Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ban - Security just kicked me out of an EV spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this just happened...

Going to see Captain Marvel (Woot!) at the South Bay center in Boston. There are 4 free Chargeopint chargers on L2 and Urban SC on the top floor. As we were seeing a movie any my battery is lower, went to plug in at the Chargepoint. 3 of them were open, 1 was ICE'd. So as I go to plug in Security drives up and the following dialogue ensues:
Security: "You can't charge here."

Me: "uh?"

Security: "Tere are Tesla chargers upstairs for you"

Me: "I can't use them as I will be there too long and anyways, they are not free like the Chargepoint (they are for me, but at the root they are not for everyone)"

Security: "Doesn't matter you can't park here, you can go upstairs"

Me: "Um that doesn't make any sense"

Security: "Well we are putting up a sign tonight and that is what management told us so you can't be here".

So now I had to park in regular spot and charge tonight after the movie.....

Just a weird situation! And best part is they don't at all care about the ICE there (I didn't think in the moment to point that out to them).

The issue I see here is that @Nate977p will be fully charged at the urban SC in less time than it takes to watch a movie. He'll then start incurring idle fees. A slower charger is the best choice in this situation.
Absolutely, except, the idea of plugging-in while performing a task that takes over an hour is becoming a passé benefit. With the influx of more EV drivers, the ability to charge when necessary will start to push out the benefit of charging at convenience unless charging spots increase with EV adoption at an adequate rate.

TBH, it makes sense to keep the L2 chargers free when you can charge somewhere else. It's the same concept as being ICEed. You can't expect everybody to understand the nuances of free versus paid charging.

That was my first point is get the fact not everyone knows. Problem is I can't charge, I will be at the SC for 3 hours if I plugged in up there.

They own the chargers and are free to do as they wish.

Charging at a private charger is not your right.

This may or may not be that case is this will differ from city to city, state to state, country to country but...

It is not uncommon to have government incentives and rules around public charges. The charger may have been subsidised with public money and may have rules attached to it as how it can be used.

Reactions: chjch and wenkan
You do not see anything wrong with your behavior, do you ?

Not really no?

The GF and I frequent this plaza 3-5x a week now to charge: no home charging and I drive a lot. dWe doa ton of shopping and dining here now due to the SC. We also signed up for the AMC monthly pass because there is an AMC and our plan was to get that so we could L2 chargeand see a movie. We have brought significant amount of our business here (Target, Home Depot, Clothing, Dining) due solely to charge.

Now I agree the owner can make their own decisions on this, but I will say I rarely have seen all the L2 full and a majority of non-Tesla are PHEV.

So to answer your question, no I don't see a problem when I brought most of my retail and a large chunk of dining budget here and explicitly bought the AMC movie pass to not lose time while charging.

Absolutely, except, the idea of plugging-in while performing a task that takes over an hour is becoming a passé benefit. With the influx of more EV drivers, the ability to charge when necessary will start to push out the benefit of charging at convenience unless charging spots increase with EV adoption at an adequate rate.

I don't agree. The point of L2 is just that... L2 for daily charging is not sustainable (said someone living on LET'S for daily charging :))

Reactions: preilly44