Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one big difference. There is no alternative for 911. Can't say that for the Taycan. Also don't forget even for such an iconic model Porsche could only sell a few thousands 911 turbo/turbo S a year at that price.
"Porsche....There is no substitute" ..... true dat! :D

Photo Sep 01, 11 37 24 PM.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ICUDoc
That was a heavily modified car. Presumably the P100D used was stock. Previous record for a stock P100D is 1:43.06 and the time to beat is the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V at 1:38.52 (unless you want to count the very limited production Jaguar XE SV Project 8 at 1:37.54).

The pictures leaking from the ring are showing a P100D+ with significant modifications. (Brakes, wheels, tires, fenders/areo, air intake, wing, etc.) So the Laguna Seca run could have been it's first outing with the next stop at the Green Hell.

Tesla Model S spied prepping for Nurburgring lap attempt

Reactions: bhzmark
The pictures leaking from the ring are showing a P100D+ with significant modifications. (Brakes, wheels, tires, fenders/areo, air intake, wing, etc.) So the Laguna Seca run could have been it's first outing with the next stop at the Green Hell.

My primary concern is whether it maintains its efficiency. Porsche should publish their efficiency numbers for their 'Ring run. Taycan Takedown? ;)

Your linked article claims the Porsche Taycan was driven in stock form...how do they know this? "...the problem here is that the Porsche Taycan was driven in a stock form." I didn't see it prominently mentioned in the news release from Porsche, but maybe I missed it when skimming it over.

New Porsche Taycan sets a record at the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

This release specifically says it is a "prototype"...

My primary concern is whether it maintains its efficiency. Porsche should publish their efficiency numbers for their 'Ring run. Taycan Takedown? ;)

Your linked article claims the Porsche Taycan was driven in stock form...how do they know this? "...the problem here is that the Porsche Taycan was driven in a stock form." I didn't see it prominently mentioned in the news release from Porsche, but maybe I missed it when skimming it over.

New Porsche Taycan sets a record at the Nürburgring-Nordschleife

This release specifically says it is a "prototype"...

Yes that's an important clarification Alan. A prototype of course means just about anything is game in terms of potential modifications and tweaks. And of course Tesla could always argue that the modifications seen on this P100D might be part of a future stock sporty-er version of the Model S. And I suspect many of the cars brought out on Nurburgring that are labeled as stock have had pad changes, brake fluid changes, and of course track tires. That's at a minimum. You're wondering about efficiency and I'm wondering about what they've done to improve the Model S's vulnerability to heat soaking. I have to believe that they made major efforts in that regard. Otherwise I think they know they would have no chance of beating the Taycan's time. And there's no way they're going out there to finish second.

I wish they ran this modified Model S through the EPA cycle. Guess much of the efficiency advantage would be gone just due to the huge tires. :p
Well, we do know that all the stuff that Tesla bolted onto this car (huge tires and brakes, rear wing, flared fenders) comes standard with the Porsche. ;) Tesla also enlarged the front air intake, which probably means this has a larger radiator than the production car (that would be serious cheating).

Yes. It actually has a badge with P100D+. I'd be willing to bet this version will be for sale shortly.