Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviewers like the dynamics much better.

I haven't seen anyone else describe it as tight and cramped vs Model 3.

Everyone's perceptions are just as valid as anybody else's I guess.
I drove it for 2 days, returned it and rented a model 3. Found the 3 much more spacious and altogether a fun car to drive.

Today I did an online chat with Polestar and they told me that the Polestar 3 was in production now and that the goal was customer deliveries in April. Do you think that is true ?

They also said that starting in June the cars would include an NACS adapter for the Tesla supercharge stations.

If they come out with cars with NACS connectors by June, I think they would be the first non-Tesla cars delivered with the connectors. That might help sales a little bit.

Polestar doesn't make FWD anymore. RWD or AWD. Plus 68 hp and 30 miles of EPA range for base 2024 Polestar 2.

Just ran the comparison for the two models on EPA's site. The Wh/Mi is not as good as Tesla and the single motor is more efficient than the dual motor. The opposite of Tesla.

Compare Side-by-Side

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and mad474
Just ran the comparison for the two models on EPA's site. The Wh/Mi is not as good as Tesla and the single motor is more efficient than the dual motor. The opposite of Tesla.

Compare Side-by-Side
I don't follow the last part. Tesla single motor motor Model 3 and Y are more efficient that AWD, but come with smaller packs.
SmartSelect_20240127_074615_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20240127_074810_Firefox.jpg

I don't follow the last part. Tesla single motor motor Model 3 and Y are more efficient that AWD, but come with smaller packs.
View attachment 1012677
View attachment 1012678

OK, that's the opposite of the Model S (when the RWD version was an option), but the higher efficiency for the MY and M3 RWD probably has to do with the smaller pack. The S70D was more efficient than the S90D, but the S90D was more efficient than the S90. Now only 100 KWH and AWD is the only option for S and X with the Plaid as an upgrade with a larger rear motor (and a drop in efficiency).

I think Tesla is still better than the competition at squeezing as much energy as possible out of regen braking. That's why the dual motor versions of the S were more efficient than the single motor, even though they had the weight of the extra motor.

OK, that's the opposite of the Model S (when the RWD version was an option), but the higher efficiency for the MY and M3 RWD probably has to do with the smaller pack. The S70D was more efficient than the S90D, but the S90D was more efficient than the S90. Now only 100 KWH and AWD is the only option for S and X with the Plaid as an upgrade with a larger rear motor (and a drop in efficiency).

I think Tesla is still better than the competition at squeezing as much energy as possible out of regen braking. That's why the dual motor versions of the S were more efficient than the single motor, even though they had the weight of the extra motor.
S RWD had the higher power induction motor. AWD used an induction and a more efficient PMSR motor which it used the majority of the time. The higher motor efficiency offset the extra weight.

From today’s Toronto Star (free link to full article below):

2024 Kia EV9

The Wind RWD model gets the larger of two available batteries — 76.1kilowatt-hour (kWh) (215 horsepower, 258 pounds-feet of torque or motive force) and 99.8 kWh (379 hp, 516 lbs.-ft.) — and the weight savings of only having a single EV motor, so it gets the most range of these variants.
The most range you’re going to get with an AWD EV9, is 451 km, achieved by the Land AWD model, which will likely be the sweet spot for buyers.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Owner Satisfaction by Brand. Brands are ranked on the average percentage of owners who said in CR member surveys that they would buy the same vehicle again. Nice to see an electric brand at the top.

Rank Brand
1 Rivian
2 Mini
3 BMW
4 Porsche
5 Tesla
6 Genesis
7 Lexus
8 Subaru
9 Ram
10 Honda
11 Chevrolet
12 Toyota
13 Hyundai
14 Acura
15 Ford
16 GMC
17 Mazda
18 Volvo
19 Lincoln
20 Buick
21 Kia
22 Cadillac
23 Chrysler
24 Mercedes-Benz
25 Audi
26 Jeep
27 Nissan
28 Volkswagen
29 Infiniti

Luxury car brand at the bottom of owner satisfaction? lol

Owner Satisfaction by Brand. Brands are ranked on the average percentage of owners who said in CR member surveys that they would buy the same vehicle again. Nice to see an electric brand at the top.

Rank Brand
1 Rivian
2 Mini
3 BMW
4 Porsche
5 Tesla
6 Genesis
7 Lexus
8 Subaru
9 Ram
10 Honda
11 Chevrolet
12 Toyota
13 Hyundai
14 Acura
15 Ford
16 GMC
17 Mazda
18 Volvo
19 Lincoln
20 Buick
21 Kia
22 Cadillac
23 Chrysler
24 Mercedes-Benz
25 Audi
26 Jeep
27 Nissan
28 Volkswagen
29 Infiniti

Luxury car brand at the bottom of owner satisfaction? lol

I've read good things about Rivian. About their only drawback today is the lack of NACS connector which will be corrected within a year.

The bottom 10 have a couple of nameplates from the same company: two from Volkswagen Group, two from Nissan, two from Chrysler/Stellantis, and two from GM. A number of luxury, or upscale brands in the bottom 10 too.

Marques has love hate for Fisker Ocean. Likes the car, hates the software, because of missing features and very buggy. Reminds me of early Tesla.

While Tesla didn't manufacture its first 2450 cars Fisker has signed deals with other manufactures to manufacture their first 3 models. Fisker never plans to manufacture their cars. They plan to never own their own factory.

The vast majority of the engineering will also be done by others.

Fisker will be doing design and marketing.

Sales and service will be done by franchised auto dealers.

Fisker never plans to install their own charging network.

This is Fisker's "asset light" business model.

You create value by doing hard things not just easy things.