Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance v. Porsche 911 4S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading all these posts has me salivating for delivery of my Model 3 Performance, as I too, was contemplating between the standard German sports cars (BMW, Porsche, Audi), and decided on the M3P+.

Long story short, delivery date scheduled for 3/21/20, 3/20/20 county shelter in place orders (Corona), and now just sitting at dealership awaiting re-opening of store........

Reactions: wgood33
There is surely a personality profile by brand and model, as in Honda Civic! And Tesla 3 Performance!

One of the greatest jokes of the bulletin board era. I was driving a 240Z when this rolled around, but didn't have anything but a spare tire in the wheel well. I have tried to update it by adding Tesla...

"What your car says about you ..."
Acura Integra - I have always wanted to own the Buick of sports cars
Acura Legend - I'm too bland for German cars
Audi 90 - I enjoy putting out engine fires
Buick Park Avenue - I am older than 34 of the 50 states
Cadillac Eldorado - I am a very good Mary Kay salesman
Cadillac Seville - I am a pimp
Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people
Chevrolet Chevette - I like seeing people's reactions when I tell them I have a' Vette
Chevrolet Corvette - I'm in a mid-life crisis
Chevrolet El Camino - I am leading a militia to overthrow the government
Chrysler Cordoba - I dig the rich Corinthian leather
Datsun 280Z - I have a kilo of cocaine in my wheel well
Dodge Dart - I teach third grade special education and voted for Eisenhower
Dodge Daytona - I delivered pizza for four years to get this car
Dodge Ram.- Former Civic owner going to get even with all the people who cut him off.
Ford Explorer - I will not be caught dead in a mini van
Ford Fairmont - (See Dodge Dart)
Ford Mustang - I slow down to 85 in school zones
Ford Crown Victoria - I enjoy having people slow to 55mph an change lanes when I pull up behind them
Geo Storm - I will start the 11th grade in the fall.
Geo Tracker - I will start the 12th grade in the fall.
Honda del Sol - I have always said, half a convertible is better than no convertible at all
Honda Civic - I have just graduated and have no credit
Honda Accord - I lack any originality and am basically a lemming.
Infiniti Q45 - I am a physician with 17 malpractice suits pending.
Isuzu Impulse - I do not give a damn about J.D. Power or his reports.
Jaguar XJ6 - I am so rich I will pay 60K for a car that is in the shop 280 days per year.
Kia Sephia - I learned nothing from the failure of Daihatsu Corp.
Lincoln Town Car - I live for bingo and covered dish suppers
Mercury Grand Marquis - (See above)
Mercedes 500SL - I will beat you up if you ask me for anautograph
Mercedes 560SEL - I have a daughter named Bitsy and a son named Cole
Mazda Miata - I do not fear being decapitated by an eighteen-wheeler
MGB - I am dating a mechanic
Mitsubishi Diamante - I don't know what it means either
Nissan 300ZX - I have yet to complete my divorce proceedings.
Oldsmobile Cutlass - I just stole this car and I'm going to make a fortune off the parts
Peugeot 505 Diesel - I am on the EPA's Ten Most Wanted List
Plymouth Neon - I sincerely enjoy doing the Macarena
Pontiac Trans AM - I have a switchblade in my sock
Porsche 911 Turbo - I have a three inch thingie
Porsche 944 - I am dating big haired women that otherwise would be inaccessible to me
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow - I think Pat Buchanon is a tad bit too liberal
Saturn SC2 - (See Honda Civic)
Subaru Legacy - I have always wanted a Japanese car even more inferior than Isuzu
Tesla Model S - I am embarrassed by car farting noises, but really like going fast
Toyota Camry - I am still in the closet
Volkswagon Beetle - I still watch Partridge Family reruns
Volkswagon Cabriolet - I am out of the closet
Volkswagon Microbus - I am tripping right now
Volvo 740 Wagon - I am frightened of my wife

Agree or disagree that it would be a dream combo? 911 and P3D
Absolutely IMO. And I'm fortunate to own both, one is daily, one is track toy. IMO, they serve a different purpose. The Model3 (mine is LR AWD) is the better daily machine of the two. Space, technology, the effortless to drive on the street. On the other hand, the 911 (any gen you personally like) would still be a better track toy (if you track), or a great occasional/niceday ride. The engine noise (personal I hate loud car on the street especially after living with the M3LR for 1.5yr), the handling, the sensation of driving and speed, and the connection of the driver and the car itself.

I have driven a silver 911 C4S for 16 years, models: 997.1, 997.2, 991.1, 991.2 and two weeks ago I switched to a Tesla 3 Performance. I had wondered what to expect but couldn't find any posts anywhere on making the change; only YouTube 911/Tesla 3P drag race videos!

So, for anyone considering the move and for Tesla 3 Performance owners wondering if they made the right choice (they did!) or what they might be missing (not a whole lot in IMHO!), here are some initial thoughts.

Firstly my own profile since that obviously colors my perspective: I am strictly an on-road driver. I have never been on a race track. I am a pretty aggressive, disciplined, reasonably responsible driver with a Valentine 1 who never exceeds 100 mph but is often driving over 80 mph on the highway and spends a fair amount of time navigating around my fellow NJ drivers! I have been ticket-free for the past ten years or so. I love to drive. I have never used cruise control, ever.

I loved my 911s for all the obvious reasons.They are beautiful sensual cars, especially from the back, exquisitely made and far, far in excess, at least roadholding performance-wise, of anything I ever put them through. My first and second were stick-shift and there was something wonderful about the experience of moving through the exquisite gear box. When they added a seventh gear I gave up and switched to PDK which was wonderful. I never once used the paddles. I kept my 911 in sports mode, always.

I leased all four cars and persuaded myself I wasn't actually paying for all the options. Of course, I was! The sumptuous leather interior, the fantastic Burmester sound system, the PASM, the auto leveling, the four wheel steering in the last one.....everything is extra in a Porsche. Everything.

I never got the sports exhaust which, as someone who despises Harley riders assaulting my ears, I thought was totally obnoxious. And not once did I try launch control. I couldn't imagine sitting at the traffic light gunning my engine to 4,000 RPM with the other foot on the brake. And, honestly, everything about the car was probably a bit obnoxious for anyone looking at mine, especially when I passed them in the right lane at 90. Even driving at 30 mph in our no-sidewalk neighborhood, people walking their dogs would wag their finger at me because although I was not driving fast my car always sounded fast.

Anyhow, the lease was nearly up on my 991.2 and my dealer was asking when I was going to order the 992. With the options I was used to, nothing crazy but this is a 911, the list on it was close to $140K and the lease payment was going to be in the range of $2,200 a month.

And so.....with five clicks (including a double click for the deposit) I ordered and bought a Tesla 3 Performance! (Fun fact: ordering my Apple Watch took ten clicks on their web site!)

So here is my take on the car in comparison to the 911.

OK. It's not as pretty! But it certainly isn't ugly. The S design, to my eye, is one of the finest sedan designs ever. The 3 not as much so, but its just fine. Coupes are easier to design. The new Roadster should be stunning.

Any other minuses versus a $140K 911 from my POV? Of course all the interior 'craftsmanship'. The roadholding on a racetrack where I never took it. Sex appeal?

So what about the plusses compared with a 911?

Performance! OMG. No contest. At least below 110 mph (see above!)
And quiet, no noise, no drama, instantly available acceleration.

Regenerative braking: what a wonderful way to drive.

Drive quality: definitely better than my last 911 with its refined air ride, self leveling, yada-ya. Tesla - better.

Steering quality: excellent. Just right for me in sports mode. Not in any way a letdown from the 911. Road feel? A 911 is also drive by wire these days.

Practicality: space, seating, storage, etc., obviously no comparison.

Automation: amazing! Phone key, auto garage door opening, connectivity.......

Sound system: to my ear at least as good and maybe better (and without the engine noise, much better) than a Bermester which cost close to $6,000 more(!) than the Bose system which was in turn a premium over the standard sound system. You get killed with options. It's the Porsche way.

Call quality: way, way better. Ditto navigation and voice navigation.

UI/UX: OK, I'm still mourning the absence of CarPlay, but wow, what a terrific user experience on balance.

Fun to drive? Different but I love the Tesla.

And this is before the really important stuff: a total change in the driving paradigm. No fossil fuel, automatic updating of features and functionality.

And all for under $60K delivered.

If I'd waited another week to write this I don't think I'd have even bothered. It's already hard to look back. Driving a Tesla changes how you think about driving. It is so obviously the future, as of course is autonomy and eventually cars as a service.

One final thought: when I went to return my 911, the dealer had a shiny new black Taycan Turbo recharging at the entrance. Very lightly optioned it was around $170,000 before tax. Even folding mirrors ($330) would be extra as would the premium Bermester audio ($5,810). A well optioned standard Turbo would be closer to $180K. But it did have one option listed:
  • Porsche Electric Sport Sound
And that to me said it all! Vroom-vroom.

How things have changed!
Glad you didn't "wait that extra week". Thanks for taking the time to post... Having a few 'chuckles'in a day is 'golden in these times. ;)

I too am a multiple 911 owner before the model 3 and I concur with the comments above. But I’m lucky enough to live in the UK where we generally know where the speed cameras are. So let me add that at 120mph + once again the M3 scores for serenity and responsiveness, but I think at these higher speeds the 911 feels slightly safer... can’t put my finger on it, just a bit more planted, like it was conceived to go that fast, whereas the M3 feels like it’s a happy accident of the power train. That’s not enough to sway me back to the Porsche and if value is a factor then the M3 wins every day.. but in the interests of fairness I thought I should mention it.

• Informative
Reactions: Magellan55
One of the greatest jokes of the bulletin board era. I was driving a 240Z when this rolled around, but didn't have anything but a spare tire in the wheel well. I have tried to update it by adding Tesla...

Cadillac Eldorado - I am a very good Mary Kay salesman
Cadillac Seville - I am a pimp
Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people
Chevrolet Chevette - I like seeing people's reactions when I tell them I have a' Vette
Chevrolet Corvette - I'm in a mid-life crisis
Chevrolet El Camino - I am leading a militia to overthrow the government
Chrysler Cordoba - I dig the rich Corinthian leather
Datsun 280Z - I have a kilo of cocaine in my wheel well
Dodge Dart - I teach third grade special education and voted for Eisenhower
Dodge Daytona - I delivered pizza for four years to get this car
Dodge Ram.- Former Civic owner going to get even with all the people who cut him off.
Ford Explorer - I will not be caught dead in a mini van
Ford Fairmont - (See Dodge Dart)
Ford Mustang - I slow down to 85 in school zones
Ford Crown Victoria - I enjoy having people slow to 55mph an change lanes when I pull up behind them
Geo Storm - I will start the 11th grade in the fall.
Geo Tracker - I will start the 12th grade in the fall.
Honda del Sol - I have always said, half a convertible is better than no convertible at all
Honda Civic - I have just graduated and have no credit
Honda Accord - I lack any originality and am basically a lemming.
Infiniti Q45 - I am a physician with 17 malpractice suits pending.
Isuzu Impulse - I do not give a damn about J.D. Power or his reports.
Jaguar XJ6 - I am so rich I will pay 60K for a car that is in the shop 280 days per year.
Kia Sephia - I learned nothing from the failure of Daihatsu Corp.
Lincoln Town Car - I live for bingo and covered dish suppers
Mercury Grand Marquis - (See above)
Mercedes 500SL - I will beat you up if you ask me for anautograph
Mercedes 560SEL - I have a daughter named Bitsy and a son named Cole
Mazda Miata - I do not fear being decapitated by an eighteen-wheeler
MGB - I am dating a mechanic
Mitsubishi Diamante - I don't know what it means either
Nissan 300ZX - I have yet to complete my divorce proceedings.
Oldsmobile Cutlass - I just stole this car and I'm going to make a fortune off the parts
Peugeot 505 Diesel - I am on the EPA's Ten Most Wanted List
Plymouth Neon - I sincerely enjoy doing the Macarena
Pontiac Trans AM - I have a switchblade in my sock
Porsche 911 Turbo - I have a three inch thingie
Porsche 944 - I am dating big haired women that otherwise would be inaccessible to me
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow - I think Pat Buchanon is a tad bit too liberal
Saturn SC2 - (See Honda Civic)
Subaru Legacy - I have always wanted a Japanese car even more inferior than Isuzu
Tesla Model S - I am embarrassed by car farting noises, but really like going fast
Toyota Camry - I am still in the closet
Volkswagon Beetle - I still watch Partridge Family reruns
Volkswagon Cabriolet - I am out of the closet
Volkswagon Microbus - I am tripping right now
Volvo 740 Wagon - I am frightened of my wife
Thanks... Lots and lots of chuckles... And not so far from the truth either... BTW I still have my originally purchased '70 240Z in my garage. It will celebrate its 50th birthday May 7th. :)

Thank you @Zcd1 and @Knightshade - exactly the responses I needed!
The $64k is the out the door price for the color add, doc fees taxes registration, most of which I would certainly have to add to a $45k 2018
There are a handful out there. Everyone seems to say these are so reliable which leads me to think the warranty is less often used.

Thank you @Zcd1 and @Knightshade - exactly the responses I needed!
The $64k is the out the door price for the color add, doc fees taxes registration, most of which I would certainly have to add to a $45k 2018
There are a handful out there. Everyone seems to say these are so reliable which leads me to think the warranty is less often used.
Just FYI, in NJ the M3P with midnight silver upcharge is just under $60,000 delivered. No tax or even registration on EV's, it seems.

Well, I haven’t owned anything really expensive, but the Model 3 at high speeds is anything but stable lol. Going 160 km/h (I know this isn’t high speed) but it does not feel right over highway speeds. It kind of feels jumpy with excessive wind noise that takes away the fun. Seats do need improvement for sure when cornering or accelerating. Just my opinion

For reference I have the 2020 Model 3 performance.

Odd. I find it absolutely rock solid. Do you have a 3P with the PUP (20" wheels and Michelin 4Ss)?

Porsche is best in the world for providing that "planted" feeling on the road. If the Model 3 is even in the same ball park, that says a lot.
I would say reasonably close at highway speeds. Probably less so on a track. But a very different experience. Less drama in an M3P and less emotion too, though the eerily quiet, astonishingly linear acceleration is pretty addictive!

What happened to BMW??
3-series - Someday I will own a Rolex and Gucci sunglasses
5-series - 4 more years til retirement!
M3 - I wanted a Porsche, but the wife wanted a damn kid...

• Funny
Reactions: wenkan
Thanks... Lots and lots of chuckles... And not so far from the truth either... BTW I still have my originally purchased '70 240Z in my garage. It will celebrate its 50th birthday May 7th. :)

for a few years I owned (never got it driveable) one of the first 200 Z cars. A 1969 240Z. Kids came and put the end to my dream of restoring it. Sold it to a deep pocket car collector. Had a 1971 240Z as a daily driver. Loved the feel of the car. About as far removed from a Tesla as you could get. Even had a manual choke. AM radio.

I have a M3 (2018 LR RWD) and a 911(991.1 C4 GTS). I would agree that it is the best of two worlds. Both are best in class in their segment. I originally bought the 911 as a daily driver, but the M3 is just much better for that (Great UI, navigation, one pedal driving, awesome sound system, car pool stickers). My go to car for weekend fun and track days is of course the 911. No other car delivers on such visceral experience. That said, if I can keep only one, it would be the M3. Fortunately, I don’t have to choose