Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy who was responsible for the complete **** up that is VWs current hardware and software? Yeah, no thanks.

That happened under his watch, but those are mere details.

What Diess did was to recognize what Tesla was doing (i.e. designing pure EVs from a minimum viable product point of view) and translate that into the VW world.

What killed his tenure was his insolence in proposing the VW should abandon it's elaborate production techniques, multitude of option ranges and vast network of suppliers to rebuild Wolfsburg as a vertically integrated EV building machine. Tesla Shanghai builds a Y in 3 hours - VWs state of the art ID.4 production line takes how long?

Tesla is moving too fast for the incumbents. The cost base of their vehicles is falling rapidly and even now after the latest price cuts, they make 17% gross margin across the range. The incumbents are basically trying to manage the innovators dilemma during a period of falling volumes, falling prices and needing to make major investments to keep up. Because we all know prices are going to keep faling.

Last edited:
Tesla is moving too fast for the incumbents.
You repeating that claim won't make it true. Maybe have another read of this below;

Tesla is moving to fast!? The MY was released 4 years ago and it could be 2 years before we see another new Tesla model. The cybertruck is limited numbers at this point and not a global car in any case, and who knows whats happening with the semi truck thats in a permanent state of beta. Tesla are moving too slow IMO and there should be people driving around in the Tesla compact today, not in 2026.

As for talk of a Model 2, the timing of it makes it seem suspiciously like a stock price pump after yesterday's disappointing results and the stock price continuing to free fall

• Funny
Reactions: KennethS
I agree with the sentiment that Tesla is moving too slowly, at least from the perspective of the consumer. I bought into the brand with a Model 3 in 2019. The Model Y I picked up last month is an improvement in cabin refinement and build quality (to some degree - I never had any problems with my 3), but the car is very, very similar in most regards (aside of course from being a slightly bigger form factor). All the essentials are essentially the same - infotainment, battery, drivetrain, running gear, interior quality, ... Meanwhile, the refreshed S and X (where you can buy them) are still fundamentally the same cars as their predecessors. On top of that, the Cybertruck is really a bit of an irrelevance so far as Europe/UK is concerned, and the Roadster 2 is still nowhere to be seen.

The only real progress is Highland, but let's face it, it's a mild refresh - an LCI as the legacy companies would call it. Where is the smaller hatchback that many markets around the world thrive on? Where is the globally-available large exec car? Or the large SUV? And why is AP seemingly going backward with each new release? Why are we still whinging about wipers, matrix headlights, parking sensors, stalks etc?

Given Tesla's market valuation and the reputedly large margin their products enjoy, why aren't we seeing more new models? Where exactly are Tesla's profits going? Is it all going into US-only FSD? I get that their vertically-integrated production is genuinely ground-breaking and that they are excellent in driving production costs down, but as a consumer, what does that mean for me?

Now don't get me wrong, I still really love my Tesla and I still don't think there is a better EV available once the complete package is taken into account. But I can definitely foresee a time, probably fairly soon, where that will no longer be the case. All it takes is for the public charging infrastructure to be fit for purpose, and for the tech (connectivity, back-end, software dev and OTA) from one of the competitors to catch up. These two things are the only impediments for me to looking at other brands.

That happened under his watch, but those are mere details.

What Diess did was to recognize what Tesla was doing (i.e. designing pure EVs from a minimum viable product point of view) and translate that into the VW world.

What killed his tenure was his insolence in proposing the VW should abandon it's elaborate production techniques, multitude of option ranges and vast network of suppliers to rebuild Wolfsburg as a vertically integrated EV building machine. Tesla Shanghai builds a Y in 3 hours - VWs state of the art ID.4 production line takes how long?

Tesla is moving too fast for the incumbents. The cost base of their vehicles is falling rapidly and even now after the latest price cuts, they make 17% gross margin across the range. The incumbents are basically trying to manage the innovators dilemma during a period of falling volumes, falling prices and needing to make major investments to keep up. Because we all know prices are going to keep faling.
Productivity isn't measure in time, its measured in time + at least one other metric

For example, if I want a new patio built in my garden, and builder A can do it in 1 week and builder B can do it in 2 weeks, is builder A more productive? Its impossible to know without further detail.

If builder A has a 6 person squad and builder B has a 2 person squad, that means that builder A is faster but builder B has better productivity.

We know that Tesla is faster, but nobody really knows if they are more productive. A year or so ago I had a look at factory headcounts in Zwickau plant (VW) and compared with Giga Shanghai (Tesla) and when you look at factory output in terms of annual cars per employee, they were broadly the same. Thats closer to a proper KPI as you have some sort of context into hours worked versus output. Tesla probably cheaper overall as I would assume that payroll is much cheaper in China, but then import duty eats into that. I didn't bother trying do compare Berlin with Zwickau as the data is all a bit cloak and dagger, shrouded in secrecy.

The overall conclusion is that nobody has access to commercially sensitive data from Tesla and VW that would enable us to truly compare productivity so its flogging a dead horse really, but thats as close as I could get, using data available to the public, ie, overall headcounts and factory output of cars per annum.

I don't want to be rude, but its quite surprising in Tesla discussions the amount of people that think time is a productivity measure. It just isn't. All we're talking about is the time it takes for a car to go from one end of the production line to the other. Payroll efficiency is determined by the amount of labour used during that journey. So if a Tesla car goes down the line 3 times faster that a VW, but Tesla have 3 x more personnel on the line, then the net result of labour usage is the same. Nobody has access to this commercially sensitive data, so when it came to looking at Tesla as an investment opportunity, to the best of my knowledge and research, I just couldn't find that much fabled Tesla efficiency - they were just par for the course from the data I had available.

Tesla 'should' be more efficient due to the lower construction complexity but when we look at COGS reduction each quarter, its mostly driven by commodity pricing with little bits of efficiency improvement here and there, but small amounts overall. From a very crude analysis, I just wonder where the 'waste' exists and whether the lower complexity savings is wasted by QC at end of line, fixing manufacturing defects. I mean, I've no idea if its true, I just can't reconcile why Tesla has such a high factory headcount considering the lack of complexity involved in the production process.

Reactions: ACarneiro
For example, if I want a new patio built in my garden, and builder A can do it in 1 week and builder B can do it in 2 weeks, is builder A more productive? Its impossible to know without further detail.

If builder A has a 6 person squad and builder B has a 2 person squad, that means that builder A is faster but builder B has better productivity.

Would it be fair to say that builder A has 2 overheads to many but can also build two patios in two weeks?

Reactions: 2020M3SR
Would it be fair to say that builder A has 2 overheads to many but can also build two patios in two weeks?
Absolutely. We're then into other discussion around overall assets, sweating the assets if you like. Machinery and vehicles are getting double utilisation compared to the other builder, who isn't getting as good a return on his assets, but getting a better return on labour utilisation. Patio built with 4 people versus 6 but poor asset utilisation. We would need to know cost of depreciation on those assets.

Reactions: Js1977
So I've done as best a job I could at VW Zwickau versus Tesla Berlin

Berlin headcount is 11,500 with 375,000 cars per annum output, which is 32.6 cars per employee per year

VW Zwickau headcount is 10,700 with 360,000 cars per annum output, which is 33.6 cars per employee per year

Now, if I was to present this to my boss as a conclusion that VW is marginally more productive at building cars than Tesla, he would laugh at me. Not enough data. Eg, how many are in production, how many are in management, how many are in product, how many are in procurement etc etc

We absolutely can't draw conclusions from this data as its too high level/vague/ball park. But I think what we can conclude, is that any argument to say that Tesla is hugely more efficient than VW at building EV's is an argument that doesn't stand up right now. Where is the evidence??

Considering Berlin just outputs 1 vehicle and Zwickau outputs multiple vehicle across multiple different brands (VW/Skoda/Audi/Cupra) with bespoke build to order specification, I repeat what I said in a previous post: With Teslas incredibly simplified cookie cutter production methods, where are all the labour savings that this should save? I can't see them.

When I do basic analysis like this, it makes me wonder where is all the labour spent. I'm guessing end of line quality control and that their production method yields must be relatively poor, but thats just a guess. I really can't figure out where the labour goes.

Links to where I got the data in case anyone says I'm talking BS - all sources are between Sept/Oct 2023:

Zwickau headcount as of Sept 2023: VW begins downsizing staff in Zwickau | electrive.com

Zwickau capacity as of Sept 2023: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/volkswagen-terminates-three-shift-production-agreement-zwickau-plant-2023-09-27/#:~:text=Earlier this month, the carmaker,with capacity of around 360,000.

Berlin capacity as of October 2023: Tesla's Annual Vehicle Capacity Increased To Over 2.3 Million.

Berlin headcount as of October 2023: Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg - Wikipedia.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Absolutely. We're then into other discussion around overall assets, sweating the assets if you like. Machinery and vehicles are getting double utilisation compared to the other builder, who isn't getting as good a return on his assets, but getting a better return on labour utilisation. Patio built with 4 people versus 6 but poor asset utilisation. We would need to know cost of depreciation on those assets.

Yes there are certainly variables to be considered. However, all things being equal, wages, equipment etc. Builder A still makes double the profit in two whilst the expenses ratio remains constant hence more exponential growth.

All that aside and being we are talking Tesla vs others here My question would be if you were to liquidate all companies right now, who would come on top or going forward, how many cars does X company has to make to match Y's company profit margin per vehicles sold (not manufactured).

Yes there are certainly variables to be considered. However, all things being equal, wages, equipment etc. Builder A still makes double the profit in two whilst the expenses ratio remains constant hence more exponential growth.

All that aside and being we are talking Tesla vs others here My question would be if you were to liquidate all companies right now, who would come on top or going forward, how many cars does X company has to make to match Y's company profit margin per vehicles sold (not manufactured).
While I was highlighting builder B being more productive, you're right, builder A will be more profitable due to overall revenue being double, 52 patios per year versus 26. Builder B has the bigger profit margin due to better efficiency, Builder A has more profit overall due to volume. We assume infinite demand for patios, but if it gets competitive, builder B can offer a cheaper price to put builder A out of the market. Even in this very basic example can very quickly grow arms and legs in terms of business case and which builder has the best set up. You can debate the strengths and weaknesses of each business case and which has the foundation for future success. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

My question to Tesla is around their manufacturing model. On Tesla earnings call last night Elon mentioned the 3 brutal years of ramping up the model 3. They got their in the end, it wasn't easy, but they did it. Last year the M3 sales were approx. 500k cars. 1.2m MY. Is the M3 getting a little long in the tooth now? They went to huge effort over 3 years to get the construction method right but now sales are faltering? When does MY demand taper off and then, decline? Everyone is wondering about the CyberTruck and the new M2 car but nobody is asking about the new M3 or the next MY. Mild refreshes are historically there to maintain sales, rather than grow sales.

They can't keep flogging the existing M3 and MY for years to come, they'll be too stale so what is the plan? Tesla go to great expense in their cookie cutter manufacturing model, giga casting but the downside of that is the ability to create brand new models. How has this machinery been depreciated on their balance sheet? If they need to create brand new manufacturing facilities every 7 to 10 years for model refreshes, what's the capex for this?

Someone has already mentioned BMW Neue Klasse platform. There will be 6 different BMWs from this investment initially, with potential for more. Tesla approach is the polar opposite, quote:

The iX3 SUV (code-named NA5) is due in late 2025. It will be built at BMW's new factory in Hungary. An extended iX3 version (NA6) will be built in China.

In 2026, BMW will start production of a 3 Series-sized sedan (code-named NA0) at its Munich plant. Later, production will launch in Mexico and China.

A coupe-styled sedan called the iX4 (code-named NA7) is also expected in 2026, and a station wagon variant is due in 2027.

The sixth model is a compact SUV (code-named NB5), which is expected to replace the iX1.

With the arrival of the Neue Klasse, BMW is expected to introduce a new nomenclature to avoid confusing customers during the transition to the electric age.

The 3 Series-sized electric sedan would be designated as the i320 or i330 depending on the specification, while the 3-Series combustion engine cars would be designated as the 320 and 330, dropping the "i" for gasoline versions and "d" for diesel versions.

So when we consider that the discussion arrived from the 'Legacy is too slow and Tesla is fast' statement, I just can't agree. My worry is that we should already have the M2 by now and that the new M3 and MY should already be in the pipeline. Tesla doesn't even seem to have that on their radar, let alone have even the back of a napkin start of a plan. Thats a worry.

My belief is that Tesla hit the sweetspot on price and brand value 2 years ago but the salivating investors were hungry for more and they've become a victim of their lofty share price and their attempts to grow into it. They've cheapened the brand via price cuts, less brand appeal/exclusivity and all the extra YOY sales in 2023 hasn't actually earned them any more profits. Effectively, yhey've traded their brand value for volume but failed to get the extra profit and that looks like a mistake IMO. You can't get that brand value back very easily now so was the extra volume worth it? I'm not convinced it was.

Lets say they create the M2 and sell 1m per year at 10% profit, thats $2.5B profit per annum. Industry standard ex growth would probably price that at x8 for future value, so the M2 adds $20B to the value of Tesla. $20B is the value of that car to Tesla, and people talk about $1T valuation. The numbers just don't stack up.

2m cars a year for existing line up at $100B revenue and say 10% margin, $10B profit x 8 is $80b valuation, add the M2 and Tesla is worth $100B selling 3m cars a year. And what happens when Govts start removing subsidies, thats a huge headwind incoming.

Sorry for the long post but I know there will be a number of Tesla investors within the forum, and maybe they haven't seen the data presented to them in this way, but its important to consider. The EV market will be expanding though, so thats an opportunity for Tesla but its by no means a free pass for eternal growth. The 2023 growth came at a pretty brutal cost, namely overall profit, profit margins and a reduction in overall brand value.

Reactions: Momonga
@2020M3SR I did swiftly go through your post and Im sure things make sense to you and some to me up to the point of speculation.

Going back to the builders and all things equal Its fair to say that someone will be able to retire much earlier...

As for your analytics, there is a fir bit of speculation of things that do not yet exist but it true to say that some manufacturers will not make it out of the black hole which is debt... Have a play with this ... Publicly traded automakers with the highest total debt

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment that Tesla is moving too slowly, at least from the perspective of the consumer. I bought into the brand with a Model 3 in 2019. The Model Y I picked up last month is an improvement in cabin refinement and build quality (to some degree - I never had any problems with my 3), but the car is very, very similar in most regards (aside of course from being a slightly bigger form factor). All the essentials are essentially the same - infotainment, battery, drivetrain, running gear, interior quality, ... Meanwhile, the refreshed S and X (where you can buy them) are still fundamentally the same cars as their predecessors. On top of that, the Cybertruck is really a bit of an irrelevance so far as Europe/UK is concerned, and the Roadster 2 is still nowhere to be seen.

The only real progress is Highland, but let's face it, it's a mild refresh - an LCI as the legacy companies would call it. Where is the smaller hatchback that many markets around the world thrive on? Where is the globally-available large exec car? Or the large SUV? And why is AP seemingly going backward with each new release? Why are we still whinging about wipers, matrix headlights, parking sensors, stalks etc?

Given Tesla's market valuation and the reputedly large margin their products enjoy, why aren't we seeing more new models? Where exactly are Tesla's profits going? Is it all going into US-only FSD? I get that their vertically-integrated production is genuinely ground-breaking and that they are excellent in driving production costs down, but as a consumer, what does that mean for me?

Now don't get me wrong, I still really love my Tesla and I still don't think there is a better EV available once the complete package is taken into account. But I can definitely foresee a time, probably fairly soon, where that will no longer be the case. All it takes is for the public charging infrastructure to be fit for purpose, and for the tech (connectivity, back-end, software dev and OTA) from one of the competitors to catch up. These two things are the only impediments for me to looking at other brands.
I think you are apply legacy-auto logic to Tesla, what are you defining as progress ? Other companies will take an existing model and make relatively small bodyshell changes, update the software, and call it an entirely new model. Take the Fiesta being retired for Puma to take over, it's the same car underneath.

Tesla's software is largely evergreen, i.e. deployed backwards onto your previous car so the new ones have relatively few other differences. Of course the software is significantly changed compared to what you started with in 2019. Would you prefer not to have upgrades and have all the 'new' only when you replaced the car.

I went from a 2019 Model 3 to a 2022 Model 3, and I can assure you that the efficiency has taken huge steps forward, average power used to be consistently 289wh/mile in the old, now it's 255 wh/mile, a 13.3% improvement. Add also that with the new heat pump the range degradation in winter is lower as well. Perhaps you aren't seeing this as you've moved up to the heavier Model Y rathe than like for like comparison.

To call the new S and X the same as the previous is very extreme, they have completely new interior, new media computer, new battery, new motors, different charging. Other than the shape they are completely different.

So really what you are saying is that Tesla should change the shapes of these cars every few years, and just like other manufacturers this trend is generally to make them larger, heavier and more crossover nonsense, no thanks.

Macan EV revealed. The Model Y is on borrowed time, question is do I get rid of the M3, go down to one and get the Turbo or just get the 4s to replace the MYLR

Honestly, if I can persuade the wife and get my pay increase I was promised. I'm ordering a Macan. I've already had a call from the local dealer who said they will have them in the showroom in June and deliveries are Q4. I'm on the list for a test drive.

Yes they are more money than the Y, but the quality of them will be a lot better. I was looking at a Y recently until I get a stupid trade in value for my M3. It put me right off and now reconsidering getting another Tesla because of it.

My question to Tesla is around their manufacturing model. On Tesla earnings call last night Elon mentioned the 3 brutal years of ramping up the model 3. They got their in the end, it wasn't easy, but they did it. Last year the M3 sales were approx. 500k cars. 1.2m MY. Is the M3 getting a little long in the tooth now? They went to huge effort over 3 years to get the construction method right but now sales are faltering? When does MY demand taper off and then, decline? Everyone is wondering about the CyberTruck and the new M2 car but nobody is asking about the new M3 or the next MY. Mild refreshes are historically there to maintain sales, rather than grow sales.

They can't keep flogging the existing M3 and MY for years to come, they'll be too stale so what is the plan? Tesla go to great expense in their cookie cutter manufacturing model, giga casting but the downside of that is the ability to create brand new models. How has this machinery been depreciated on their balance sheet? If they need to create brand new manufacturing facilities every 7 to 10 years for model refreshes, what's the capex for this?
You have a good point on refresh. The highland came out and I have no interest at all in upgrading.....or more, that I can't because I'm in negative equity on my 2 year M3 because of depreciation. Worse I've seen in all new cars I've bought.......small refresh wont cut it in the long run.

Reactions: Zilla91
Honestly, if I can persuade the wife and get my pay increase I was promised. I'm ordering a Macan. I've already had a call from the local dealer who said they will have them in the showroom in June and deliveries are Q4. I'm on the list for a test drive.

Yes they are more money than the Y, but the quality of them will be a lot better. I was looking at a Y recently until I get a stupid trade in value for my M3. It put me right off and now reconsidering getting another Tesla because of it.

You have a good point on refresh. The highland came out and I have no interest at all in upgrading.....or more, that I can't because I'm in negative equity on my 2 year M3 because of depreciation. Worse I've seen in all new cars I've bought.......small refresh wont cut it in the long run.
Is the trade in price of other electric cars such as the Porsche, better ?

Reactions: Exy1 and Doudeau