Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone aware of an easily-digestible comparison page or list that exists anywhere? While there have been the occasional nugget of useful info in this thread, it's mostly 37 pages of various unrelated discussion rather than making an informed alternative comparison. Very difficult to fish through for actual info unless reading the whole thing start to end. The nature of the forum format of course...

I'm not in the market to change my car yet, but probably will be this time next year. As more cars come to market over the year, it will become more cumbersome to compare them. It would be nice to find a direct comparison table among the features each of us may have a preference for (or not) when considering a move away from Tesla.
  • Models & Prices
  • Range of options (what's included or has to be paid extra for)
  • Battery size/range/efficiency
  • Driver assist and real world "what does it really do" (AP or otherwise)
  • In-car Software Interface
  • Car software updates, or lack of
  • Audio system and performance
  • Mobile app functionality & reliability
  • Other USPs a brand may have
Not wanting to drive your away from this hallowed forum...but its only just Tesla folks mostly.

I'd suggest you take a look over at SpeakEV as you'll find most of what your looking for and can chat with various owners of said makes and models. its also very UK-centric which helps if you're also UK-centric 😀

Reactions: KennethS
Not wanting to drive your away from this hallowed forum...but its only just Tesla folks mostly.

Well, isn't that the best place to garner opinions from existing Tesla drivers who are potentially looking for alternatives to their existing car? Sharing findings of cars they may have looked at and dismissed for various reasons as a valid alternative to a Tesla, or decided to go ahead & purchase. A bit like the title of this thread 🤯

Although having said that, when someone posts on here that they have sold their Tesla & bought a Fisker or BMW etc there is usually a swathe of posts along the lines of "don't let the door hit you on the way out" or "why are you still here then" type posts rather than appreciating their opinions or feedback on why they may have switched cars.

I'd suggest you take a look over at SpeakEV as you'll find most of what your looking for and can chat with various owners of said makes and models. its also very UK-centric which helps if you're also UK-centric 😀

Yes, I have almost twice as many posts over there as I do here :) I was hoping to find a more succinct summary that had been built over time by those who had made comparisons themselves. I don't particularly want to trawl through every subforum for the other cars but I suppose it may come to that eventually if I finally decide that I want to replace my M3 with something else.

Just as an extension to what @Sean. has said, if you are not averse to doing a bit of the legwork to compare for yourself, EV Database is an invaluable source for the specs etc.

Stats from databases like that are created from the data the manufacturers publish, which don't always equate to what is seen in the real world by owners. A useful point of reference to see what is out there though, of course.

I guess my post was more of a rhetorical musing than one I was expecting an actual answer for, as I'm fairly sure it probably doesn't really exist.

In an ideal world there would be a searchable website with consumer-driven information that you could query for specific information. An example would maybe be parking assist features. You could perhaps see a list of what each of the cars in your price range offer and how their real world performance compares (not just what the spec sheet says they do). Does it have USS? Is there a 360 camera view? Is there some kind of summon function? Does it "work", or is the implementation poor? etc etc.

Stats from databases like that are created from the data the manufacturers publish, which don't always equate to what is seen in the real world by owners. A useful point of reference to see what is out there though, of course.
EV Database contains what the manufacturers publish plus real world figures. Have you had a look?

I made made decision doing a fair bit of legwork before I came to this forum...only to apparently find out I done the wrong one ;)

Reactions: Adopado
On alternatives, we have recently acquired a bmw ix. Needed an extra car in the house, our existing Model Y was a hard one to match as it ticked a load of boxes and the Model 3 was a bit small for our requirements.

Would have really liked an X (but not LHD) or maybe a cybertruck (but probably too big) but as they aren’t available here something else was needed.

Still early days. See how things go but initial impressions are good, as one would hope given the cost of the thing.

Reactions: Zilla91
On alternatives, we have recently acquired a bmw ix. Needed an extra car in the house, our existing Model Y was a hard one to match as it ticked a load of boxes and the Model 3 was a bit small for our requirements.

Would have really liked an X (but not LHD) or maybe a cybertruck (but probably too big) but as they aren’t available here something else was needed.

Still early days. See how things go but initial impressions are good, as one would hope given the cost of the thing.

My brother in law has one... I know it's marmite for some but I do like the looks. I dont bother asking him anything about it though as it's a lease and all he is interested is how much it costs the business hence probably couldn't care less what Im on about.

Hope you enjoy it and do give some feedback when you can :)

Reactions: HaggisMan
Somebody near where I live has a lovely looking black Lotus Eletre on their drive so I had a quick Look on Autotrader for pricing of any for sale. Too expensive for me but I was taken aback by how close the design of their centre screen is to the M3 & MY. Not very creative of them. Nice looking stalk tho 😀.

IMG_2065.png

Well, it seems Harry isn't exactly lining up to order an i5 M60 😅

I get that it's not intended to be an electric M5, but BMW seems to have moved awfully far from the "sports cars in sensible clothes" DNA that's kept them competitive for 50 years now...

Yes. BMW keeps half-assing their EVs by using regular platforms and piling on the kind of unnecessary, cost and complexity driving tech that Tesla is expertly removing from theirs. It's logical that BMW tries to maximize profits from their exploding production cost base and battery-limited pipeline, but that is an approach that doesn't address the fundamental problem of making desirable products.

Tesla is moving too fast for the dinosaurs; and half-assing a response like this isn't going to cut it for very long.

Last edited:
Reactions: spdpsba
Tesla is moving too fast for the dinosaurs; and half-assing a response like this isn't going to cut it for very long.
The worrying thing is BMW or other legacy German car makers will not go under as there will be some state support or manipulation of the market to keep them chugging along. The only downside of that strategy is loads of uninformed but who can afford will buy their EVs for the badge. The only way Tesla can make them pay is by getting in more products first in the European market just like what they are doing with the Model 3 Highland. But again they all can co-exist as long as the legacy car makers are not doing this half-assing jobs.

BMW i cars have been getting good reviews from all the other reviewers, does Harry like any EVs? He's a proper petrolhead.
Harry is certainly a petrolhead and has driven every significant car produced for half a century. But blanket stating he hates EVs is too simplistic - he likes good cars and knows enough to identify what makes a great, and poor, car. He didn't necessarily love everything about the Model 3 performance but he gave it a thorough review and frankly he made great points on things that could be improved. Mainly how it despite the superior performance and charging lacks the driving experience engagement.

He barely goes into the EV side of the i5 - his issues are with the gimmicky modes, the lack of interior build quality, the impact of the massive weight (2400kg) on handling and ride. Basically says he can't see how this car is supposed to be worth 115k GBP and shows that dealers are already marking them down below 100.

BMW used to make restrained and technically excellent cars that while expensive were with the price because they were a joy to drive. i5 is none of these.

Last edited:
Harry is certainly a petrolhead and has driven every significant car produced for half a century. But blanket stating he hates EVs is too simplistic - he likes good cars and knows enough to identify what makes a great, and poor, car. He didn't necessarily love everything about the Model 3 performance but he gave it a thorough review and frankly he made great points on things that could be improved. Mainly how it despite the superior performance and charging lacks the driving experience engagement.

He barely goes into the EV side of the i5 - his issues are with the gimmicky modes, the lack of interior build quality, the impact of the massive weight (2400kg) on handling and ride. Basically says he can't see how this car is supposed to be worth 115k GBP and shows that dealers are already marking them down below 100.

BMW used to make restrained and technically excellent cars that while expensive were with the price because they were a joy to drive. i5 is none of these.
I didn't say he hates EVs, I asked if he liked any EVs, has he given a positive review of any EVs, sounds like the Tesla M3P wasn't exactly glowing.

I've seen him wax lyrical about e-fuels which really turned me off his channel, used to watch it religiously as I love the old supercars.

Yes, the price is high, although manufacturers, excepting Tesla, tend to discount and lease costs may be very different. Plenty of new ones around the low £90k on Autotrader now, about the same price as a Model S I think.