Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW I messed up my previous post. It shouldn't have included the bz4x quote. It was a reply to JRP3's comment on the baby pickup. Should have been more like:

Smaller than the Ford Maverick.

I like it, but if history is any indication if they do build it it won't look that good.
But at least you'll look much more manly standing next to it than next to a sedan like the Model 3.
My comment was a reference to Chevrolet's "Real People" commercial in which they asked women and children to compare a couple of silhouette images with a man standing next to a pickup and a man standing next to a sedan.

Later Barra tried to tell congress that they can't meet ambitious fuel economy goals because people want pick-ups.

So, they literally spent money encouraging people to get a pick-up instead of a sedan and then told Congress it was just natural market demand.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
So, they literally spent money encouraging people to get a pick-up instead of a sedan and then told Congress it was just natural market demand.

Those commercials aren't why Americans buy 3-4M pickups every year. Most on TMC insist automotive commercials have virtually no bearing on demand.

Those commercials aren't why Americans are willing to spend $5k more on average for a pickup than a sedan.

Detroit spent years advertising fuel sippers. Demand would spike along with fuel price spikes but otherwise Americans buy very few and demand very low prices for those fuel sippers. That is why 90% of Ford and GM profits are on pickups and full size body on frame SUVs.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Those commercials aren't why Americans buy 3-4M pickups every year. Most on TMC insist automotive commercials have virtually no bearing on demand.

Those commercials aren't why Americans are willing to spend $5k more on average for a pickup than a sedan.

Detroit spent years advertising fuel sippers. Demand would spike along with fuel price spikes but otherwise Americans buy very few and demand very low prices for those fuel sippers. That is why 90% of Ford and GM profits are on pickups and full size body on frame SUVs.

Certainly the willingness to pay more for a pick-up or SUV is why companies _want_ to sell them. Ford had a $4k premium for its pumped-up Fiesta. It seems that in people's heads vehicle cost is proportional to size.

So companies are obviously happy to feed the image of pick-up=manly. Never seen them try efficiency=patriotic though.

Certainly the willingness to pay more for a pick-up or SUV is why companies _want_ to sell them. Ford had a $4k premium for its pumped-up Fiesta. It seems that in people's heads vehicle cost is proportional to size.

So companies are obviously happy to feed the image of pick-up=manly. Never seen them try efficiency=patriotic though.

Companies want to sell them because people want to buy them. Not the reverse in a free open capitalist economy. If Detroit doesn't sell Americans what they want they will buy from Japan Inc, Germany Inc, or S Korea Inc.

Buy something to be a good citizen. Explain why buying product A is good for America and good for the world over product B that is sexy/desirable doesn't work. For 1 it is too complex to do a convincing job in 30 second spots. The do gooders will already buy that product.

Like a subset of Tesla owners and the Republican "Prius Patriots" of the aughties.

Love of larger vehicles is baked into American society at this point. After WW II most of the world found that they could jack up the taxes on gasoline and people would still buy it. The only developed country that is as spread out as the US is Canada and they have almost identical car buying patterns to the US. Australia has a lot of open spaces, but virtually all the population lives in a few large cities. Australia is one of the most urbanized countries on Earth. All European countries are much more tightly packed than the US and all are small compared to North American countries.

As a result of being packed tightly, it's economically feasible to have an extensive passenger rail network with buses running in between. Passenger rail doesn't economically pay off until the population reaches a certain density. Same thing with a lower threshold for bus service. The cores of most US cities are dense enough to run light rail around the city, but the cities are too spread apart in a lot of the US for reasonable intercity passenger rail. The only fast way to get between many US cities is by air, but with the interstate highway system, getting there by car is feasible if you want to take the time.

So Americans desired big cars because gas was dirt cheap and the country is spread out. Long road trips in a small car if you're tall can be literally painful.

Americans swapped out their large sedans for pickups and SUVs starting in the 90s. The truck based vehicles had the advantage of being up higher so visibility was better. Thinking of my immediate neighbors we're the only ones who don't have some kind of truck-like vehicle. Some are smaller, two neighbors have 4Runners (one has one and the other had 2) and one has a small Jeep, but one has a full sized pickup and an SUV, another has a Yukon, and a third has an Explorer and a 4Runner. We have an Impreza and my Model S.

My partner likes small cars. She had a first generation Outback, but thought the newer Outbacks had gotten too big. She might go for a good quality EV that was about the size of the Impreza (and not sold by GM). She's interested in the Model 2 if it ever happens.

But my partner is the exception on the street. I have very long legs so I need a car with good legroom which rules out most smaller cars. My partners Impreza is tolerable for short distances, but we made a long road trip with it once and my back hurt for a week afterwards.

Americans are driving trucks because that's what replaced the large sedan.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Companies want to sell them because people want to buy them. Not the reverse in a free open capitalist economy. If Detroit doesn't sell Americans what they want they will buy from Japan Inc, Germany Inc, or S Korea Inc.

Buy something to be a good citizen. Explain why buying product A is good for America and good for the world over product B that is sexy/desirable doesn't work. For 1 it is too complex to do a convincing job in 30 second spots. The do gooders will already buy that product.

Like a subset of Tesla owners and the Republican "Prius Patriots" of the aughties.

I'm with the others. I think a significant fraction of the country actually are swayed by the "bright and shiny" marketing. I've spent enough time trying to educate my friends and family to know about marketings effects, especially Toyota's "self-charging EV's".

Reactions: 30seconds

GM has agreed to an equity investment of $650 million tied to a supply agreement with Lithium Americas. It marks the largest investment in history by an automaker specifically for battery raw materials and makes GM Lithium America's largest investor. Not only will the deal ensure that the US automaker has a working supply of lithium for its large portfolio of EVs, but also that those vehicles will likely be able to benefit from the full, revamped $7,500 US federal EV tax credit since the materials will be mined in the US.

$650m is 43.3% of what Tesla spent on buying Bitcoin.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ and navguy12
In what time frame? The daily low, weekly...?
They have to log the impairment once a quarter. It is either against the lowest close in the quarter, or the lowest intraday in the quarter, I don't think we know which. (Not that it really matters.) But they can't recognize any gains in the quarter unless they sell, so the impairment is a one way trip down.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo and JRP3

The Ioniq 6 (SE RWD trim, at least) will get an estimated 140 MPGe, making it among the most "fuel efficient" vehicles on the market - tied with the Lucid Air (Pure & Touring), per fueleconomy.gov.

This is...bad? Weren't they forecasting 300-mile range?

I mean, I get there aren't really a ton of sub-$100k 3-row EVs on the market or coming out in the next year or so - basically the Model Y if you want to add the 3rd row (but the dimensions don't really make a lot of sense if you want to use the trunk or have anyone over 5 feet sitting in that 3rd row), the ID.Buzz (in the U.S., at least...2024 I think?), the Rivian R1S, Mercedes EQB/EQS, the VinFast VF9 (though it may eventually top out near $100k), and the sister to the EV9, the Hyundai Ioniq 7.

This is...bad? Weren't they forecasting 300-mile range?

I mean, I get there aren't really a ton of sub-$100k 3-row EVs on the market or coming out in the next year or so - basically the Model Y if you want to add the 3rd row (but the dimensions don't really make a lot of sense if you want to use the trunk or have anyone over 5 feet sitting in that 3rd row), the ID.Buzz (in the U.S., at least...2024 I think?), the Rivian R1S, Mercedes EQB/EQS, the VinFast VF9 (though it may eventually top out near $100k), and the sister to the EV9, the Hyundai Ioniq 7.
Also the Lyriq, although GM is struggling to ramp production.