Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian Q1 P&D are out.

9,395 produced
7,946 delivered

Can't find a consensus for a single quarter, but 50k expected for 2023. Might be achievable with Q1 being seasonally poor?

Q1 2023 BYD vs Tesla
(As usual, NEV includes hybrids see BYD Mar sales breakdown: Qin 40,850, Song 40,510 for model breakdown)
2023040302402419.jpg

Tesla delivers record 422,875 vehicles globally in Q1

Reactions: petit_bateau
EQS 580SUV range is listed as 285 miles by Mercedes.

Tesla and Lucid run the 5 cycle EPA test and try to publish the biggest number they can.

Almost everyone else runs the much cheaper to do 2 cycle EPA test.

Most other OEMs post conservative EPA ranges and try to under promise and over deliver.

EV buyers from traditional OEMs will rate their BEVs very poorly in consumer surveys if real world range doesn't match rated range.

Tesla, Lucid and Rivian buyers seem to give their cars a pass in the same surveys regarding range.

Tesla and Lucid run the 5 cycle EPA test and try to publish the biggest number they can.

Almost everyone else runs the much cheaper to do 2 cycle EPA test.

Most other OEMs post conservative EPA ranges and try to under promise and over deliver.

EV buyers from traditional OEMs will rate their BEVs very poorly in consumer surveys if real world range doesn't match rated range.

Tesla, Lucid and Rivian buyers seem to give their cars a pass in the same surveys regarding range.
Write up on the methods:
The Secret Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

Here's a fun midsize electric pickup. It's pre-production for now but if it comes in at a decent price I could see a lot of them being sold outside North America. Unfortunately it appears the company will have a long road ahead of them, even if they do claim to be the California EV maker of the year.
1681555540474.png

You can buy their stock on their website for $18.50/share until the 18th of May.
Alpha Motor | StartEngine

Another UK Brexshit sh1tshow for the UK car industry

"Ineos, the company founded and run by the British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, will build an electric version of its new Grenadier off-road vehicle in Austria.
The electric version of the 4x4 will be developed with the Canadian car parts manufacturer Magna and production is scheduled to start in 2026. The decision means that the UK has missed out on building a second Ineos vehicle, after Ratcliffe, a vocal Brexit backer who is resident in Monaco for tax purposes, chose a French factory for the original Grenadier."

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12

"In my 25 years at Ford, I've never seen anything like the passion and demand I'm seeing from drivers right now to get behind the wheel of our F-150 Lightning. I've had customers literally banging on my door and pleading for us to bring the electric pickup to Norway."

Per Gunnar Berg, managing director, Ford Norway

Here's a fun midsize electric pickup. It's pre-production for now but if it comes in at a decent price I could see a lot of them being sold outside North America. Unfortunately it appears the company will have a long road ahead of them, even if they do claim to be the California EV maker of the year.
View attachment 928587

You can buy their stock on their website for $18.50/share until the 18th of May.
Alpha Motor | StartEngine

The downside of owning an EV made by a now defunct company is probably considerably greater than with ICE. No computer in a Delorean.

I don't see how these small startups can spread their software developments costs over enough vehicles.

Even Rivian with a 12 billion IPO may not scale sufficiently to cover their overhead in their current form.

Reactions: nativewolf
The downside of owning an EV made by a now defunct company is probably considerably greater than with ICE. No computer in a Delorean.

I don't see how these small startups can spread their software developments costs over enough vehicles.

Even Rivian with a 12 billion IPO may not scale sufficiently to cover their overhead in their current form.
I figure the next owner of the Rivian is getting the benefit of a fantastic amount of investor cash. They'll be able to buy that out of bankruptcy for pennies on the dollar.

And that is how I figure Rivian gets to the scale sufficient to cover their overhead - as a part of somebody else.