Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I can use the free iphone app, I think I'll pay the $3/month for the convenience of being able to use it in both of my cars (assuming my legacy S eventually gets the feature?), and I have more than 3 devices that use myQ (gates, a couple garages, MIL's house, etc), so the homelink capacity of 3 devices is a hassle. Since it will also do geofencing, it may be convenient. It will be annoying if it does the same thing that my phone app does, in that it flashes the garage door lights and beeps a bunch before it closes..
I'm pretty sure it will beep. I think it does that whenever the myq hub receives an API call to close the door. Hopefully it doesn't, but I wouldnt hold my breath

I think it's a safety requirement that is required when you aren't in visual range, which is why garage doors don't have to beep when you use homelink/remote because of the limited RF range.

I just updated the new Tesla 2022.44.25.1. The myQ works great: it will automatically open when you approach; and close when you leave. You can set up how far away you want it to do open/close. No delay or hesitation, works great.

The only thing you need to know is: when you step into the car, Tesla need time to connect internet, during that time (~10 second) your myQ will not work.

Reactions: exxxviii
Even though I can use the free iphone app, I think I'll pay the $3/month for the convenience of being able to use it in both of my cars (assuming my legacy S eventually gets the feature?), and I have more than 3 devices that use myQ (gates, a couple garages, MIL's house, etc), so the homelink capacity of 3 devices is a hassle. Since it will also do geofencing, it may be convenient. It will be annoying if it does the same thing that my phone app does, in that it flashes the garage door lights and beeps a bunch before it closes..
I'm in the same boat (homelink already full). I'm considering paying the fee as well. I'll be using the 30 day trial to see how well it functions. If it closes immediately, like using a regular door opener, that will be a huge bonus.

I just updated the new Tesla 2022.44.25.1. The myQ works great: it will automatically open when you approach; and close when you leave. You can set up how far away you want it to do open/close. No delay or hesitation, works great.

The only thing you need to know is: when you step into the car, Tesla need time to connect internet, during that time (~10 second) your myQ will not work.
So are you saying when it closes, the myq will not flash/beep for 10 seconds first?

I'm in the same boat (homelink already full). I'm considering paying the fee as well. I'll be using the 30 day trial to see how well it functions. If it closes immediately, like using a regular door opener, that will be a huge bonus.
The one caveat for me is that it also work on my October 2018 (legacy) Model S. It does have HW3, so I'll just have to wait and see if they havent totally abandoned us "legacy" guys..

Just so we're clear. This is all so you don't have to press the button on your garage door remote on your visor?

I have two myQ openers, but I'm struggling to think why I should pay for this service.
I have a total of 11 doors/gates that can be utilized with this service on two cars, so for me its completely worth it. Otherwise I'm digging my phone out of my pocket, waiting for the app to load, scrolling through all the opener choices, etc. For the multi-year plan, its cheaper than homelink for one car, not to mention two of them!

Reactions: Noflash
So, my question is how this MyQ integration impacts for those who have Tesla garage opener and also MyQ setup at the same time? Also, I have both as well as MyQ app (that doesn't require subscription fee) that I can control my garage doors, and I am wondering how those three systems work without interfering with each other>

Funny watching guys who just paid $60K or more for a car cry about $3/month. Same guys will spend $1K/year on a new iPhone. Go mow a lawn. If you don’t want to spend the money then don’t and move on. This is a convenience purchase, which is never about the financial payback.
You spend the $60k+ because you think you're getting something for your money. The subscription is a crap value proposition for the customer. Not only that, the value will only decrease when they increase prices in a few years.

I'd rather give that money to a charity or foundation before giving a company money for almost nothing. I use a $20 Tuya compatible garage door opener that uses Alexa/Siri/Google voice commands, and geofencing with no subscription fee.

It's a weird new concept called "earning my business".

Just so we're clear. This is all so you don't have to press the button on your garage door remote on your visor?

I have two myQ openers, but I'm struggling to think why I should pay for this service.
1 big advantage is that you can tell if your garage door is open or closed from anywhere. (Ie - you are at the store and don’t remember if you closed the garage door)

Of course, if you have the myQ app, you can open the app and know the same thing. The app is free.

So I guess you can ditch the opener for a fee. My Tesla model 3 came with the home link built in, RIP

Reactions: Noflash
I have a tesla and open my garage with the MyQ app for free...now all this is free, why would I want to pay $200 or so????????????
$45 a year. They can pound sand.
I am in the total opposite camp. I am pondering replacing my perfectly fine garage door opener with a new Chamberlain smart GDO with a camera so I can have the priviledge of spending $3/month on the myQ subscription. I want the maximum automated, integrated technology experience!

As a regular MyQ users, I can report that MyQ has many limitations, such as App glitches, reporting delays, slow operation, etc. It will be much better just to buy the Tesla garage opener as far as the user experience and value go.

I've had MyQ for about 5 years now. The garage door reporting isn't always accurate. Sometimes it says its up and sometimes, it doesn't register when it goes down. I actually added a garage cam facing the garage door for redundancy.

honestly, just using the app is very easy and not worth the sub fee. I even have a small garage door opener i keep in my glove box if the wifi goes out 😁