Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and their free unlimited supercharging teases.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't really taken any long drives with my X but in day to day use I much prefer charging at home and have yet to use a supercharger. Do most people use a supercharger weekly or even more often if they are staying within a charge distance from home?

I think Tesla should implement a rule that superchargers within 50 miles of your house are subject to charge even for those with free supercharging. While most people value their time and would charge at home, there seems to be a contingent of people that just want to take advantage of the free juice. I'm curious how large that population is though.

For those that live in places where they cannot charge at home, I am impressed by the dedication to wait and sit at superchargers each time, but supercharger use needs to be limited to road trips in the long term otherwise the system will get overburdened. Just my 2 cents.

I should have kept a copy of the text that said I have free supercharging on any model S or X purchased in the future for life! I knew when I first saw it that it was likely to be short lived.

You mean this one?

IMG_0015.jpg

.......snip...... supercharger use needs to be limited to road trips in the long term otherwise the system will get overburdened. Just my 2 cents.
"WILL get overburdened? sounds like someone never tried to use Burbank SC's at 5 p.m.
I hear people keep complaining they see the same local folks using it as their own camp ground .... leaving the area for a 90-minute dinner when they barely need a 25 minute charge.

"WILL get overburdened? sounds like someone never tried to use Burbank SC's at 5 p.m.
I hear people keep complaining they see the same local folks using it as their own camp ground .... leaving the area for a 90-minute dinner when they barely need a 25 minute charge.

Well, if they see the same local, abusive people so often, and know these abusers only need a 25 min charge while having a 90 min dinner, how are the camping accusers any different than the camping abusers? o_O

Well, if they see the same local, abusive people so often, and know these abusers only need a 25 min charge while having a 90 min dinner, how are the camping accusers any different than the camping abusers? o_O
Accusing the accusers, eh?
:p
No ... it's not that others in line are hypocritical abusers ... Burbank SC's (and its wait line) are right along side the service dept. It's the good folks in service who'll drop the dime on the abusers. One jokingly said that he's got their entire wardrobe memorized - seeing some of them so frequently. We've only been there once - in our 2 years of ownership ... never again.

Accusing the accusers, eh?
:p
No ... it's not that others in line are hypocritical abusers ... Burbank SC's (and its wait line) are right along side the service dept. It's the good folks in service who'll drop the dime on the abusers. One jokingly said that he's got their entire wardrobe memorized - seeing some of them so frequently. We've only been there once - in our 2 years of ownership ... never again.

Ahh........
I've never been to the Burbank SC. Thx for clarity.

Ouch - Maybe Tesla needs some surge pricing too. 10x the idle fees when it is full.

I like the surge pricing idea but better yet..........just 10x the idle fees all the time.

And on a contrary note, not sure how effective this will be. I am of the belief that there really are no idle fees, just empty threats. Has anyone ever actually been charged an idle fee?

well...i tried to be the annoying dude last night and stayed 15-20 beyond my full charge state and never even got a notification or anything.

that being said, i was 1 of 2 at an 8-stall supercharger...we would need somebody in California at a full charger to try to see if they incur idle fees.

trying to find a silver lining in this Dark Cloud, consider how when the super chargers get warn & Throttle Down to maybe only 40 KW, no matter how long your dinner takes, when you get back you'll still be waiting. So no overage fee and no one can get angry
o_O