Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s largest recall won’t fix Autopilot safety issues, experts say — more TESLA bashing by the Washington Post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many others have pointed, no discussion at all of how safety is enhanced by self driving. In my neighborhood, with cars parked on both sides, I feel much safer with the car on autopilot and watch with fascination and satisfaction that the car does a much better job — not than I could possibly do — rather, and this is the whole point — what I generally do — navigating the tight spaces, discerning the curbs (there are no painted lines), and clearly paying attention to all the cars in driveways and looking for differential velocity indicating someone might pull out.

The hesitation at intersections is a bit annoying as FSD is uncomfortable counting when is its turn at a four-way stop — so generally, I do that part.

The world needs the data to advance the state of art for a capability that is going to someday transform acceptance of 30,000 people dead a year in cars, to a thing of the past.

The recall does not require an improvement in collision avoidance technology.

It deals with how to harass human drivers more because the improvement in collision avoidance technology is not addressed.

More nags, more restrictions...

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Problem is, the “experts” want something to be idiot proof.
And those working towards full self driving are working towards this goal and will achieve it when the steering wheel and pedals are removed from all cars. The solution is removing idiots from behind the wheel.

Currently, there is an intersection of cars being driving by idiots and 'self-driving' cars being driven by idiots and as long as both are not following the rules, there will be collisions caused by the idiots behind the wheel.

What I find interesting is the refusal of Tesla drivers to give up control and so they do not allow the car to do what it is capable of. Due to the idiots on the road not following the rules, there is a problem mixing FSDb (which is supposed to be following the rules of the road) making the idiots behind the FSDb wheel feel unsafe.

Example 1: the driving rules say accelerate to the end of the on-ramp and merge. Driving rules also point to the efficiency of the zipper merge (anytime a lane closes but especially at the end of an on-ramp. But idiots on the road will not always allow someone that has passed them into the only lane left. Their refusal to give up THEIR lane to anyone else, causes conflict between the FSDb driver (whose car has passed someone while on the ramp and now expects a zipper merge to happen) and the driver of the vehicle in the through lane. The FSDb driver in this case, can't trust the car to manage the merge, not necessarily because it won't but because the other driver may purposely block the car putting the FSDb car in danger.

Example 2: the FSDb car will travel at the speed set. The problem comes when the culture of the area is to travel way faster than the speed limit or faster than the conditions allow (i.e. rain or snow.) Non AP-equipped drivers refuse to slow down to safe limits making AP-equipped drivers feel the pressure to speed up fast than the car deems safe. So they speed as well, compounding the problem. Once FSD truly is delivered though, all drivers will have to get used to driving to the conditions, not what they want, the car will choose the safe speed. In the meantime, AP-equipped drivers push their cars beyond what is safe and the results create situations like the one we are in now, increased nags because some people feel entitled to drive their car hands-free because they want to believe they bought a hands-free car and the fault is with the car, not with them for not recognizing they were sold snake-oil by the Master Salesman.

You don’t get it.
Uh. get what? You made zero point with your one-sentence comment.

You seem to be implying that I am saying that ignoring the problem will make it go away. My point was that by linking/promoting/reading these idiotic media websites, you're contributing to their revenue. Just ignore them.

The media will print the same BS the media always prints. Whatever gets them headlines.

I am saying the opinion of journalists, social media commenters, and the like is useless. Most of them probably wouldn't make it through a year of engineering school, and they're criticizing some of the smartest engineers in the world, who are working on one of the toughest problems in the world. Whatever gets them clicks.

F 'em.