Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been very interesting lately in NY Metro
Seeing less non Teslas, less Hyundais, less Kia’s, less Maches and less Lightenings

More model Ys, more model 3s, more model S and more model X

Very happy Tesla owners
Not happy non Tesla owners

Hopefully this year with NACS to CCS adapters available and in use
We will start seeing EV and non Tesla adoption ramping again
Even though us Tesla owners are happy
We need those non Tesla EV adopters to help us eliminate ICEv and be happy
Reduce carbon

I don't think EV's are cheaper to run for most regular folks. If you remove the people that can buy as a company car or salary sacrifice, or soon will have to pay road tax and over £40k car value additional road tax payment. Factor in the expensive cost of public charging, potentially higher insurance and of course the biggest item, the more expensive purchase price upfront (If new). I don't think the average UK member of public without access to tax saving schemes or even worse, at home charging it makes any sense at all. They'll never make back the extra purchase price and hell it might even be costing them more to run on a day to day basis if they cannot home charge as well.

I don't expect this to last and think in the long run EV's will be cheaper than ICE cars once battery costs come down and the simplicity of the car saves a lot of money overall. Just not there yet but getting close I think. Still the bad reputation of public charging will still probably hold people off for a bit longer still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Farquad
For anyone that might think tesla service is bad... My daughter just called for warranty service because the door handle is falling off on her 2021 ioniq with just over 20k miles (common fault)... they gave her a slot for the 28th of February o_O

At least she wasn’t fobbed off with the promise of a future software update to fix the door handle…

I think I would rather that. Not like its a crucial as the door handle now is it?

On that note My sons ioniq is going in on the 10th to resolve the issue with the remote climate through the app which was raised before it went for a service in December but all the dealer did was fob him off to reset the unit, uninstall app and a phone number for bluelink support... what a mess.

Very interested in this - my friend recently bought a petrol GTS macan after previously having a 911 and loves it. When I'm barely getting 180 miles out of M3P @ 70-73mph a change may be on the cards (i know we need to wait and see what the winter figures look like)

Based on what I see I'm TeslaMate on our M3P from the drop from summer to winter, this is probably going to be doing in the 260 mile range when it's a few degrees over 0 if it has similar efficiency as a Tesla. Not bad but similar to many cars on the market at the moment. I'd be careful getting too excited based on ideal condition tests but it is promising none the less.

Efficiency of the alternatives is something I have a real problem and along with SuC is probably the top two things that keep me with the brand. I average 250Wh/m over 3 years and 38,000 miles and there's a high proportion of motorway miles in there.

Other brands just seem to have given up - their answer is 100kW+ batteries to achieve over 300 miles. Bit depressing.

However a lot of this is borne out of the mad obsession with SUVs which obviously predates EVs