Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Limitation of Power S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the limiter lines on a warm day with cruise control, battery was at 25%. I do however see the limit lines pop up during moderate acceleration when the battery is between 50 and 80 percent and then go away when I let off.

My car (S85) is currently at the service center for limiting power on extended drives...even with high SOC and ~70 degree F weather...
Would love to have a quarter mile runlog from your car and a normally functioning S85 for you to compare. Right now we only have an S85 0-60 from @Demetraki (for which we are grateful) in the Performance Metrics.

FYI, on the 75 the difference in power between 90% SoC and 15% SoC appears below in gray and green. We have some quarter mile 100D runlogs (which are 400v instead of 350) if you want to compare to those. We haven't seen any thermally limited runlogs but I would think an illustration would help you make your case.

upload_2017-12-11_11-17-6.png

Last edited:
I have an March 2014 S85 VIN 32xxx and have only had the power limiting line when low SOC, like 30 RM or less remaining. I live in Texas and even when it is > 100 outside I never have issues with the battery pack limiting my output and I floor it pretty much daily.

Maybe they enhanced the cooling from 2013 to 2014 but I would not be happy if it was limiting my output especially if that was a new issue.

You would definitely be in the range they used the Tyco contactors.

I have P04xxx and P115xxx and both had Tyco contactors that went out.

I would request the service center look into this for you. I don't know for sure, but heard they might be under a recall.

Could you expand on the service bulletin you reference... I have 2013 MS85 P2769X I do seem to get the power issues too at times, when the car seems warm... with more than 40-50% battery.

Have a road trip coming up and will monitor this closely. I am going to start a log as well. This will be on my list for the next SC visit. Real bummer to have this happening since this is a 3 month old CPO to me. Nov 13 build P26xxxx. Also wondering about the connectors now.

Had 60% charge tonight and it immediately limited power when I floored it driving 45mph. Tesla won't do anything....I have given it up in the short term in hopes that I see a larger failure so I can take back to them. I am driving from Charlotte, NC to Pittsburgh, PA next week and back the following week, we will see how it fairs...I did this trip in a loaner S85 and never had limitation of power, even on long uphill portions.

In my case it is not showing dotted line - it just won't go over 300 KW. Today I had tesla tech to srive my car and he admited that it is strange. I have appointment dor Jan 3 to change lots of parts and they will look at it.

I was wondering since one part that is going to be changer is the motor for all kind of notices is it possible that since the motor is going bad this ti be the reason for power limitation.