Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that 500 locations or 500 individual chargers? The vagueness of most of the industry about their EV expansion and support plans is annoying.

Porsche to deploy a network of 500 EV charging stations in North America in time for Mission E next year

Fred got clarification.

500 stations not individual chargepoints. 189 at Porsche USA dealerships the rest scattered among the interstates.

May also have slow charge destination chargers like Tesla.

These are for profit. So Porsche dealers will have no problem letting out of town Mission E owners charge there because they are making a profit on the charging.

May also include adapters for Teslas to use. Sell you on a Porsche Mission E in their customer lounge will you wait. They will be more expensive than Superchargers,obviously, and you won't be able to charge at 350 kWh but in a pinch better than 50 kWh CHAdeMO if no Superchargers around.

Porsche starts taking reservations with deposits for the Mission E in Norway

Porsche is taking kr 20k ( ~$2500) reservations for the Mission E in Norway.

In any event there will be 500 locations even if only one charger at each location (which I doubt).

Not 500 individual chargers distributed among US Porsche dealers.

Given that "locations" was used separately from "chargers", I'm not sure we really know that.

If there's one charger per location, there's going to be congestion issues at some.

If there's more than 1 at some sites, and 500 "chargers" is the real metric, there will be fewer locations.

Given that "locations" was used separately from "chargers", I'm not sure we really know that.

If there's one charger per location, there's going to be congestion issues at some.

If there's more than 1 at some sites, and 500 "chargers" is the real metric, there will be fewer locations.

If you want to split hairs ad infinitum that is your choice.

As Mission E reservations come in they can adjust on the go.

If you think Porsche PLANS to humiliate themselves go right ahead.

If you want to split hairs ad infinitum that is your choice.

As Mission E reservations come in they can adjust on the go.

If you think Porsche PLANS to humiliate themselves go right ahead.

Pointing out the assertion of 500 locations isn't supported by that data isn't splitting hairs. It's a practical part of how useful a charging infrastructure is.

There are lots of Nissan dealerships, and other charging networks with one charger at many locations. That's often at issue. As is the location.

I sincerely doubt Porsche plans to fail. But we've also seen other networks that are impractical for a real travel network. Don't rule out well-intentioned ineptitude.

So, given that most marketing announcements are fond of "bigger numbers", I suspect that if they really meant 2,000 chargers at 500 locations, they would have said so. But they didn't.. so 500 single chargers, or less than 500 locations are quite likely.

so 500 single chargers, or less than 500 locations are quite likely.

It is highly unlikely.

Nissan is a city car. It does not compete directly with Tesla. Porsche will be competing directly with Tesla.

Porsche specifically mentions enabling long distance travel. It mentions possible destination chargers. It sees what the competition is doing,i.e. Tesla, and what it needs to do to compete.

500 single chargers surpasses basic ineptitude into self sabotage.

Self sabotage was possible strategy before Tesla. So legacy automakers could say there is no profitable demand for electric vehicles, only an ultra niche segment with no economies of scale. So please auto regulators don't make us build BEVs nobody wants.

Tesla has blown that argument to smithereens.

Reactions: hiroshiy
So, given that most marketing announcements are fond of "bigger numbers", I suspect that if they really meant 2,000 chargers at 500 locations, they would have said so. But they didn't.. so 500 single chargers, or less than 500 locations are quite likely.

I totally agree with this, but maybe, just maybe, they're being deliberately ambiguous to gauge customer expectations? After all, they're deploying the chargers before the sale of the mission E, and they're trying to balance capex versus customer wants-vs-needs?

Reactions: Ugliest1
Porsche to deploy a network of 500 EV charging stations in North America in time for Mission E next year

Fred got clarification.

500 stations not individual chargepoints. 189 at Porsche USA dealerships the rest scattered among the interstates.

May also have slow charge destination chargers like Tesla.

These are for profit. So Porsche dealers will have no problem letting out of town Mission E owners charge there because they are making a profit on the charging.

May also include adapters for Teslas to use. Sell you on a Porsche Mission E in their customer lounge will you wait. They will be more expensive than Superchargers,obviously, and you won't be able to charge at 350 kWh but in a pinch better than 50 kWh CHAdeMO if no Superchargers around.

Porsche starts taking reservations with deposits for the Mission E in Norway

Porsche is taking kr 20k ( ~$2500) reservations for the Mission E in Norway.

You are assuming they will have CHAdeMO plugs. VW/Porsche are 100% CCS, so it is very likely (almost certain) that these Porsche stations will be CCS only. Why would Porsche waste money adding CHAdeMO plugs their owners can't use. So sorry Leafs/Teslas with adapters, no chargey for you!

Hello Buick Enspire! Model Y, you have some competition! At least in China. If it makes it to production.
1523984573506.jpg

Buick Enspire Electric SUV Debuts With 370-Mile Range

Enspire All-Electric Concept SUV Debuts in China

Sculptural beauty meets advanced battery electric technology in Chinese concept SUV

WUZHEN, China — The Buick Enspire all-electric concept SUV, an exploration of Buick’s bold design ideas and innovative technologies for future mobility, made its global debut in China. Key features include:

Experience Features:

Exterior feature lines and advanced aerodynamics accentuate the exterior’s strong, sculptural look.
A “surround skyline” interior theme and suspended theater-type seating give the Enspire a bright and spacious interior.
The center console and armrests are made from natural wood grain and microfiber suede.
Cutting-edge technologies include an OLED display screen and an intelligent augmented reality technology-based head-up display system.
5G super high-speed network concept.
Performance Features:

Buick’s eMotion electric propulsion technology generates a maximum power of 410 kW, enabling the concept to sprint from 0-60 mph in 4 seconds.
The Enspire is able to travel up to 370 miles on a single charge.
Supports both fast and wireless charging — the battery can be charged to 80 percent of capacity within 40 minutes.
The Enspire all-electric concept SUV will be on display at Auto China 2018 in Beijing from April 25 to May 4.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Audi proves it can make a great EV.........video

My, my. I'm usually better than this. I first took your comment at face value, essentially missing the "video" meaning thinking it was just a note that the following was a video. So I actually watched the video. Since "proves" didn't make sense, I re-looked at your comment. NOW I get it. Well done!! :)

Audi proves it can make a great EV.........video

And informing the other discussion in this thread, that's a two-vehicle charge station. More generally, I think this is the first Tesla competitor. Porsche has its ICE albatross around its neck as it begins this journey, but the world is REALLY hungry for good electric cars. That hunger made Elon's Secret Plan possible, and I won't be surprised if Porsche is surprised by how well the car is received. There's plenty of room in the market.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
Tesla did shake up the sports car makers with the Performance versions of the S/X. Porsche of course is part of Volkswagen Group which is adopting electric cars in all their brands, but Porsche specifically has had their rep tarnished by a three row family SUV that can beat many of its cars in a drag race. It takes really over engineering an ICE for performance sacrificing almost everything else to beat what Tesla has done with a couple of family cars.

The top of the line Dodge (they have several muscle cars now, I can't keep them straight) is the best production drag car available, but that will be beaten soon by a 600 mile range sports car from Tesla that is probably a more practical everyday car than the Dodge drag only focused car.

Of course ICE are still better for prolonged fast driving (race track speeds), but the Autobahn is about the only place in the world where a regular driver might open their car up to 150 mph for an extended period of time. Instead most sports car drivers will only experience the performance their cars can deliver in short bursts and the advantages of an electric are much more obvious there. Going with an electric sports car about the only thing the average sports car driver is going to miss is the exhaust note.

The sports car companies see their future depends on electrifying their lineup and making something better than Tesla or at least on par. Companies like Porsche do have the advantage of designing sports cars longer than Tesla and Porsche's quality control is among the best in the world.

Tesla might lose out on the top tier sports car market, but while that was an early focus, it was ultimately a sideshow in Tesla's road map to the future. I'm sure Tesla would like to eat both VW's and Porsche's lunch in the EV world, but if they could only beat them in one arena, I'm sure they would prefer to be the EV world's VW rather than the top EV sports car maker. That furthers the goal of sustainable transportation much better than concentrating on the top end.

Tesla did shake up the sports car makers with the Performance versions of the S/X. Porsche of course is part of Volkswagen Group which is adopting electric cars in all their brands, but Porsche specifically has had their rep tarnished by a three row family SUV that can beat many of its cars in a drag race. It takes really over engineering an ICE for performance sacrificing almost everything else to beat what Tesla has done with a couple of family cars.

The top of the line Dodge (they have several muscle cars now, I can't keep them straight) is the best production drag car available, but that will be beaten soon by a 600 mile range sports car from Tesla that is probably a more practical everyday car than the Dodge drag only focused car.

Of course ICE are still better for prolonged fast driving (race track speeds), but the Autobahn is about the only place in the world where a regular driver might open their car up to 150 mph for an extended period of time. Instead most sports car drivers will only experience the performance their cars can deliver in short bursts and the advantages of an electric are much more obvious there. Going with an electric sports car about the only thing the average sports car driver is going to miss is the exhaust note.

The sports car companies see their future depends on electrifying their lineup and making something better than Tesla or at least on par. Companies like Porsche do have the advantage of designing sports cars longer than Tesla and Porsche's quality control is among the best in the world.

Tesla might lose out on the top tier sports car market, but while that was an early focus, it was ultimately a sideshow in Tesla's road map to the future. I'm sure Tesla would like to eat both VW's and Porsche's lunch in the EV world, but if they could only beat them in one arena, I'm sure they would prefer to be the EV world's VW rather than the top EV sports car maker. That furthers the goal of sustainable transportation much better than concentrating on the top end.

Sports car makers do not really understand the market fully. People spending in the low 6 figures want a car that is extremely quick, and will corner and brake reasonably well, but they aren't going to track the car or drive 200mph. Prior to Tesla marketing, folks talked more about 1/4 ETs and 'Ring times than 0-60 mph times, which was a stroke of genius by Tesla. Sports cars that were not AWD had been traction impaired for 20 years, by focusing on the 0-60 mph times, the Tesla was superior for the average performance car buyer than cars costing several times as much.

Why don't many folk track their $$$ sportscars? Because to do it safely, it requires you to cage the car and make other modifications that make it useless for the street. They are trailer queens once you put in the required safety equipment. If the Tesla Roadster runs 9's or is tracked by a sane person, they will have to destroy the interior of the car to use it on closed courses.

But if you are into performance cars for sport, Tesla is going to have a tough time of it. The automakers are in 'rick-measuring' contest, and it continues unabated.

You think a Dodge Demon is quick? This is a 2013 production Chevrolet as sold: FF to 0:50

It's sold for drag racing. It is not the fastest version. It's the naturally aspired '456hp' model.
IIRC, they started selling them in 2012? You need a full cage, fire system, and parachute to run. We have hit the wall again, and this time I don't think they will move it. We were kicked off the dragstrip for running a stock production car 11.95 in 2002. We had to put a rollbar in it before returning. They moved that first to 11.50, then to 10.000. Do you really want to be in a car at 140 mph and roll it when the car in the next lane breaks and runs into you? Even with a cage, parachute, firesuit, and fire system, it's going to be memorable (knock on wood).

So we've hit a safety barrier with cars. Nobody would have believed it in 2000.
But most people aren't going to use their cars that way. They want the car but they do not want to drive it at it's true limits.

Last edited:
Wow they put 15in screen on the charger? I think that's a big mistake and shows how they don't understand EVs.

LCD screens will be damaged because charging stations are usually open 24/7 and unattended. If it doesn't have physical buttons on the sides, the touchscreen will wear out because people use hard objects to operate the screen.

No display solution such as Tesla Supercharger is good. If they want EV drivers to push some buttons then they should just use buttons and LED inducators with some ambient lighting.