Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible time to buy M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be in the market for a Model 3 but there seem to be zero incentives to do so - no inventory discounts, no US-style low rates because they use bank financing here, trade in price (for a non-Tesla) fairly meh. But it is still a nice option as far as EVs go.

I know when-to-buy is an eternal question with Tesla but is this possibly the WORST time to buy an M3?

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Well M3 is the cheapest it ever has been and the new one is has more features for less price. So it’s all about perspective 😀
Fair point. It does tick a lot of boxes and having had one of the first 2018s in Canada I can see the massive changes (and wince at the price I paid back then…).

It’s just I’ve been conditioned by Tesla that there was always something on offer as an incentive to buy, surprised even referrals have gone. And annoying the US has the low rates (from Tesla themselves) while we get stiffed in Canada, as usual.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
I might be in the market for a Model 3 but there seem to be zero incentives to do so - no inventory discounts, no US-style low rates because they use bank financing here, trade in price (for a non-Tesla) fairly meh. But it is still a nice option as far as EVs go.

I know when-to-buy is an eternal question with Tesla but is this possibly the WORST time to buy an M3?

Currently US Model 3 RWD and AWD do not qualify for their $7500 federal rebate.

RWD Model 3 in USA: $40630 USD before taxes. $55872 CAD.
RWD Model 3 in Canada: $52996 before taxes and $5000 rebate.

Same car is almost $7000 CAD cheaper in Canada. Pretty sure this is the best time to get Model 3 here.

Currently US Model 3 RWD and AWD do not qualify for their $7500 federal rebate.

RWD Model 3 in USA: $40630 USD before taxes. $55872 CAD.
RWD Model 3 in Canada: $52996 before taxes and $5000 rebate.

Same car is almost $7000 CAD cheaper in Canada. Pretty sure this is the best time to get Model 3 here.
I wish this calculation applied to the MY as well, Sigh

Currently MYLR in US is USD $34,490 while it’s CAD $63,990 🥲 here

Well M3 is the cheapest it ever has been and the new one is has more features for less price. So it’s all about perspective 😀
In the US, the cheapest the M3 has ever been, was Q4 2023 if you qualified for the $7.5k Tax Credit.

Back then, Brand New RWDs (non-Highland) were going for OTD ~$32k after the Credit. Some states had additional State specific EV incentives, lowering it more.

I wish this calculation applied to the MY as well, Sigh

Currently MYLR in US is USD $34,490 while it’s CAD $63,990 🥲 here
That US price of $34,490 is after the $7500 tax credit and $6000 estimated fuel savings. The actual vehicle price for the MYLRAWD is USD $47990 which equates to about CAD $65,700 at current exchange rates. That particular model is actually cheaper in Canada than in the US. The part that I don't understand is that the price differential between the RWD and AWD, for both the 3 and Y, is $3000 in the US and $10,000 in Canada (not even close to the same even after applying the exchange rate).

That US price of $34,490 is after the $7500 tax credit and $6000 estimated fuel savings. The actual vehicle price for the MYLRAWD is USD $47990 which equates to about CAD $65,700 at current exchange rates. That particular model is actually cheaper in Canada than in the US. The part that I don't understand is that the price differential between the RWD and AWD, for both the 3 and Y, is $3000 in the US and $10,000 in Canada (not even close to the same even after applying the exchange rate).

American has LR RWD Model Y and we only have SR RWD Model Y. But ours is LFP can be charged to 100% daily whereas the American LR RWD is like any other LR models with daily charging of 80-90%.

In BC you can get a new M3 Rwd for about 41k plus tax which is a very good price, since it qualifies for the provincial and federal rebates of $9000.