Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Announced 100kWh will be the largest battery for X and S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are willing to stop every 2 hours of driving under some circumstances. And there are a number of superchargers that are ~10 minutes off a highway. So some of these "5 minute" charging stops could be 20-25 minutes...
we are seeing VW is going invest 2 billion dollars on electric cars with infrastructure for chargers too that will be likely compatible with tesla charging. add on the GM and other third party chargers out there, we will soon hopefully by 2-3 years have a more blanketed charger system that is similar to gas stations every 20-30 miles. there should be an alliance for this stuff. cant wait to see the future soon.

we are seeing VW is going invest 2 billion dollars on electric cars with infrastructure for chargers too that will be likely compatible with tesla charging. add on the GM and other third party chargers out there, we will soon hopefully by 2-3 years have a more blanketed charger system that is similar to gas stations every 20-30 miles. there should be an alliance for this stuff. cant wait to see the future soon.
How does having more stations prevent you from having to stop every two hours if you don't have range under many circumstances?

Hey @Dr Doom, I have a really good investment opportunity for you in Florida real estate...

If it wasn't for Tesla, all ICE manufacturers would be dragging their heals more so than they are today. They've been talking about this stuff for a long time, with no action. There is no way they are going to build out a charging network anywhere near as quickly as Tesla (which is too slow for me here in Canada).

When you have multiple corporations trying to get along and organize a plan, progress is extremely slow and at high risk of failure. If you add any government as a 3rd player, you might as well forget it. I may be jaded, but I'm not holding my breath for any of this to actually get built out.

How does having more stations prevent you from having to stop every two hours if you don't have range under many circumstances?

it's still not going to change the fact you'll have to drive and stop every 2 hours but how often are you driving 300+ miles? also the new superchargers will be much more efficient and quicker so charging won't be as long.

I like that Tesla has added in their most recent update, ways to see how many open chargers there are at each supercharger. hopefully they get a reservation system too.

Reactions: vandacca
Hey @Dr Doom, I have a really good investment opportunity for you in Florida real estate...

If it wasn't for Tesla, all ICE manufacturers would be dragging their heals more so than they are today. They've been talking about this stuff for a long time, with no action. There is no way they are going to build out a charging network anywhere near as quickly as Tesla (which is too slow for me here in Canada).

When you have multiple corporations trying to get along and organize a plan, progress is extremely slow and at high risk of failure. If you add any government as a 3rd player, you might as well forget it. I may be jaded, but I'm not holding my breath for any of this to actually get built out.

i am not banking on the government to do it. nor am i naive to think this is going to happen. i think there will be self interest and also business need for corporations to do it- with the 370,000 plus model 3 owners and new bolt owners get their cars and add on the already couple hundred thousands tesla/volt/leaf owners, demand for chargers will drive a business need. 3rd party chargers will be able to turn a profit operating chargers like a gas station. also electric cars are becoming mainstream. the number one selling luxury car is a tesla model s. there is going to be a more widespread adoption when pricing becomes more affordable.

i am not banking on the government to do it. nor am i naive to think this is going to happen. i think there will be self interest and also business need for corporations to do it- with the 370,000 plus model 3 owners and new bolt owners get their cars and add on the already couple hundred thousands tesla/volt/leaf owners, demand for chargers will drive a business need. 3rd party chargers will be able to turn a profit operating chargers like a gas station. also electric cars are becoming mainstream. the number one selling luxury car is a tesla model s. there is going to be a more widespread adoption when pricing becomes more affordable.
Unfortunately, 370,000 model-3 reservations is insignificant to most ICE manufacturers. They're not going to jump on a market so small when they're selling very lucrative ICE models in the millions.

I agree with you that when the financial incentive is there, the other manufacturers will jump on board. But unless someone (ie Telsa) does all the initial leg-work and investment to show that this is a profitable industry, it would never happen.

Until then, you can bet that ICE manufactures are not going to undermine their existing lucrative market.

I agree there is the new cell coming that will definitely result in a new battery at some point with more optimal features. Whether or not the kWh might change, maybe it won't, maybe it will. Space-wise we know the 100 kWh is filled up, but if cell characteristics mean tighter fit why not...

So, no, unfortunately battery osborning is not out of the question. :)

That, and well, Tesla has been known to say stuff like this and then change plans. (P85D was the king of the hill for a while, but even then Tesla failed to follow their public plan for no major changes for some stated number of months.)

it's still not going to change the fact you'll have to drive and stop every 2 hours but how often are you driving 300+ miles? also the new superchargers will be much more efficient and quicker so charging won't be as long.

I like that Tesla has added in their most recent update, ways to see how many open chargers there are at each supercharger. hopefully they get a reservation system too.
It's precisely when I'm driing 300+ miles that I don't want to have to stop every 2 hours.

And again, while some superchargers are 2 minutes off the interstate, some are 10. Call it an average of 6. That's 12 minutes to and from.

And while everybody is throwing "5 minutes!" around, that's 8X faster than what it takes now to get to 80%. I'll b generous and allow that 10 minute supercharging might be available at some point.

That's still 20+ minutes on average for a supercharger stop every 2 hours under many conditions.

A significant compromise that more/faster charging stops doesn't fix.

It's precisely when I'm driing 300+ miles that I don't want to have to stop every 2 hours.

And again, while some superchargers are 2 minutes off the interstate, some are 10. Call it an average of 6. That's 12 minutes to and from.

And while everybody is throwing "5 minutes!" around, that's 8X faster than what it takes now to get to 80%. I'll b generous and allow that 10 minute supercharging might be available at some point.

That's still 20+ minutes on average for a supercharger stop every 2 hours under many conditions.

A significant compromise that more/faster charging stops doesn't fix.
Even if you're driving ICE, there is time to consider driving off highways and back on, even when they're highway service stations. Do ICE people take that into account?

As far as I'm concerned, when I pull off and plug-in to charge, the only time that's important to me is the time left over after a bathroom and food break. It's the time I'm sitting around doing nothing and waiting for the charging to complete that is "wasted time".

If my vehicle can completely charge while I'm busy doing stuff, then that's the holy grail I'm after.

Even if you're driving ICE, there is time to consider driving off highways and back on, even when they're highway service stations. Do ICE people take that into account?

As far as I'm concerned, when I pull off and plug-in to charge, the only time that's important to me is the time left over after a bathroom and food break. It's the time I'm sitting around doing nothing and waiting for the charging to complete that is "wasted time".

If my vehicle can completely charge while I'm busy doing stuff, then that's the holy grail I'm after.

No, but my Sequoia can go 350 miles in cold weather.

i am wondering why Tesla is not thinking about the small but growing number of Model X buyers who want to tow travel trailers and would like to avoid any range anxiety. When towing the 22ft Sport in moderate temperatures, the range has been reported to be only about 50% of normal. So for a 100D, that is approximately 145 -150 miles range. For a 90D the towing range is 110-125 miles.

One area where the new cells can dramatically improve Tesla's battery performance could be Supercharging speed.

The sad fact is every Tesla sold today, battery-wise, is old tech. Model 3 will have the new tech and I expect Model S/X will get it too around that time.

And pollute the planet while doing so.

Hence my Model S.

My point being: Elon goal is to transition the planet to EV's and build no-compromise vehicles in order to do so.

Assuming 100kWh hour packs are enough in all circumstances is a compromise if folks have to stop and charge every 2 hours in common travel scenarios.

So I understand the idea of not currently planning on >100kWh packs, as Elon has tweeted. I don't understand never building them, as some folks here are advocating.

Reactions: systemcrashed
To quote Elon, every Tesla so far is running unoptimal "accident of history" battery cells.

The new cell is the biggest development in Tesla's history in many ways - and not just because it will be built at the Gigafactory (or already is for the Powerwall).

I expect old Teslas to look a bit like Classic pre-AP1 cars once that happens. There are undoubtedly benefits in the new cell.

I wonder what is our estilmate, Q3 obsoletes the current batteries?

To quote Elon, every Tesla so far is running unoptimal "accident of history" battery cells.

The new cell is the biggest development in Tesla's history in many ways - and not just because it will be built at the Gigafactory (or already is for the Powerwall).

I expect old Teslas to look a bit like Classic pre-AP1 cars once that happens. There are undoubtedly benefits in the new cell.

I wonder what is our estilmate, Q3 obsoletes the current batteries?
It was my understanding that the new 2170 cells are just mechanically different (ie different size). It should help to increase energy density and lower pack weight. Otherwise, chemical and electrode improvements have been ongoing since the start. I was under the impression that the latest battery packs have the latest chemistry and silicon cathode.