Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and their free unlimited supercharging teases.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooooooo, did we miss a personal notification from Tesla to all of its valued owners explaing the change? Or was this only leaked to Elektrek? I did get an email from Tesla today touting their new AP release, but that was it.

On my Tesla when I checked:

upload_2017-6-16_15-4-49.png

Here's the old wording. I saved it since I saw this coming...

free_sc.png

So they have added the words "purchased before December 31, 2017."

In order to have a binding, enforceable contract you need offer, acceptance and consideration. We only have the first two since there was no consideration and thus it's not enforceable.

But no need to worry. After they coax people to buy these vehicle before Dec. 31 or lose free supercharging, they will bring it back again. Why pay for advertising when you can play these disingenuous games?

This is a terrible move by Tesla imo; I just took delivery June 10 of a Model S. (Not complaining, as this car does have FUSC). Even though I love this car and couldn't be happier, the idea I would buy again before the end of the year is a little disconcerting. Before this, I had planned on trading in sometime around 3 years of ownership to "upgrade", but now looks like I'm going to go at least the full 8 years or until the wheels fall off and I would imagine by then the EV options will double. Doesn't give much incentive for product loyalty when they are doing their terms of service like an 8 year olds lemonade stand.

I see nothing wrong with this move by Tesla. Before, they offered no information on how long this policy would remain in effect. Now they have set an end date for the policy. It only affects new car purchases after the end of the year, so everyone has another 6 months to get comfortable with it.

I think this is actually pretty common. Company starts promotion. It goes on for awhile. At some point company says "come get it soon, promotion ends on 12/31/2017!" or some such thing.

Before, they offered no information on how long this policy would remain in effect.

Which before?
June 12, 2017 when they said current owners could get free supercharging on this and all future cars?
Dec 12, 2016 when they said free supercharging was permanently removed at the end of 2016?

Or the future June 12, 2018 when they reintroduce free supercharging to boost X and S sales?

Which before?
June 12, 2017 when they said current owners could get free supercharging on this and all future cars?
Dec 12, 2016 when they said free supercharging was permanently removed at the end of 2016?

Or the future June 12, 2018 when they reintroduce free supercharging to boost X and S sales?

I understand. You never quite know when the McRib will come or go. Just get it while you can.

Yes. I get it. Except the McRib promotions are a lot more transparent than the Tesla stuff. Really I knew better already. I guess I am tired of people claiming Tesla to be different than McDonalds or GM - but in the end that seems to be the bar they are held too.

I ordered my Model S with a referral code that was used more than 5 times. I didn't realize there was a difference. I got a $1,000 off and free unlimited supercharging. But unlike other referral codes my unlimited supercharging isn't transferable to the next owner. Whether this costs me $500 or $2000 when I sell the car I am not sure - but it is going to cost me something.

I guess I am a combination of unlucky and stupid. You can be the judge.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
I ordered my Model S with a referral code that was used more than 5 times. I didn't realize there was a difference. I got a $1,000 off and free unlimited supercharging. But unlike other referral codes my unlimited supercharging isn't transferable to the next owner. Whether this costs me $500 or $2000 when I sell the car I am not sure - but it is going to cost me something.

Q2J.....if you have not yet taken delivery, ask your DS to replace the referral code. Your referral source should have informed you in advance that the code usage had been maxed out. Both your DS and referrer should support your request.

I see nothing wrong with this move by Tesla. Before, they offered no information on how long this policy would remain in effect. Now they have set an end date for the policy. It only affects new car purchases after the end of the year, so everyone has another 6 months to get comfortable with it.

I think this is actually pretty common. Company starts promotion. It goes on for awhile. At some point company says "come get it soon, promotion ends on 12/31/2017!" or some such thing.

That's the thing, though, Tesla sold cars during this near-month that the wording was out there and thus made a commitment towards owners. People made order and purchase decisions based on that information. It is not simply a campaign that stopped being available somewhere, it was a commitment made to existing owners/referral buyers that has affected their purchase and ownership decisions.

If you offer, say, a lifetime warranty to a customer, the only way to walk back on that in many jurisdictions is basically to bankrupt the company - because it is not a new campaign for that customer, it is a commitment made towards them and one can't walk away from that (unless bankruptcy or similar voids it). You can change it for new customers, but not for old ones.

The ability to transfer lifetime supercharging to the next owner when selling your car is ONLY available to those who ordered prior to the January deadline. It doesn't matter which referral code you use right now, whether it has <5 or 5+ referrals already made - there's no way to get lifetime supercharging that is good for the life of the vehicle at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and bonnie
When did you order your car?

Their many modes of free supercharging are confusing, but the evidence we've seen doesn't fit your comments as TJtv already pointed out in post #35.

Ordered before January 15th - that car got free supercharging and it was transferable.

Ordered after January 15th, but before the new program started in mid-May - free supercharging, not transferable. Those cars were not originally supposed to get free supercharging, but they changed their mind and gave it to them retroactively - all of them, regardless of referral, no limits. But these cars did not get transferable supercharging - that form of free supercharging did end in January.

Ordered after the new program started in mid-May - only 5 more cars per referral code could get free supercharging, and it won't be transferable. Referrals given out before that program started didn't count against the 5 because those cars were already given free supercharging anyway as mentioned above.

• Informative
Reactions: Quick2Judge
Yes. I get it. Except the McRib promotions are a lot more transparent than the Tesla stuff. Really I knew better already. I guess I am tired of people claiming Tesla to be different than McDonalds or GM - but in the end that seems to be the bar they are held too.

I guess I am a combination of unlucky and stupid. You can be the judge.
My understanding is that if a code is "maxed out", you do not get anything. No $1,000 or free supercharging. You have to use someone else's code to get it. Someone please correct me if wrong.