Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VW seems to be really hurting:

Can they really be short that many chips, or is that just an excuse to try to lower costs? (Their heat pumps didn't really offer any benefit, so it was just wasted money.)
I don't think automakers make these parts; they buy them. So it's a supply chain problem, potentially caused by suppliers' lack of chips, or maybe not.

Crazy how underreported this increadible change is. China went from 750k to 2.5M in two years, taking them from like 1/7 of Japan to ~equal to japan. And this is TTM which lags...

Would be interesting to see

Profits for Chinese made Teslas.

Profits made in premium category by Chinese made domestic brands.

Profits made by Chinese branded sub $17k cars before VAT.

My guess is a lot of those Chinese exports are of the cheap kind selling at 3% margin or less.

• Informative
Reactions: nativewolf

Toyota's bZ3, co-developed with BYD, is out for pre-sales in China now.

-announced October 2022
-Launches May 31, 2023
-372 mile range
-starts around $27k USD

That range figure is CLTC, which is notoriously "optimistic". For reference, the made-in-china model 3 SR (short-range) is 342 miles CLTC, but only 267 miles EPA.

It's a great price, but only for residents of china. The EPA range should be around 285 miles, but not sure if it will ever reach US shores.

Edit: typo'd EPA range as 275.

Reactions: transpondster
Crazy how underreported this increadible change is. China went from 750k to 2.5M in two years, taking them from like 1/7 of Japan to ~equal to japan. And this is TTM which lags...
How much of that is Tesla exporting from Shanghai ? Anyway - an interesting trend to watch. So far China has been unable to export cars to US ... will have to see if anyone tries.

I see somewhat of a similar trend in Chinese branded phones. Hardly any presence in US - but quite popular world over (like Redmi). No wonder US lawmakers (and I guess lobbyists) are aggressively going after Chinese companies because of "security concerns".

How much of that is Tesla exporting from Shanghai ?
Tesla exported about 270k cars from Shanghai last year.

I'm a bit surprised, because I thought the offerings from Kia and Hyundai were pretty compelling. But I guess this is what happens between losing the tax credit and Tesla dropping prices: US: Kia EV6 Sales Decreased 39% In February 2023
Hyundai Ioniq 5 sales exceeded 2k in February, the first time since last summer. I don't pay much attention to monthly US numbers. Global car companies are focused on Europe and China, with tough quotas and resulting large markets. US is an afterthought, a place to dabble and occasionally dump leftovers.

Reactions: EVNow
How much of that is Tesla exporting from Shanghai ? Anyway - an interesting trend to watch. So far China has been unable to export cars to US ... will have to see if anyone tries.

I see somewhat of a similar trend in Chinese branded phones. Hardly any presence in US - but quite popular world over (like Redmi). No wonder US lawmakers (and I guess lobbyists) are aggressively going after Chinese companies because of "security concerns".

I believe there have been some ICE exported from China to the US over the years. I recall reading about a Buick SUV that was Chinese made several years ago. As yet there haven't been any EVs that I know of though.

All buicks are made in china
The Encores they sell in North America are made in Korea. Enclaves are made in Detroit.

I think GM still brings a few Chevy and/or Caddy models in from China, but the 27.5% Trump tariff makes it difficult. Geely also ships some China-built Volvo and Polestar models to the US. Europe gets a lot more than us, though. And Australia/New Zealand is heading toward 100% Chinese cars.

1) The last Chinese made Caddy was the CT6 PHEV.

2) The least expensive Chevys, the Trax and Trailblazer, are made in South Korea. No US market Chinese made Chevy.

3) Biden reversed almost all Trump executive orders. He kept the 27.5% tariff. That is a US/Biden tariff now.

4) The 25% Chinese tariff on standard US made cars and 100% tariff on US made luxury cars makes it difficult to export US made cars to China.