Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Apple Watch support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you guys are missing his comment on the app structure.

There is no such thing as a standalone apple watch app. they are all companion apps to an app that you have on your phone. So he has technically alreayd made a phone app. it will come with the watch app with it that you see in the videos.

Assuming he built it the way he is capable, the functions would be present on your phone AND your watch. not just the watch.
Ah, I see now, thanks for the clarification. I'm not a app/computer guy, maybe he should do an add a segment to the vid showing the phone functions too. I'm sure even more people would be interested. For example my brother doesn't like the Tesla app, and he's not getting the watch but loves his iphone.

So what's the ETA on this thing...
the watch app is mostly complete, and has been for a while. The phone app was something I had to code from scratch as well, so that's what I've been working on for the past few days non-stop. Well, non-stop other than three different doctor's appointment that I had recently (going to have a major surgery soon because of health issues). Now I'm field testing the app. I'm at Fort Drum supercharger right now as I type this and field testing. Also camped in my car last night to test the camp mode function. I'm quite the perfectionist, so I want this app to be working well starting from the first version. I plan to finish it up today and submit it to the App Store. Then, it'll be available in 5-10 days.

One thing that I'm noticing on a lot of newly developed watch apps, is a lack of crown functions. This is one of the few things that the watch has that the phone doesn't that could make it more useful. For instance, instead of tapping the temp -/+ button 7 times, you roll the crown to your desired temp. The key would be smooth, easy to control scrolling. Other areas that I can think of right off the top of my head are sunroof position, set charge limit, zoom for map view, etc.
if I'm not mistaken, it's because Apple doesn't give developers access to the crown. The crown is for scrolling.

That doesn't mean this app can't be successful, it just has to be positioned relative to what Tesla ends up offering for free.
It generally takes Apple 5-10 days to review an app/update, but I have no idea when he submitted the app for review.

This app has a unique challenge with review too, since it requires connectivity to a "Tesla", either a real one or a fake connection the developer may have built. It will be interesting for the developer if he gave Apple access to his real Model S and they start testing the app while he's driving around! :eek:
my app more functional than Tesla's official app. I'm going to give the reviewer a dummy account with fake car stats.

Really good point. Rego, have you ever considered writing a phone app? I know some people aren't 100% happy w/the Tesla one...you already have a good head start! You'd have ALOT of interested buyers :rolleyes:

I second that suggestion. The Tesla phone app is quite limited. I appreciate that Tesla personnel have a lot on their plates and they need to focus on the vehicle, the X launch, the 3 designs, etc., but there is so much more that could be done with the phone app.

And also agree that some Watch apps don't utilize the digital crown function enough. It's something new to Apple app developers and I think they forget it's there.

I'm talking like I own an Apple Watch but in fact I still haven't received mine, it's supposed to arrive within 4 weeks. Anticipation...
yup. The app will be compatible with iOS 8.2 devices and up (so iPhone 4S and up). No Apple Watch required to use the iPhone app.

Hey don't work non-stop if you have major health issues, you sound pretty young in your youtube videos. The app is nice but not that important! Hope you recover quickly from your health problems Rego.

Hey don't work non-stop if you have major health issues, you sound pretty young in your youtube videos. The app is nice but not that important! Hope you recover quickly from your health problems Rego.

Good advice. Very considerate of you.

I'm trying to buy a watch on ebay now and have it shipped here. I'm hearing only good things on TMC and people here know their technology.

Actually, after my operation in a few months, I will be more or less disabled and unfit for work for about half the year and bound to a wheelchair and hospital. That's why I want to get this app finished soon, because 1) people are waiting for it, and 2) I don't have much time left.

I just finished my consultations with various doctors, and what can I say? This is just life. Those who read my mini-bio at IAmA a person in his 20s who went from during the recession. AMA. : IAmA would know that I've been through worse. Actually, I take it back. This operation might be the worst of it all. People who went through it described it as the most painful experience they've ever had (including childbirth). Not looking forward to it at all... But this is just half a year or so of pain as opposed to not going through with the operation and suffering for the rest of my life.

I'm pretty young, though. I'm in the 26-30 age range, so I think I'll be okay. I may not have the same Wolverine-like healing abilities of when I was a teenager, but I'll still recover.

I should probably sleep more and get outside more, though. Staying indoors coding all day for the past decade had taken a toll on my health. My doctor told me today that I'm vitamin-D deficient, even though I live in Florida - the Sunshine state. Ironic.

I just saw a video video of regoapp's excellent Tesla app for the Apple Watch. All I can say is WOW! This app alone would be a good reason to go buy an Apple Watch. It's certainly worth $10. Congratulations and thank you for creating this excellent app.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery. We all wish you a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Regoapps,
Thank you for all your work. Please take care of yourself. Sometimes its good to get your mind off of health issues, sometimes you do need rest and healing time. We will all be here waiting patiently (mostly patiently) to see your Phone and Watch creations. Again from what I saw, its an amazing app, but again, its important to let yourself heal and relax when you are under such stress. Again great work, best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Thanks for all your kind words. I can finally rest, because I just finished and submitted the app to the App Store. What took so long? Well, the Apple Watch app was completed when I made that video. But I also had to code the iPhone/iPad version. That took a whole other week to do. And then finally I had to field test this app for several days to make sure that it's perfect. I also added the features that I said that I wouldn't add to the first version, but ended up including them anyway, due to the huge support from you guys. Thanks, it really motivated me a lot to create a very feature-heavy app.

Breadcrumb mode is now pretty robust. It will keep a history of the MPH/direction/time of when the bread crumb was placed. Here's a picture of it in action. I just randomly picked one of the pins as an example:
IMG_7022.PNG

Here's some screens of the main app:
iOS Simulator Screen Shot May 8, 2015, 10.59.10 AM.png
iOS Simulator Screen Shot May 8, 2015, 10.57.30 AM.png
iOS Simulator Screen Shot May 8, 2015, 10.47.18 AM.png
iOS Simulator Screen Shot May 8, 2015, 10.51.22 AM.png
IMG_7024.PNG

And yes, Touch ID does allow you to start the car. Besides the Apple Watch, Touch ID keyless start was the most requested feature. Just make sure that you have Apple Watch and Touch ID enabled in the login screen to enable these features. If you don't enable it in the login screen, you'd have to sign out and log back in to change the settings.

There's support for multiple cars. Just press that white car icon on the top-right to switch between cars.

There's support for km and celsius. The app will read the settings from your car automatically, so you don't have to set them. It will also change them on the fly when you change it in the car.

The Odometer is also more accurate than what your car will tell you. I tested it out, and it turns out that it's not accurate up to an inch (even though they give me the figure in inches). It's accurate up to maybe 10-20 feet. Still not bad. The odometer just doesn't update until you move a few feet.

Camp Mode is now working, as suggested by someone. I actually camped overnight in my Tesla to make sure that it works. Turns out that sending a "Turn on HVAC" command at the 29.9th minute doesn't cause the timer to reset. The car will still turn off the HVAC after 30 minutes. Solution? Just have the app turn it back on after the 30 minutes.

I actually opened up my app to accept all sorts of commands from the internet using protocols. So if you use the in-app browser, and have a website that sends a hvac://on command via javascript, the app will do that command without any user input. You can create complex scripts this way. For example, in the morning, you can have the website tell you the temperature, check the weather first, and then open/close the roof accordingly. And if it's too hot or too cold for just simple roof opening, you can have the car turn on the HVAC a certain time before you leave the house. And then maybe even unlock the car and start the engine for you before you get in, so you don't have to wait for the car to "start up". The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
Amazing rego! I ordered an Apple Watch on ebay at a premium (actually not too bad) + will pay customs fees just to get it before everyone else here (probably won't come to Norway until late 2015). Your app is what pushed me over the edge :)

Very cool! Looking forward to it and good luck with your surgery and recovery.

It looks awesome - I can't wait. Do you still need the key fob or does the app make it redundant?
Never leave without your fob if you have your car. If you park underground, in a high RFI area (under powerlines), or out of cellular tower range, or your car decides to disconnect from the network, you'll be stuck! A few people on here learned that lesson the hard way. The phone is a nice backup plan, but should only be a backup plan.