Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3: Second drive unit failure in under a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery last night of my Tesla 2 LR we did not even get out of the parking lot the screen showed an alert power train failure. The car has 2 miles on it. They gave us a loaner 3 for now until the techs get in on Monday waiting to hear out 2019 SR 3 we traded never had any issues
How many miles did it have on the odometer? With such an early failure, you sometimes wonder why it couldn't happen when they drove it at the factory! Then again, better it fail right at the start, rather than 3 months later on the interstate somewhere in heavy traffic.

We received our Tesla 3 last Dec/Jan, and just had the rear drive unit fail for the second time. This time, it failed on the highway, creating a dangerous driving situation for us.

First time, Tesla said, 'oh, extremely rare, will not happen again.' No one is returning my calls this time :-/.

We use it for infrequent commuting and it has 6K miles on it. Would love to hear others' perspectives on this. So disappointed in our lemon.
I have a Model Y that is only 3 months old and I was in rural northern CA last week when my car died. They towed it away and I've been told it is the rear drive unit the has been detected as having failure. They will replace when a new one comes in in a few weeks. Any advice on what to look for or expect when i get back my car? I'm hoping this will be the end of it and also hope they will deliver my car since I'm 400 miles from home and can't take more time off work to retrieve my new car. Any input is greatly appreciated

I have a Model Y that is only 3 months old and I was in rural northern CA last week when my car died. They towed it away and I've been told it is the rear drive unit the has been detected as having failure. They will replace when a new one comes in in a few weeks. Any advice on what to look for or expect when i get back my car? I'm hoping this will be the end of it and also hope they will deliver my car since I'm 400 miles from home and can't take more time off work to retrieve my new car. Any input is greatly appreciated
Unless they botched the installation in some way (unlikely), or the replacement itself had an issue, there's nothing to really worry about. It will drive like it did before, and you'll hopefully never have this issue again. They revise the drive units as faults are found, so later revisions should be more reliable. Your repair ticket will give you a hint of the version and part numbers, but you can also talk the service center to get more clarity on what happened exactly. Based on other members' posts, it's usually a fault in one of the inverters.

We received our Tesla 3 last Dec/Jan, and just had the rear drive unit fail for the second time. This time, it failed on the highway, creating a dangerous driving situation for us.

First time, Tesla said, 'oh, extremely rare, will not happen again.' No one is returning my calls this time :-/.

We use it for infrequent commuting and it has 6K miles on it. Would love to hear others' perspectives on this. So disappointed in our lemon.
My brand new model Y drive unit fails with only 500 miles.. It’s in service and the estimate it would take 2 to 4 weeks to replace a new one!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
See Vehicle shutting down please pull over safely [edit: 12v battery issue].

If it is "uncommon" then it will not have any effect. However, if more reports come in, it could initiate an investigation. That investigation could eventually lead to a recall.

Stop being one of those people who discourages drivers from reporting legitimate safety defects to the appropriate regulatory and safety authorities. As I've said before, I've been on car forums for about 2 decades now. This is the ONLY forum I'm on where there's a small set of users who actively discourage such reporting. I thought TMC turned the corner on that a few years ago...

I went thru this nonsense before with a vocal few weirdos here in 2015 and had to keep explaining and giving examples:
When to report NHTSA issues?

And, to be clear, I'm am NOT advocating ANY recall at this point, just a report to provide a data point. Recalls themselves don't actually have to affect a large portion of the vehicle population. Examples:
Toyota recalls 86 coupe over ignition-key troubles - 94 units affected
Smallest Recall Ever? A Solitary 2014 Chevrolet Volt Involved in Ten-Car Steering Recall - 10 units affected
BMW Issues The Smallest Recall Ever; One BMW X3 Affected @ Top Speed - supposedly affects only 1 unit
Rolls-Royce issues smallest recall ever, affects just one car
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/07/the-top-10-smallest-recalls-of-2013/ - ranges between 4 and 74 units
To add to example of a recall affecting a tiny # of vehicles, here's another that affected a SINGLE vehicle:

They do NOT need to involve a large population of vehicles to meet the bar.

I feel your pain, having experienced a drive unit failure on my second day of ownership.

But talk of invoking lemon laws or involving lawyers at this point is misguided and premature at best. Lemon laws typically apply when a vehicle is “defective and cannot be repaired after a ‘reasonable’ number of attempts”. (I took this quote from a State of California website before realizing that your location of “Ca” probably meant Canada, but I suspect the laws are similar across North America.:D).

So far there’s only been one unsuccessful repair attempt, which seems far from “unreasonable”. But hopefully Tesla will do a thorough investigation to determine if there are any underlying issues at play in this repeat failure.
@jsmay311 Curious to know how your replaced rear drive unit has been a year later. We just got a MYLR a few weeks ago and on day 4 and 200 miles we got a message “Power reduction. Pull over immediately”. We ended up with a new rear drive unit as well. Very disheartening to say the least. Needless to say, we are concerned about this happening again. Would appreciate knowing your experience a year later.

@jsmay311 Curious to know how your replaced rear drive unit has been a year later. We just got a MYLR a few weeks ago and on day 4 and 200 miles we got a message “Power reduction. Pull over immediately”. We ended up with a new rear drive unit as well. Very disheartening to say the least. Needless to say, we are concerned about this happening again. Would appreciate knowing your experience a year later.

It’s actually nearly 4 years and 52,000 miles later. Regardless, I haven’t had any issues with my replacement drive unit.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, @cwerdna. I'm an engineer. The 12 volt battery problems you reference have nothing to do with the drive motor. There have been some "accessory" 12 volt batteries failing. The other issues you list are all over the place. Let's be real. There are about a million Teslas on the road. Of course there are going to be failures, like on any electronics. Of course it's always unnerving when it happens to you. Having two DUs fail on the same car might suggest an upstream or mechanical fault causing both. That needs to be thoroughly checked. But statistically it's like rolling dice, each throw is independent of the previous ones.

Reporting a drive failure to NTSB or whoever? sure, if there's a database, why not. Just be specific as to what failed and what was replaced so it's useful.

Now the OP and everybody needs to calm down. People are getting riled up about how he's being charged. That hasn't happened here. The standard Tesla invoice always shows cost to repair for their internal accounting. The car is under warranty, the drive train I believe for 8 years, there's no way he's going to pay anything, or be blamed for it, unless e.g. he commutes under water.

"I want a call back and someone to describe why the vehicle has had two catastrophic failures." Aside from the regrettable fact that they don't call back much, do you think that somebody making calls in service knows the answer to that question?

Please, relax, there's a good warranty, the cars are overall very reliable. Go pick up the car and talk to the service manager until you're satisfied. Ask if they've examined the car carefully and if they've completely excluded some other failure that would cause 2 drives to go out. Ask him what exactly failed, how, what they've replaced, and what else they've checked to ensure there's no hidden problem. Be polite but tell him how much grief and anxiety this has caused, and ask him if this wouldn't suggest to a reasonable person that they missed something during the first repair, and were being negligent, or that you might prefer a new car?
Absolutely wrong in every sense. The DUs on these vehicles are a complete failure. It would be bad enough to see 1 fail before 60 to 70k miles, but multiple failures on the same vehicle? This is symbolic of blowing multiple engines on a car of the same mileage. My DU just failed a mere couple of months out of warranty and, Tesla wants $7000 to fix it!! It’s absolutely absurd. Car was running perfectly fine then, all of the sudden came the whining noise everyone complains of. Sure enough, $7000 estimate at 69,000 miles. It’s a complete fraud as this failure is well known on these cars and should be an automatic replacement prior to the 8 yr mark.
Let’s face the facts here. Matters not if you are an “engineer” or not, doesn’t change the facts on this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Hi friend! The same exact thing happened to me. My Tesla is only 1200 miles, and I purchased it less than two months ago. The first time it failed I was luckily parked. They brought it in for service and replaced the drive unit. I picked up my car a week later, and it failed in the middle lane of the freeway. It’s in the shop right now and I don’t know what to do. I’m kind of scared to drive my Tesla on the highway from now on. Any advice?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and KenC
BS that's its a "very frequent occurrence for many people"...the reality is its a VERY infrequent occurrence for VERY few people. If it happened so much and to so many the forums would be full of it...the forum is NOT full of these stories about
Hi friend! The same exact thing happened to me. My Tesla is only 1200 miles, and I purchased it less than two months ago. The first time it failed I was luckily parked. They brought it in for service and replaced the drive unit. I picked up my car a week later, and it failed in the middle lane of the freeway. It’s in the shop right now and I don’t know what to do. I’m kind of scared to drive my Tesla on the highway from now on. Any advice?
From what I’m hearing, it’s an ongoing issue that has been known for quite some time. I’m honestly surprised to have not seen any class action suits on this given that it’s a known problem that Tesla continues to charge $7000 for.

Yours is in warranty so, they’ll replace it as many times as needed up until your warranty expires. It’s hard to imagine this happening multiple times on a newer vehicle as, I thought it was common more to older models. Since you have a newer vehicle, could be possible to see if Tesla will buy it back and issue you a replacement.

Hmm…that’s so interesting and unfortunate to hear. I was talking to a family member and they recommended that if it happens again, to go forward with a Lemon Law case. It’s so frustrating that they claim to have replaced the Drive unit when another incident happens after. I was told they’re going to have to replace it again. I’m a little confused on the fact that they replaced it and the same incident occurred? Does anyone know how this must have happened?

Well, the first could be a bad DU, and the 2nd could be a bad install, leading to a DU failure, because the odds of two DUs failing in such a short time seems astronomical.
Honestly, that makes sense and hearing that makes me feel at least a little better. That was exactly what I was thinking...like the chances of two failures within 8 days is just terrible luck! :'(

Absolutely wrong in every sense. The DUs on these vehicles are a complete failure. It would be bad enough to see 1 fail before 60 to 70k miles, but multiple failures on the same vehicle? This is symbolic of blowing multiple engines on a car of the same mileage. My DU just failed a mere couple of months out of warranty and, Tesla wants $7000 to fix it!! It’s absolutely absurd. Car was running perfectly fine then, all of the sudden came the whining noise everyone complains of. Sure enough, $7000 estimate at 69,000 miles. It’s a complete fraud as this failure is well known on these cars and should be an automatic replacement prior to the 8 yr mark.
Let’s face the facts here. Matters not if you are an “engineer” or not, doesn’t change the facts on this issue.
wait... a Drive unit plus install is $7k ???? lol. that's insane...

But isn’t the drive train warranty at least 100,000 miles? The LR motor warranty is 120,000. I’m not understanding how customers are being charged for this.
There is no "drivetrain" warranty. Battery pack and drive unit warranties are currently at least 8 years or 100K miles (Vehicle Warranty), whichever comes fist.

I and others have had to mention this a bunch of times because when things like half-shafts need replacement they think it's covered as part of a "drivetrain" warranty that doesn't exist.

Judging by Dnelson's posts (e.g. 2014 Drive Unit - Inverter Whining Noise), he's out of warranty by time. And, Tesla's warranty has also evolved over time.

Yes, that's a post about an early Model S (in the Model 3 section) and they were known to have DU failures. So, none of this is surprising. If you own one that old, expect early adopter problems.

Same with the early Model 3s. The difference is, the DU should still be covered for those under 100 / 120K.

See Vehicle shutting down please pull over safely [edit: 12v battery issue].

If it is "uncommon" then it will not have any effect. However, if more reports come in, it could initiate an investigation. That investigation could eventually lead to a recall.

Stop being one of those people who discourages drivers from reporting legitimate safety defects to the appropriate regulatory and safety authorities. As I've said before, I've been on car forums for about 2 decades now. This is the ONLY forum I'm on where there's a small set of users who actively discourage such reporting. I thought TMC turned the corner on that a few years ago...

I went thru this nonsense before with a vocal few weirdos here in 2015 and had to keep explaining and giving examples:

And, to be clear, I'm am NOT advocating ANY recall at this point, just a report to provide a data point. Recalls themselves don't actually have to affect a large portion of the vehicle population. Examples:
Toyota recalls 86 coupe over ignition-key troubles - 94 units affected
Smallest Recall Ever? A Solitary 2014 Chevrolet Volt Involved in Ten-Car Steering Recall - 10 units affected
BMW Issues The Smallest Recall Ever; One BMW X3 Affected @ Top Speed - supposedly affects only 1 unit
Rolls-Royce issues smallest recall ever, affects just one car
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/07/the-top-10-smallest-recalls-of-2013/ - ranges between 4 and 74 units
To reply to my own example, at 2022 TESLA MODEL S | NHTSA, Tesla recalled 9 '21 to '22 Model S:
"February 23, 2022 NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V104000
Side Curtain Air Bay May Improperly Deploy
An incorrectly assembled inflator can cause a delayed or improper deployment of the side curtain air bag, increasing the risk of injury during a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V104000

Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 9

Summary
Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2021-2022 Model S vehicles. The right or left side curtain air bag inflators may have been assembled incorrectly."

Here are two PDFs from the associated docs: