Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Bait and Switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Received an online offer from tesla, valid 30 days. Drove to the store met rep, looked at inventory car. Worked numbers based on trade. Ordered car, delivery was scheduled. They then came back with trade offer now 3500 less. Canceled lost my deposit. I don't like who tesla is becoming.
Treated like any other sleazy brand

Received an online offer from tesla, valid 30 days. Drove to the store met rep, looked at inventory car. Worked numbers based on trade. Ordered car, delivery was scheduled. They then came back with trade offer now 3500 less. Canceled lost my deposit. I don't like who tesla is becoming.
Did they give a reason why the trade in offer was 3500 less? After inspection?

I do see that other places like Carvana have lowered their offers. Tesla is often one of the worst places to trade in your car though.

What was the online offer for 30 days exactly? That you were offered X for your trade in?

Any chance you were taking advantage of the FSD transfer option? (Where they clearly say the trade-in value will be lower as you would no longer be trading in FSD since you would be keeping that on the new vehicle.)

We spoke at the store and yes he informed me the original offer was low due to moving the FSD. $ 22,800 was the first offer 2019 M3 LR with Performance Boost, Blue, Dark interior. I take this car to shows all the time, it is immaculate. $ 22,800 was already a hard hit, I then sent 4 photos on the app then it came back at $ 19,400. Most people look at my car and think it is brand new. I have always detailed and maintained the cars beyond what most will do. This would have been my 6th Tesla car purchase so I have had experience with them all the way back to 2018. I do believe I have some basis for the claim. It just felt wrong and the rep never said to expect a lower offer than the email already stated they would give for 30 days. Call it what you want. It is what it is, they had no interest in negotiating whatsoever, just a text that said if you want to cancel your order you can do so on the APP....Not that big of a deal to me, I have sold many tesla cars to friends and others from going to car shows, etc. I earned a referral for the Cybertruck unveilling, wheels, and more when they had the GOOD referral program, so I am very committed to the brand, this was s kick in the gut and I won't be so inspired to push them in the future.

Same thing happened to me, except the difference from the trade in estimate (with FSD) to actual offer (without FSD) was more ridiculous. Model 3 Estimate was $25.2k, Actual offer was $16.2k. Funny how now FSD on trade ins are very valuable... Quick cancel, 😂.

Understand the disappointmen, however over the past month, both new and used Tesla pricing has come down.

When you are given a quote, it usually is subject to a physical inspection and market evaluation.

Tesla is now allowing people to remove the FSD from their trade in Tesla and transfering that over to a new one. That could negatively effect the market value (not just to Tesla) of your trade.

Tesla is now allowing people to remove the FSD from their trade in Tesla and transfering that over to a new one. That could negatively effect the market value (not just to Tesla) of your trade.

Prior to this FSD transfer, Tesla was valuing FSD for as little as $1,000, but it doesn't impact the price at all for Tesla. They remove/add FSD to used cars all of the time because it cost them nothing.

But all of a sudden they value FSD at $3,500? That is sleazy.

The Value of FSD is much different than the Cost of FSD.
Ok?

Here...prior to the FSD transfer Tesla put almost 0 additional value for trade-ins on FSD. Elon even spoke about this. It's mainly because they strip it if it sells third-party.

Now that there's a FSD transfer, they are telling this individual the price they are willing to pay is $3,500 less because the car will no longer have FSD.

You don't see how that's fishy?

Ok?

Here...prior to the FSD transfer Tesla put almost 0 additional value for trade-ins on FSD. Elon even spoke about this. It's mainly because they strip it if it sells third-party.

Now that there's a FSD transfer, they are telling this individual the price they are willing to pay is $3,500 less because the car will no longer have FSD.

You don't see how that's fishy?
I’d be totally fine with Tesla allowing a FSD transfer for 3,500. I just wish this was going for more than one quarter. Some day I will need to get a new car (besides the CT) and I’m just not ready to give up my current model S yet.

I’d be totally fine with Tesla allowing a FSD transfer for 3,500. I just wish this was going for more than one quarter. Some day I will need to get a new car (besides the CT) and I’m just not ready to give up my current model S yet.
The point is that Tesla previously either didn't value FSD on trade-ins or put a miniscule value on it.

Now that they are saying it reduced trade in by 3,500 here and 4,000 from someone of FB. They just all of a sudden, with FSD transfers, increased what they value FSD on trade-ins 300-400%.

The point is that Tesla previously either didn't value FSD on trade-ins or put a miniscule value on it.

Now that they are saying it reduced trade in by 3,500 here and 4,000 from someone of FB. They just all of a sudden, with FSD transfers, increased what they value FSD on trade-ins 300-400%.
I understand your point.