Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're now entering a world where the designs are being pushed harder to stay competitive and you don't over engineer for the sake of it. You don't make a lighter car without trimming excess weight where you can. You might charge faster because you think you can manage the heat. So it's entirely possible that EV's are being pushed to the point where they end up with a similar life expectancy as ICE because basically, anything more ultimately costs the manufacturer and the buyers of new cars don't appreciate the value.

We're now entering a world where the designs are being pushed harder to stay competitive and you don't over engineer for the sake of it. You don't make a lighter car without trimming excess weight where you can. You might charge faster because you think you can manage the heat. So it's entirely possible that EV's are being pushed to the point where they end up with a similar life expectancy as ICE because basically, anything more ultimately costs the manufacturer and the buyers of new cars don't appreciate the value.
Yes, but specifically because Chinese EV adoption now takes the lead over Western "automotive quality".

In an alternative reality, I’d have an electric McLaren 720s powered by He-3 fusion powered cheap electricity. Perhaps that’s actually the future.🤞

IMG_7074.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
As the Model X is only available in LHD is that even a valid comparison?

I’d say Tesla only really have 3 & Y as viable options in UK now.
Agreed, we only have two visible Tesla models. We surely won't get the Cybertruck so just 2 out of 5 of their models.

I do wonder if on next refresh of the Model S / X they don't make the mistakes they did this time which blocked RHD. On the other hand they ship so few, will they even bother to update them much anymore.

I'm sure when Sandy looked at a Model Y originally, it was designed to take air suspension as well. They could potentially bring that to the Y on a slightly more upscale edition if they ever want.

Agreed, we only have two visible Tesla models. We surely won't get the Cybertruck so just 2 out of 5 of their models.

This is true but then again you could still compare. There are still fairly new X and S's on the used market representing very good value against some of the new stuff coming out from other brands and it's not like they have fallen behind in thecnology and performance in comparison..... Dont we like good value for money anymore and at this point in time and do we really need to keep buying new and the moan about depreciation?... where is the flip side of the coin 🤷‍♂️

The newer ones did move the game forwards somewhat

I get what you are saying as well and understand that you only want to buy new but some people here are happy to moan about depreciation and not look at the flip side of the coin. What Im saying is with discounts in the tens of thousands of with some of these cars and they are still better in comparison with some of the new stuff, it still has to weigh some thought.

I get what you are saying as well and understand that you only want to buy new but some people here are happy to moan about depreciation and not look at the flip side of the coin. What Im saying is with discounts in the tens of thousands of with some of these cars and they are still better in comparison with some of the new stuff, it still has to weigh some thought.
Yes it’s not financially sensible to buy a new car. To me it’s just the experience. It’s not financially sensible to go on expensive holidays yet most do it, it’s about the memories and experience.

Getting a new car is about the only thing that can excite me like when I was a little kid. I’m guessing most here at least like their cars because they are on a car forum making posts, not on a train spotting forum 😉

Reactions: Js1977
There are also many folk in the UK acquiring cars via various work-based schemes. Second hand isn’t an option for them.

I’ve seen a couple of EV9s on the road. Look decent. Not a model x though 😢
Had a look around one. Not too bad. What gets me is you can get higher specifications in other countries but they've decided not to offer some of the higher end features in the UK.