Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla announces 2012 Model S recall for airbags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
Just got this email from Tesla.

airbag.jpg

Sounds like they're going to recall everything up to 2016 eventually. I sure hope Tesla isn't having to pay for this. Aren't airbag replacements EXTREMELY expensive in terms of labor?

I've always expected my 2013 S85 to be recalled for the airbags. Going to be expensive for Tesla to do in states like New Mexico where there are no service centers. Rangers are gonna be drivin' night and day...

Takata will be liable if Tesla's purchase agreement is worth the paper it was written on. I am curious about my December built 2016 AP2 S60D. Late 2016 is awfully ambiguous and Tesla couldn't tell me via phone whether my car would eventually be included....

I'm guessing they no longer use Takata or are using airbags without the defective ignitors.

Takata will be liable if Tesla's purchase agreement is worth the paper it was written on. I am curious about my December built 2016 AP2 S60D. Late 2016 is awfully ambiguous and Tesla couldn't tell me via phone whether my car would eventually be included....

I'm guessing they no longer use Takata or are using airbags without the defective ignitors.

Our S90D went into production on 12/19/16 and we took delivery of it on 12/29/16. We had the driver's knee airbag removed in order to install hand controls and it is a Takata. I assume the rest of the airbags in our car are as well.

For those that read between the lines or just know more about this stuff...

How much invasive surgery (I'm curious about the side bags, and such) is about to happen to my Signature S for this recall?

Top Dash is a piece of cake. It's basically snaps in and out. It's a matter of removing a pillars, some misc trim etc. they designed the dash top pad for ease of removal along with the airbag.

Our S90D went into production on 12/19/16 and we took delivery of it on 12/29/16. We had the driver's knee airbag removed in order to install hand controls and it is a Takata. I assume the rest of the airbags in our car are as well.

Off topic, but I was hoping you might be willing to share some pics (maybe your own thread and just referenced here)? I am sure others have wondered about accessibility enhancements in a Tesla and thus, it would be nice to have some first-hand experiences shared. Thanks!

Off topic, but I was hoping you might be willing to share some pics (maybe your own thread and just referenced here)? I am sure others have wondered about accessibility enhancements in a Tesla and thus, it would be nice to have some first-hand experiences shared. Thanks!

I can definitely share pictures and a description of what we did, but it may be a few days before I can do it. We are in the middle of a series of rainstorms and we don't have a garage, so the car is parked outside. As soon as I can get good pictures, I will post.

I can definitely share pictures and a description of what we did, but it may be a few days before I can do it. We are in the middle of a series of rainstorms and we don't have a garage, so the car is parked outside. As soon as I can get good pictures, I will post.

Thanks! To be clear, it is nothing I need, so no urgent rush. I just figured that I, as someone without such a need, thought of what that would be like, surely someone with the need would have the same thought and then they can find your thread! :)

Thanks! To be clear, it is nothing I need, so no urgent rush. I just figured that I, as someone without such a need, thought of what that would be like, surely someone with the need would have the same thought and then they can find your thread! :)

I understand. We just got them a few days ago and I thought about posting, but hadn't gotten around to it, so I appreciate the nudge.

Reactions: Cyclone

I posted on the main page of the Model S forum. I'm not sure how to reference the thread here. It's titled "Hand Controls in 90D (Wish We Had Grab Bars)".

Reactions: Cyclone