Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they might have «blurry lens» detection as well
Yeah, they detect blurry lens, sunglare, wiper in view, blocked lens (triggers on repeater cams in my garage for example).

I see stop signs blocked (partially or full) at different times of the year depending on leaves and foliage. Also occasionly due to snow or sun glare.
This (the second example for sure) is not a valid sign and nobody should be expected to obey it.

Yeah, they detect blurry lens, sunglare, wiper in view, blocked lens (triggers on repeater cams in my garage for example).

This (the second example for sure) is not a valid sign and nobody should be expected to obey it.
The first one isn't even a stop sign. It is neither the right color nor the right font. If you get a ticket for running that one, you might motivate me to go to law school and pass the bar to defend your BS ticket!

The first one isn't even a stop sign. It is neither the right color nor the right font. If you get a ticket for running that one, you might motivate me to go to law school and pass the bar to defend your BS ticket!
FYI, this is the sign in the second picture I was thinking looked like a stop sign and would be partially blocked.
WBzoLRK.jpg

Where is the source of ground truth redundancy in HD maps if they are compiled using the same neural network that does perception in real time?

Presumably it would be from statistics: if the last 1,000 times cars have passed through an intersection they have detected a stop sign, and now a car doesn’t detect a stop sign there, the car knows the HD map disagrees with its real time perception.

But what about when the environment changes? Some people say HD maps need to be updated daily because the built environment changes so frequently. When the HD map and real time perception NN disagree, how does the car know whether it’s a perception error or a change to the environment?

On the other hand, if the ground truth redundancy comes from human annotation, you’re going to need to collect raw sensor data on every mile of road, and update your HD maps more like once a year than once daily.

If the purpose of HD maps is something other than (or in addition to) sensing redundancy, what is it? Allowing the car to anticipate what’s up ahead on its route? But isn’t an HD map overkill for that?

I’m asking these questions 100% sincerely, not rhetorically — in case that isn’t clear.

If they notice that before one date all measurements agreed with the map and after a date they disagree, they can remove the previous mesurements and add the new and then remake the map for the local region. Map making is pretty robust to incorrect measurements nowadays, see for example Olsen’s proposal: (see lesson 20)
Robot Mapping - WS 2018/19 - Arbeitsgruppe: Autonome Intelligente Systeme

For how to update a local map, see lesson 16.

Ground truth, which they use to verify the map making process, not to make maps, likely comes from a lidar and RTK GPS based map maker.

HD maps is an extra sensor for the system. It decreases uncertainty and adds robustness. It allows you to see when your vision is covered etc. And if your camera goes blind you can still know where the lane markers are as you use radar to position yourself in the map and slowly drive to the side and stop.

Along the same lines, there’s a stretch of highway on my way home where the right lane merges. Right about where the merge starts there’s a “Lane ends” sign above. The maps are very detailed so it knows it’s a merge lane. It also knows no lanes have signs over. What it doesn’t understand is that the merge lane has a sign over it. My car will come to a full stop when it gets to that sign (I’m assuming cuz it thinks it’s an obstacle). It’s been happening for months ... at least since NOA was released.

I’d think that there’d be a priority in reconciling HD maps vs reality that “Stop or you’re going to die!” map behavior would be quickly reconciled with my very real ability to drive through perceived hazard and continue home.

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
I recently noticed that on my daily commute, Autopilot (or Autosteer) suddenly (overnight) started to drive much better; less weaving, didn't try to take a merging lane anymore etc. The firmware has stayed the same (2018.50.6) so it must be an update in the maps, right? How old are the current AP maps in Europe at this time?

I recently noticed that on my daily commute, Autopilot (or Autosteer) suddenly (overnight) started to drive much better; less weaving, didn't try to take a merging lane anymore etc. The firmware has stayed the same (2018.50.6) so it must be an update in the maps, right? How old are the current AP maps in Europe at this time?
I've seen the same in Ukraine. It looks like new maps released. And I was really surprised when was finding NoA trigger in the Autopilot menu! I activated it, checked that if the route is outcide of city it offers to use NoA but haven't had a chance to check how it works.
But anyway I didn't expect NoA in Ukraine soon! Nice surprice!

The older the timestamp, the lower the confidence level?
Yah, the newer the more reliable.

So a disagreement such as this: «HD map: Stop sign, timestamped 3 minutes ago» versus «NN: Splattered bug on windshield, no visual on any stop sign» should perhaps send some brake command (unless «NN: Semi truck at full speed 1 meter behind you»).

Or...?

I've seen the same in Ukraine. It looks like new maps released. And I was really surprised when was finding NoA trigger in the Autopilot menu! I activated it, checked that if the route is outcide of city it offers to use NoA but haven't had a chance to check how it works.
But anyway I didn't expect NoA in Ukraine soon! Nice surprice!
Very interesting to se NOA on somthing else than model 3 in Europe! What firmware are you running? Did you get updated release note also with noa desvription?
Noticed big downloads?

Yah, the newer the more reliable.

So a disagreement such as this: «HD map: Stop sign, timestamped 3 minutes ago» versus «NN: Splattered bug on windshield, no visual on any stop sign» should perhaps send some brake command (unless «NN: Semi truck at full speed 1 meter behind you»).

Or...?

That, plus weighting by road/road type. Perhaps low traffic volume roads should be treated differently?

Very interesting to se NOA on somthing else than model 3 in Europe! What firmware are you running? Did you get updated release note also with noa desvription?
Noticed big downloads?
It was a really big surprice for me!

I got 2018.50.6 few weeks ago but there wasn't any notice about NoA in the description. The same as it was in December when I got 2018.42.1 and 48.12. There was neither notice nor NoA itself.

Now there is a notice about NoA but in a history of descriptions for previous versions. Pictures are under the spoiler:
20190319_115425.jpg
20190319_115439.jpg

I noticed a download of 5 GB via wifi last week. I think this is new maps but as you know it doesn't show any messages after a map update.