Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He can agree all he wants, but neither he nor the Youtuber were there. How would they know anything about Topgear's measurements? It's all just speculation. If Treelon wants honest comparisons, he could start by dropping the rollout time shenanigans for the Performance cars.

If the software update pushes Tesla to the front again, kudos to them. Ain't competition great? :D

I thought we were discussing actual performance versus reported. I can guarantee if you give me a Taycan to test, it will have a 0-60 of over 5 seconds and a quarter mile time of 20+. Assuming it doesn't have 'issues' during testing.

Top Gear admitted that the numbers they gave weren't even from that set of tests. So not even Top Gear was there then...
Porsche Taycan vs Tesla Model S Drag Race: clarification

Somehow, their 2017 Model S was faster than a 2019 (Raven?)
Elon Musk Is Beefing With Top Gear Over Drag Race Between Tesla Model S And Porsche Taycan [Updated]

Update, 4:45 p.m.: A Top Gear Magazine spokesperson reached out to Jalopnik to confirm that the latest video did in fact use the results of a previous test, claiming it was the fastest the magazine has ever recorded the car, with the 2017 Tesla outperforming the results of the 2019 Tesla featured in the latest video against the Taycan:

Even the 2017 should be able to beat the previous 2017 times: (this is the March 2019 bump, not the recent one)
Tesla to increase Model 3 power and top speed in upcoming software update

Edit: maybe they had the car set to the wrong ride height. I hear that limits peak power.

Last edited:
I thought we were discussing actual performance versus reported. I can guarantee if you give me a Taycan to test, it will have a 0-60 of over 5 seconds and a quarter mile time of 20+. Assuming it doesn't have 'issues' during testing.

Top Gear admitted that the numbers they gave weren't even from that set of tests. So not even Top Gear was there then...
Porsche Taycan vs Tesla Model S Drag Race: clarification
LOL. So they used the older numbers to make Tesla look better, and the fanboys are still complaining? This thread is comedy gold. :p
Yeah well, perhaps the Raven isn't all that it's cracked up to be?
Edit: maybe they had the car set to the wrong ride height. I hear that limits peak power.
Possibly they also forgot to do a rain dance around the car after the 15 minute Ludicrous warm-up procedure.

LOL. So they used the older numbers to make Tesla look better, and the fanboys are still complaining? This thread is comedy gold. :p

They used old numbers because their test results were so bad that they knew they were screwed up. (They left range mode on completely invalidating the test.)

So they used numbers from a different version of the car without so much as a note?

They used old numbers because their test results were so bad that they knew they were screwed up. (They left range mode on completely invalidating the test.)
Maybe Tesla needs to simplify this procedure.
Kind of like with the Porsche Taycan. Press Sport Plus button, foot on the brake, full throttle and let go off the brake and boom, maximum acceleration.

Maybe Tesla could do away with this complicated procedure of activating ludicrous mode and launch control in some touch screen menus, waiting 35 minutes for battery having the right temperature for max acceleration....

max-battery.jpg

Last edited:
Press Sport Plus button, foot on the brake, full throttle and let go off the brake and boom, maximum acceleration.

I understand the point of launch control in an ICE vehicle, since it takes time for your foot to go from the brake to the gas.

But does it make sense in an EV with Hold mode? Your foot wouldn't be on the brake pedal as you prepare to launch, it would be hovering over the accelerator.

I understand the point of launch control in an ICE vehicle, since it takes time for your foot to go from the brake to the gas.

But does it make sense in an EV with Hold mode? Your foot wouldn't be on the brake pedal as you prepare to launch, it would be hovering over the accelerator.

I've read anecdotal stories of launch time not being significantly different from flooring it. However, I have also read that the car will not leap if you just floor it (unintended acceleration mitigation). Launch mode does preload the drive train which is a good thing to avoid shock loads. One person also broke their accelerator pedal flooring it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Maybe Tesla needs to simplify this procedure.
Kind of like with the Porsche Taycan. Press Sport Plus button, foot on the brake, full throttle and let go off the brake and boom, maximum acceleration.

Maybe Tesla could do away with this complicated procedure of activating ludicrous mode and launch control in some touch screen menus, waiting 35 minutes for battery having the right temperature for max acceleration....

max-battery.jpg

Or, maybe, this procedure is necessary so that Tesla owners can take advantage of the 100+ mile range difference...instead of driving around 100% of the time in one of the least efficient BEVs on the market...

I realize you guys that are here to denigrate Tesla 24/7 will just say that people purchasing the Taycan don't care about efficiency, but ignoring the benefits of Tesla's approach is so obviously short sighted I'm surprised you can keep doing it unabashedly.

The Model S has always been a practical car that you can drive quickly...I am sorry that a purpose built Porsche isn't overwhelmingly superior in all performance metrics, despite being entirely inferior as a BEV. Porsche will get there some day, don't worry.

Dragy uses 1 foot rollout for 1/4 mile. If Top Gear doesn’t include rollout (and they probably don’t since their other times seem a tick slow too) that would make this time only 0.3 seconds faster than theirs. We’re talking about pretty small differences here. The 2mph difference in trap speed does seem to suggest they were a little low on power.

And, surprise, the 0-60 time without rollout is almost identical to the P100D time that Topgear used, and the 1/4 mile trap speed is still much lower than the Taycan's.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the trap speed being higher. Top Gear still lie about the 1/4th mile times.

Like I said before I will just wait for someone like drag times to take the Taycan Turbo S and the Model S to the drag strip and post a not edited video and time slips.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the trap speed being higher.
What was mostly disputed is the 0-60 time, and it's actually a perfect match.
Top Gear still lie about the 1/4th mile times.
Not if the 1/4 mile time from the tweet is measured with rollout, as @Daniel in SD posted. It's hard to explain that the trap speed is so different from the Taycan if the time is supposed to be similar.

Guys, look at the trap speeds.

The Taycan is at 131mph, that‘s at least 5mph faster than any P100D I have seen to date.

Therefore the Taycan Turbo S should pull several car lengths at higher speeds. Of course the Taycan will do that all over again instead of the preheated one trick pony Model S.

The reality is: The Taycan CRUSHES the Model S in every single performance area. Just get over it Fanboys.

I am sorry that so many of you find it galling that a 4-seat Sports Sedan can’t destroy a 6+2-seat family sedan, designed 7 years ago, in all performance categories. Based on real world consumer owned vehicles the pre-production Taycan does not “crush” the P100D in 0-60, 0-100, charging speed, or range.

Just be content that it has higher top end performance, and is more trackable…than a family sedan…priced $85k less.