Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla assistance for AutoSock on Model X

Would you be interested in AutoSocks for your Model X?

• Yes, I've got 22" wheels

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No, I have another solution for my 22" wheels

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Yes, I've got 20" wheels (size available, see post)

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • No, I have another solution for my 20" wheels

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With winter coming to the Pacific Northwest, I've got a few road trips planned that'll involve snowy and icy weather. On my previous SUV, I used AutoSocks and they were great--easy to put on, quiet, and great performance. My Model X has the 22" wheels (for which Tesla doesn't even offer chains) and when I went looking for the right AutoSock size I got "Contact us"... turns out they don't currently have a size that supports 285/35 R22 (rear) or 265/35 R22 (front) tires. (Though AutoSock size 698 works for Model X 20" rear wheels and size 697 works for 20" front wheels.)

AutoSock is an approved traction device in the U.S. (and other places, but I haven't dug into that much) and is also approved by many manufacturers (BMW, Volvo, VW, Jaguar, etc) for use on their vehicles. The fit on the tire is very thin, so it should avoid issues w/ the suspension that standard cable and chain solutions have had with Teslas in the past.

Turns out the team at AutoSock tried reaching out to Tesla previously, but didn't get much traction (*ba dum tsh*). I plan to formally add AutoSock support to my next issue list for my SC, as it's the only way I know of to give feedback directly to Tesla (per my SA). I also wanted to raise awareness here... if enough people have interest, perhaps we can get Tesla's attention and help connect them w/ AutoSock.

AutoSock's reply to my inquiry about 265/35 R22 or 285/35 R22 support:

TeslaAutoSock.png

Your vote table needs another category: I have 20" and interested in Autosocks solution........

Autosocks are approved with CALTRANS (California)? pls provide link.
Ah, I didn't add that because I mentioned there are already AutoSock sizes that fit the 20" wheels. AutoSock size 698 works for Model X 20" rear wheels and size 697 works for 20" front wheels.

As for approval information, it looks like it is approved by CALTRANS. You can check out this site for state-by-state approval info: http://autosock.us/products/regulations.

I'm in for the 20" and on their site, it looks like $99.95 per. Not sure if it's per wheel or per set but that's a lot cheaper than the Telsa chains.
You get a pair, so two wheels. For Model X, you should just need it for the rear since that's where most of the torque will be at snow travel speeds. I've usually seen them for $100-120 for a pair around here.

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't add that because I mentioned there are already AutoSock sizes that fit the 20" wheels. AutoSock size 698 works for Model X 20" rear wheels and size 697 works for 20" front wheels.

As for approval information, it looks like it is approved by CALTRANS. You can check out this site for state-by-state approval info: http://autosock.us/products/regulations.

You get a pair, so two wheels. For Model X, you should just need it for the rear since that's where most of the torque will be at snow travel speeds. I've usually seen them for $100-120 for a pair around here.
Great finding nck, ordered my rear wheel pair on Amazon just now, and will probably never need to use them.

With winter coming to the Pacific Northwest, I've got a few road trips planned that'll involve snowy and icy weather. On my previous SUV, I used AutoSocks and they were great--easy to put on, quiet, and great performance. My Model X has the 22" wheels (for which Tesla doesn't even offer chains) and when I went looking for the right AutoSock size I got "Contact us"... turns out they don't currently have a size that supports 285/35 R22 (rear) or 265/35 R22 (front) tires. (Though AutoSock size 698 works for Model X 20" rear wheels and size 697 works for 20" front wheels.)

AutoSock is an approved traction device in the U.S. (and other places, but I haven't dug into that much) and is also approved by many manufacturers (BMW, Volvo, VW, Jaguar, etc) for use on their vehicles. The fit on the tire is very thin, so it should avoid issues w/ the suspension that standard cable and chain solutions have had with Teslas in the past.

Turns out the team at AutoSock tried reaching out to Tesla previously, but didn't get much traction (*ba dum tsh*). I plan to formally add AutoSock support to my next issue list for my SC, as it's the only way I know of to give feedback directly to Tesla (per my SA). I also wanted to raise awareness here... if enough people have interest, perhaps we can get Tesla's attention and help connect them w/ AutoSock.

AutoSock's reply to my inquiry about 265/35 R22 or 285/35 R22 support:

View attachment 202438

Any progress on getting Autosocks or alternative traction solution for your 22's?

I would love to hear about people’s experience using AutoSocks on their Model X.

If it matters, I’m actually using the 19” wheels from a Model S and Nokian snow tires
HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV 265/50-19 for all four wheels.

My main purpose would be to get through chain control heading to Lake Tahoe (although in the past 17 years I have not once been asked to show my chains when driving my AWD Acura MDX with standard mud and snow tires.) It’s also reassuring to have a little bit of extra traction available if things get super, super gnarly.

I bought the AutoSocks for my 20”s a few years back when I was heading to South Tahoe. Conditions were great and never had to use them. Running on 22”s now and will switch back to 20”s when we head back this season. The tires on my 22”s aren’t M&S rated so I don’t think they’ll do well in snow.

There’s another alternative they Ive been eyeing but don’t need since I have the AutoSocks.
https://us.michelin-lifestyle.com/downloads/promotions/easy-grip-size-guide.pdf

I bought the AutoSocks for my 20”s a few years back when I was heading to South Tahoe. Conditions were great and never had to use them. Running on 22”s now and will switch back to 20”s when we head back this season. The tires on my 22”s aren’t M&S rated so I don’t think they’ll do well in snow.

There’s another alternative they Ive been eyeing but don’t need since I have the AutoSocks.
https://us.michelin-lifestyle.com/downloads/promotions/easy-grip-size-guide.pdf

Thanks for your input about the AutoSocks and your link to the Michelin product. I’ll check it out further.

Did you buy 2 sets of AutoSocks to carry with you or just 1? Does anyone know if it would be a bad idea to just use AutoSocks on one axle, if they’re going to be used, or do they REALLY have to be used on all 4 wheels for the sake of the vehicle?

Thanks for your input about the AutoSocks and your link to the Michelin product. I’ll check it out further.

Did you buy 2 sets of AutoSocks to carry with you or just 1? Does anyone know if it would be a bad idea to just use AutoSocks on one axle, if they’re going to be used, or do they REALLY have to be used on all 4 wheels for the sake of the vehicle?

Socks should be put on the rear so you only need one pair.

Socks should be put on the rear so you only need one pair.

I’m not disagreeing with you. But note that the Model X is FWD biased. This is especially true on the Raven. While just cruising around (not hard acceleration) the rear motor is essentially turned OFF.

There are hotly debated threads on the Model 3 AWD being RWD biased (and folks not thrilled with its behavior). The X does 10x better because it’s FWD biased. But if you put chains on the back they won’t be as effective. They certainly will help get you out of a ditch if you stomp on it. And may help in braking on slick surfaces. But if you are cruising slowly on ice they won’t be doing much to help you move forward.

Lots of Videos showing Roller test and CANBus traces that show it.

I have 1 set for my 2016 MX with 20" wheels. Been using them on the rear tires only for three Colorado winters and they work great.

The same pair for all three seasons? About how many times have you used them? I was under the impression that they won’t last very long.

I just ordered 1 pair from Amazon but would still appreciate all input. I thought that if you used chains with an AWD they had to be mounted on all 4 wheels for the sake of the vehicle. Is this wrong? Perhaps this doesn’t apply to the AutoSocks because they are so thin? Then again, perhaps I’m confused and I’m recalling that snow tires need to go on all 4 wheels, not chains.

Last edited:
The same pair for all three seasons? About how many times have you used them? I was under the impression that they won’t last very long.

I just ordered 1 pair from Amazon but would still appreciate all input. I thought that if you used chains with an AWD they had to be mounted on all 4 wheels for the sake of the vehicle. Is this wrong? Perhaps this doesn’t apply to the AutoSocks because they are so thin? Then again, perhaps I’m confused and I’m recalling that snow tires need to go on all 4 wheels, not chains.
Yes, it's the same set for all 3 winters.
However, I use them the same way I use chains. They only go on when necessary, I don't exceed 35 mph when they're on, and I don't run them on dry roads. I've needed them 4 or 5 times in snow from 6" to 18" (with 24" drifts). Once the roads are plowed, I can take the socks off.
As with chains, using socks on all 4 tires of an AWD vehicle is recommended, but not required. The limited space between the front tires and control arms on the MX makes it almost impossible to fit any traction devices on the front. But with socks just on the rear, and with the MX's traction control, the grip and control are excellent.