Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot free over the air autopilot trials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
According to Electrek Tesla is sending emails out to Hardware AP2+ owners that didn't purchase EAP when they ordered their cars. It is a 14 trial beginning today / tomorrow / "soon". My question is why would Tesla do this before the V9 software slated for next month that has been touted to be the Next Big Thing for EAP. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and let those owners experience this "amazing new version" lol or AP?

Tesla starts free over-the-air Autopilot trials to boost usage and sales of the system

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Electrek Tesla is sending emails out to Hardware AP2+ owners that didn't purchase EAP when they ordered their cars. It is a 14 trial beginning today / tomorrow / "soon". My question is why would Tesla do this before the V9 software slated for next month that has been touted to be the Next Big Thing for EAP. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and let those owners experience this "amazing new version" lol or AP?

Tesla starts free over-the-air Autopilot trials to boost usage and sales of the system

Even Elon is acknowledging Sept at soonest for V9. FSD delayed to usual random time interval never achieved.

I think he said 4 to 6 months this time but it's basically 3 months, 6 definitely Part 6. I hate sequels.

Bottom line: Tesla could definitely do the same trial but for FSD when/if it actually works.

I think this is a case of... check this out! Yeah, you think this is cool?!?! Well the next huge update is right around the corner and you better get in on this EAP thing now cause we might raise the price again real soon.

I'm guessing that Version 9 isn't going to be as far along as people think/want. If that's the case then how many people will buy in if the improvements/added features don't impress? By getting people excited now with the promise of a big update coming real soon I'm sure they'll get more people to buy the EAP upgrade.

Last edited:
Even Elon is acknowledging Sept at soonest for V9. FSD delayed to usual random time interval never achieved.

I think he said 4 to 6 months this time but it's basically 3 months, 6 definitely Part 6. I hate sequels.

Bottom line: Tesla could definitely do the same trial but for FSD when/if it actually works.

According to everything available today, FSD WILL require AP3 hardware before any car can use any of its features....so I don't see that happening

According to everything available today, FSD WILL require AP3 hardware before any car can use any of its features....so I don't see that happening

Just discussed that item with someone closer to the company than I..... he told me V9 will be out before the end of the year, as I'm waiting patiently for the upgrade since I pre-paid as well...

Reactions: boonedocks

This. Also, from sales perspective, those who did not already purchase EAP are probably even less likely to purchase the FSD. Whatever their reasons (lack of trust in the system, limited useful functions, extra cost, etc.), it's much easier to ease them into automation by starting with EAP. Doesn't cost Tesla anything, and there is less education needed for the consumer. Adds to path to profitability. Once they're hooked from the trial, selling the EAP upgrade is easier than hoping they just decide one day to make the purchase. Then once they have EAP, it's another (easier) step to get them to FSD.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
This. Also, from sales perspective, those who did not already purchase EAP are probably even less likely to purchase the FSD. Whatever their reasons (lack of trust in the system, limited useful functions, extra cost, etc.), it's much easier to ease them into automation by starting with EAP. Doesn't cost Tesla anything, and there is less education needed for the consumer. Adds to path to profitability. Once they're hooked from the trial, selling the EAP upgrade is easier than hoping they just decide one day to make the purchase. Then once they have EAP, it's another (easier) step to get them to FSD.

Again though: Why would Tesla do this before the V9 software slated for next month that has been touted to be the Next Big Thing for EAP. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and let those owners experience this "amazing new version" lol or AP?

Again though: Why would Tesla do this before the V9 software slated for next month that has been touted to be the Next Big Thing for EAP. Wouldn't it make more sense to wait and let those owners experience this "amazing new version" lol or AP?
Maybe they'll do it again after 9 rolls out, if 9 is that different...

This marketing strategy is basically a free cash inflow for them. An email costs nothing, the hardware is already on the cars so no cost there, and if they get one extra person to buy EAP it would have been worth it.

I can see 3 reasons (though I could be wrong) in descending order of likelihood.

1) Profitability Target. Every dollar helps, and since this is a high margin initiative. Doesn't cost them anything, potentially earns a few thousand from a few thousand people, if there are that many.

2) Time Horizon. It takes time to roll anything out for Tesla, even when it is completed, so I could see a scenario where V9 is complete later than expected and then it takes some time to get it out to a lot of cars. Since the clock is ticking, it might be a month or two before they're in a position to offer trials, which is cutting it close for getting people signed up and realizing the revenue this quarter.

3) Investor Positioning. Since we know Elon is looking to take the company private, there may be some benefits to getting more people on EAP to attract the best terms. This one is a stretch, but strategically speaking, there may be some behind the scenes reasons that are better if more of the fleet have EAP activated.

I can see 3 reasons (though I could be wrong) in descending order of likelihood.

1) Profitability Target. Every dollar helps, and since this is a high margin initiative. Doesn't cost them anything, potentially earns a few thousand from a few thousand people, if there are that many.

2) Time Horizon. It takes time to roll anything out for Tesla, even when it is completed, so I could see a scenario where V9 is complete later than expected and then it takes some time to get it out to a lot of cars. Since the clock is ticking, it might be a month or two before they're in a position to offer trials, which is cutting it close for getting people signed up and realizing the revenue this quarter.

3) Investor Positioning. Since we know Elon is looking to take the company private, there may be some benefits to getting more people on EAP to attract the best terms. This one is a stretch, but strategically speaking, there may be some behind the scenes reasons that are better if more of the fleet have EAP activated.

#2 sounds completely plausible if not downright probable. V9mcould very well be mooonnntha away...6 months maybe 12 months definitely

Reactions: Chopr147
V9 was to be the first with FSD features, not full FSD.
Theory:
The demo EAP has all the safety/ drivability improvements enabled but not the on ramp to off ramp feature nor fully auto lane change (partial v9 feature set). The demo version will be running the vetted features with the new stuff in parallel to gather more test/ verification data. (And maybe better hand detection)

Why do you think that? If anything I would think the cost would remain the same since it’s extremely profitable, and I don’t think anyone is holding out that would change their mind because of ~$1K price difference?

Maybe, just maybe Tesla is in a bit of a financial crunch? Musk's bi-polar tweets are ominous.

My 60 to 75 kWh battery OTA upgrade was only $2k. Prior list price was ~ $8k.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
So I updated to 2018.28.1 about 1.5 weeks ago, but still haven't been offered a free trial of autopilot. I want to buy AEP and the money is in my checking account, but if I get a free trial I'd rather wait until that comes through. Is it a staggered rollout over a period of months?