Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was there any mention of 4680 cells in the new production volumes, or are LG still focusing on 2170s for GigaShanghai MY ramp up?
I have found conflicting information, perhaps because the decisions are being held closely.
FWIW, as @Jeff N noted above, there are quality control issues with some LG pouch cell production in China. As most fo us know, pouch cells have had many more quality control and component instability issues, including fires, than cylindrical cells have done in recent years. It seems that rapid production increases have had quality problems for several manufacturers. Have any of them been as prevalent statistically as ICE fires? Probably not, but we haven't definitive evidence one way or the other on an industry-wide basis. That will undoubtably come soon.

GM has a substantial battery R&D lab in Warren, Michigan. Here are a couple of the several battery-related open job listings posted this month:
Jobs at GM – GM Careers

Agreed, this is promising...but note the dates these were posted. Goog to see a beginning: Battery Researcher in Warren, Michigan, United States of America | Research & Development at GENERAL MOTORS
GM job postings.png

Reactions: Jeff N
I have read in a couple of places that Hyundai Ioniq 5 will have space saver seats. Like the original Chevy Bolt.

2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric car revealed: price, specs and release date | carwow
The Fully Charged "review" (more a walk-through with pictures/video) highlighted the thin seats and showed pictures. So it seems pretty much a given they are space-effective. If they are comfortable as well is open for debate, half the Tesla seats even are not compatible with my back.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Can you see an archive of jobs that have been filled? If not, it seems reasonable that you’d only see recently posted jobs that are still open.
No archive, but from the looks of the JDs these are more entry level so they seem to be building out there team. Here's to hoping they'll have something to show soon. I'm happy to read reviews!

Here is the GM public positioning:
GM to double size of automotive battery lab in Michigan
from a year ago:
General Motors and DTE Energy are Making Michigan a Clean Energy Powerhouse \in case somebody misses this. DTE is the former Detroit Edison.
The Warren tech center has been there since Eero Saarinen designed it, completed in ~1949. It was historically very close to GM Tech (now Kettering University, named after Charles Kettering founder of Delco and GM's tech star in the 1940's). They have at both places produced many innovations, some consequential. The current GM hope is to rekindle some of the old Kettering magic.
Pushing the Limits of Transportation & Technology
(for the GM tech center pages)
From all my posts you all know I am critical of GM. On the other hand I did lots of work for them and know a number of senior GM people. They are invariably well-meaning but they also are insular. A number of the most senior executives have cycled through GM Brazil, where GM has the largest selling vehicles and lead the market against all comers. It is their pride.
Despite GM Tech Center accomplishments they consistently have outsourced most production, testing and component engineering, often to Tier One. That continuing practice frequently has hampered their results. It remains to be seen if GM actually achieves the internal EV technologies they seek. As usual their first step is to build a gigantic building.

Disclosure: I have both family, childhood and professional connections to GM, so I am definitely biased.

Keep in mind that the LG Tech and GM Tech are 15 minutes from each other. That was not accidental. Between the two there is a substantial cross-pollination (if you like it) or inbreeding (if you do not). Both have many very competent people, but competence is often insufficient to overcome the bureaucracy.

GM used to satisfy CAFE obligations by selling itty bitty cars with itty bitty engines at very big loses.

So, what a change. Now in 3032 the GM Chinese JV SGMW is just barely outselling Tesla by selling itty-itty-bitty microvans, almost all of them in China. Remember how Buick survived as a brand due to sales in China and ended out selling the Buick Envision in the US, even asked for duty exemption from the Trump administration.

FWIW, I like the Envision, despite being an ICE. It has a sprightly response, handled really well for a small SUV. Of course it is built on the same platform as the Malibu, Regal, XT-4 and, for the moment, the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia (those two will soon yield to a Stellantis EV oriented platform, mostly likely the eCMP).

When considering Tesla competition the ability of the eCMP and eVMP platforms to deliver economies of scale while allowing Jeep, Maserati, Alfa, Opel, Vauxhall, Fiat, Peugeot and Citroën to have unique positioning. There are huge questions about how and whether they can achieve all this. Tavares insists they can go all-electric by 2025. That will be a gigantic challenge even if he counts PHEV, as he probably is.

On the other hand the whole world thought he'd fail at making Opel and Vauxhall profitable, but he did.

So, what a change. Now in 3032 the GM Chinese JV SGMW is just barely outselling Tesla by selling itty-itty-bitty microvans, almost all of them in China.

1) Biggest difference is GM is selling those micro EVs at a small profit instead of huge losses.

2) There seems to be organic demand for micro cars in China. Whereas in the US you need massive discounts below cost to bribe Americans into buying micro cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
2) There seems to be organic demand for micro cars in China. Whereas in the US you need massive discounts below cost to bribe Americans into buying micro cars.

As a Smart Fortwo EV owner, agree, without $13000 rebate in Ontario, I wouldn't have bought my Smart at MSRP close to Ioniq, Leaf, etc.
I do wish a small quick and fun to drive convertible EV would be released on the market, something Mazda Miata like but pure BEV.

UBS Tears Down VW ID.3: 'Most Credible EV Effort' By Legacy Carmakers

The story is written by Tesla fudster Gustavo Ruffo but he is quoting a UBS report. UBS tore down a VW ID.3 and says it is fully cost competitive with Tesla products and believes it will achieve a 15% profit margin by their metrics. 15% profit is comparable to an ICE Golf.