Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teach me how to charge!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I received mine just put the 14-50 NEMA adapter in the mobile charger and plugged the Tesla adapté on the car and it worked

have you reset the car by holding the 2 uttons from the steering wheel?
Yes. It turned out it was a faulty cable that they switched out. Now it works. Just doing the minimum, as stated in previous responses. I’m no longer holding the button for long.

Not sure why he was saying all that but he is wrong. Open the charge door and shove the cable in is all I do and it works fine. Sounds like there is a problem with your car or your charger.

I also just picked up my Model 3. Pushing the button on the Wall Connector cord opened the charge door first time. And then it has never worked again since. Now I always have to open the phone app, wake the car, and open the charge port in the app...l

I also just picked up my Model 3. Pushing the button on the Wall Connector cord opened the charge door first time. And then it has never worked again since. Now I always have to open the phone app, wake the car, and open the charge port in the app...l
The car has to be awake to open the port, whether you do it by pushing on the charge door or pressing the button on the plug. That first time, you probably hadn't let the car go to sleep. If you press lightly on one of the door handles to wake up the car, I think you'll find pressing the button on the wall connector will open the door.

The car has to be awake to open the port, whether you do it by pushing on the charge door or pressing the button on the plug. That first time, you probably hadn't let the car go to sleep. If you press lightly on one of the door handles to wake up the car, I think you'll find pressing the button on the wall connector will open the door.

Tried again tonight after driving, parking, getting out of the car and going straight to the Wall Connector. Button on the Wall Connector would not open the charge door. Touching the bottom of the charge door with my hand caused it to immediately open.

Not sure what is going wrong. It did work properly when I first brought the car home three days ago, but never since...

Tried again tonight after driving, parking, getting out of the car and going straight to the Wall Connector. Button on the Wall Connector would not open the charge door. Touching the bottom of the charge door with my hand caused it to immediately open.

I use a Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE that I owned prior to buying my Model 3 for most of my charging, so my experience with the buttons on Tesla's EVSEs is limited. That said, in my experience, those buttons are less reliable than other methods of opening the charge-port door. Perhaps the radio receiver in my car is just flaky, but at Superchargers, but button works for me less than half the time. My own Mobile Connector's button is more reliable, but I seldom use it. I've seen similar reports from others, so if my car's hardware is defective, it's a somewhat common defect. I have no problems opening the charge port door with the Tesla app or by pushing the button on the Tesla's center screen, so it's definitely not a problem with the motor that does the opening; it's either my car's radio receiver for this signal or I've run into a string of bad Supercharger charge-handle radios.

OP - just knowing how to plug in the charging connector isn't nearly enough. If you really want to know some details on the charging system and power wiring in your house, start here and look at some of the other Tesla videos on my youtube channel, there is some real technical excellence here!

Not sure what is going wrong. It did work properly when I first brought the car home three days ago, but never since...
Sounds like the radio signal the wall connector is supposed to send out isn't happening...or your car is failing to receive it. The easiest thing to try is plugging your mobile connector in (120v outlet is fine) and see if that button will open the port. If it does then your wall connector is malfunctioning, if it doesn't, then the car needs to be looked at.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H