Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Road From High-Octane To High-Tech Is Dangerous. Father Of 'Tesla-Beater' Jaguar Says Why

VW is not the only car company beating its chest about a future "Tesla beater".

I stopped in the San Jose Jaguar dealer to inquire about the i-Pace. The salesman was familiar with the car and said it would be available mid-2018. They aren't taking deposits yet but he took my email address so he could contact me when they do. He said he had had 12-15 such inquiries so far.

In contrast the young sales guy at the Audi dealership down the street hadn't heard of the e-tron Quattro. His manager had but wasn't interested in coming out of his office to talk to me about it.

Thanks for the link. It looks like Jaguar is going to make a real effort with the i-Pace -- a worthy competitor to the Model X. (Though I think it won't actually cut into Model X sales, since I think it will cut into gas car sales instead.) And it looks like they've been working on it long enough that it really will come out in 2018 and they really will have nearly everything right.

Only catch: no fast charging network. People care about that, it turns out... maybe Jag is the one company in talks with Tesla about Supercharger access?

Only catch: no fast charging network. People care about that, it turns out... maybe Jag is the one company in talks with Tesla about Supercharger access?
Please, please. When one domino falls, suddenly there is a defacto standard "I could use chademo, or CCS "frankenplug" or heaven forbid a J1772 @ 6.6kwh, but the Tesla plugin is both faster and more elegant"

... in one state.
Volkswagen will rapidly build a nationwide EV charging network at hundreds of sites across 40 states within the next 3 years, according to new plans revealed last week.

The new network stands to dramatically expand the long-distance driving utility of current and future all-electric vehicles. With power rates of up to 320 kilowatts, the network would rival, and in some ways exceed, today’s Tesla DC Supercharger network.

Note: the map shown in the article is a federal map that provides guidance on high priority interstate routes. It is not the actual map of ElectrifyAmerica's first investment cycle plan.

The California aspect of the plan was approved earlier this month and the non-CA plan was approved by EPA around May.

VW Reveals Nationwide EV Charging Plans - HybridCars.com

Last edited:
VW/Electrify America is spending more outside CA than Tesla has spent in the entire US as of today.

That SHOULD lead to a very robust nationwide network.

Key word: should.

Money spent <> results achieved, and Tesla is both more motivated and likely much more cost efficient.

I hope VW builds a great network. My cynical side expects most of their money to disappear into feasibility studies and consulting fees with only a few stations built. We'll see.

VW/Electrify America is spending more outside CA than Tesla has spent in the entire US as of today.

That SHOULD lead to a very robust nationwide network.

Tesla spent vastly more than merely book value on the Supercharger network. Also pay attention to the length of time for VW pay up as well as their cost per plug. They are going to pay vastly more per plug and there is a large chunk of that money going to L2 DCFC, which wastes even more money.

Money spent <> results achieved, and Tesla is both more motivated and likely much more cost efficient.
The key issue is whether VW sees the existence of the planned DC highway charging network as being in their own self-interest. I suspect that they do. A lot of premium high-margin auto sales are already being lost by VW/Audi/Porsche to Tesla. I suspect VW is worried about losing even more in the next several years unless they can build a competitive BEV product strategy and a high quality highway charging network is a vital part of that strategy.

The key issue is whether VW sees the existence of the planned DC highway charging network as being in their own self-interest.

That would also be true of Mercedes and BMW.

The company losing the most sales seems to be Lexus/Toyota ( at least in the USA, where Electrify America is being built.)

And yet they do nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff N
Toyota, Mazda to form alliance for joint EV development
4 Aug 2017 at 11:22
WRITER: KYODO NEWS

c1_1299958_620x413.jpg

In this May 13, 2015 file photo, Toyota Motor Corp President Akio Toyoda, left, and Mazda Motor Corp President Masamichi Kogai pose for photographers prior to a press conference in Tokyo. (AP Photo)

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp and Mazda Motor Corp are set to form a capital alliance to boost joint development of electric vehicles, sources close to the matter said Friday.

Japan's largest carmaker is mulling taking a roughly 5% stake in Mazda, while Mazda may also invest in Toyota, the sources said.

The two automakers are expected to announce the plan later in the day. Toyota is scheduled to release its earnings results for the April-June period in the afternoon.

Global carmakers are facing growing costs to comply with stricter emission and other environmental regulations. Toyota and Mazda decided to deepen their partnership to survive the intensifying competition for developing the self-driving technology and environment-friendly vehicles, the sources said.

Toyota is aiming to fully enter the EV market by 2020 and Mazda aims to start selling EVs in the United States in 2019. The two companies are likely to cooperate in the US market, possibly launching a joint venture in the United States to build a large factory capable of producing up to 300,000 sports utility vehicles, according to the sources.

In 2015, the two carmakers announced that they would expand their partnership to cooperate in developing environmentally friendly and safe-driving technology.

Toyota has fallen to third place in global sales in the first six months of 2017 behind Germany's Volkswagen group, with the Renault-Nissan alliance becoming the world's top auto seller for the first time after its addition of Mitsubishi Motors Corp.

The capital tie-up between Toyota and Mazda indicates the auto industry could still see more reorganization in the face of tougher competition in developing new technologies.

The influence of technology firms in the industry has also grown with Google Inc. entering the race to develop automated car technology while US electric vehicle maker Tesla Motors Inc is showing rapid growth. Chinese rivals are also becoming a threat to Toyota.

Mazda is known for its strength in car designs and diesel engines, but has seen slow progress in developing technologies for self-driving cars and green vehicles.

Through a capital tie-up, the two automakers are aiming to cover for each other's weak points to become a leader in next-generation technology and establish a stable revenue base.

Toyota has been forging alliances with domestic rivals in an effort to boost competitiveness. In 2016, Toyota made Daihatsu Motor Co, which has strength in minivehicles, a wholly owned subsidiary. Toyota has also invested in Subaru Corp and Isuzu Motors Ltd, while it is currently mulling a tie-up with Suzuki Motor Corp.

Toyota, Mazda to form alliance for joint EV development

"Toyota has been forging alliances with domestic rivals in an effort to boost competitiveness. In 2016, Toyota made Daihatsu Motor Co, which has strength in minivehicles, a wholly owned subsidiary. Toyota has also invested in Subaru Corp and Isuzu Motors Ltd, while it is currently mulling a tie-up with Suzuki Motor Corp."

Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi may be able to survive.

The rest of the Japanese automakers will eventually become subsidiaries of Toyota.

JGM. Japan General Motors. Or NGM Nippon General Motors.

Reactions: hiroshiy