. Rereading his first post it seems like he's simply wanting to get more money during 2018 with the expectation that his income will rise in 2019 and he won't need the extra padding the tax credit provides. If that's what you're saying then I think I'm on the same page, however your line about delaying to 2019 has confused me.

If this box is $7,500 or more then you are good to go.View attachment 240837
Please refer to IRS Form 8936 ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf )
  • for the relevant line from IRS Form 1040 that's used to calculate the credit
  • to calculate the amount of credit, if any, for which one is entitled
  • for where to enter the calculated amount of the credit, if any, on Form 1040
(By the way, the sample Form 1040 you posted is from 2010 and some of the line numbers have changed since then)

Last edited:
Just to be clear, tax liability is not what you pay at the end of the year. So adjusting your withholding will have 0 effect on whether or not you have enough liability to claim the full $7,500 credit.
So let's say I have a Fed tax liability of exactly $7500 and my employer withholds a total of exactly $7500 over the year. If I purchase the vehicle in that said year and apply for the tax credit of $7500 I will get a refund check for $7500. Correct?

I'm very surprised that people on TMC are so knowledgeable about taxes. I wish not having enough tax liability was my problem.
Maybe not, since I'll hazard a guess that the leading reason for low tax liability is unemployment.
That said, self-employed small businesses like I own are well advised to learn the basics of tax avoidance. It ends up being a lot of money and usually implies low tax liability.

Reactions: gambit48