Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple cancels plans for electric car, code name Titan. I think this is the second time I've heard this. Will we hear it again another few years down the road?
Apple shifts focus to A.I.

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX
Apple cancels plans for electric car, code name Titan. I think this is the second time I've heard this. Will we hear it again another few years down the road?
Apple shifts focus to A.I.

I'm not surprised. Getting into the car business would have required Apple to expand into a bunch of new technologies where they have no experience. They don't "bend metal", they make computers. If someone had wanted to partner with them they could probably have developed a good MCU and OS for a car. If a legacy automaker had gotten serious about taking on Tesla early, they might have succeeded with an Apple partnership. GM or Ford could have crushed Tesla when they only had the Model S if they had combined their expertise in assembling cars with a central computer and OS that was better than Tesla's. (As well as acquiring enough batteries in the mid-20 teens to make EVs in volume.)

Critics still point out Tesla is behind the curve in things like panel gaps and basic assembly flaws most automakers solved decades ago. I don't like MacOS, it insulates the user too much from the internals (I'm a programmer and do quite a bit directly from the file tree), but I have an iPhone and a couple of iPads. Their battery management is better than Android (or was last time I used an Android device) and they tend to be more reliable. I've had the same iPhone since 2015 and it still works with no problems.

For those who hate iOS an iOS based car would probably offend them, but it probably would be better than Tesla's OS. In the 8 years I've had my Model S the quality of the software has declined. I liked the early OS layout much better than the current mess.

Reactions: fhteagle
2 years until launch, though.
It was 4 years between Cybertruck reveal and launch.

I imagine Rivian wants to build an order book and hype through social media while it builds the primary factory for R2S.

Instead of spending billions on advertising to build awareness and an order book. Doing it through social media is a slower burn.

1709671259900.png

Reactions: petit_bateau
Rivian has a long way to go to profitability, but this might be a great step in the right direction. Two days to the unveiling...

Of all the other EV makers out there I hope Rivian makes it. Their headlights are kind of weird, but otherwise they make a fairly conventional looking truck and their quality appears to be pretty good. The Cybertruck may have some good tech on the inside, but Tesla made a very ugly looking weird-mobile.

Their headlights are kind of weird, but otherwise they make a fairly conventional looking truck and their quality appears to be pretty good.

Rivian rated #28 out of 30 in the recent consumer reports reliability survey:

Tesla was #14.

Tesla was #14.

Tesla was a bottom dweller for a long time too. The first couple of years for any new car, even from an established manufacturer ranks low in reliability. Both of Rivian's vehicles are new. Tesla's fleet has been around longer.

Reviews of Rivian's fit and finish have been favorable. Better than Tesla's even after 10 years. Reviewers have also been positive about Rivian's features and usability. I expect they will work out the problems. Though it's possible they won't.

Just noticed that's CR's predicted reliability rather than reported reliability. They make those predictions based on past reliability and the newness of their fleet. Rivian having a very young fleet is going to rank very low. Tesla ranks in the middle of the pack because they have had a history of reliability problems compared to other brands.

Tesla was #14.

Rivian was Number 1 in percentage of customers who would buy again in same Consumer Reports Survey. This ranking is what Elon Musk called "the Acid Test."

1709722196131.png

RJ on R2 reservations this morning:

But I can't help but think that 68,000 R2 reservations have to represent a pretty significant number of potential customers that might have bought an R1S, delaying any Rivian purchase until 2026.
Starting at $30k less (60% the cost), R2 buyers may not have been looking at the R1S.
That's almost like Y vs X.

RJ on R2 reservations this morning:

But I can't help but think that 68,000 R2 reservations have to represent a pretty significant number of potential customers that might have bought an R1S, delaying any Rivian purchase until 2026.
Love the looks of the R2. They did so many things well on this one and then they put the charge port on the wrong side. :mad:

What the hell is wrong with these people ?

Love the looks of the R2. They did so many things well on this one and then they put the charge port on the wrong side. :mad:

The argument I see being made is that it allows easier curb-side charging; but if that were the case, they could have at least put it on the front-right fender. That way, it could pull into Superchargers forward and charge without blocking spaces.

The argument I see being made is that it allows easier curb-side charging; but if that were the case, they could have at least put it on the front-right fender. That way, it could pull into Superchargers forward and charge without blocking spaces.
Rear doesn't work for angled parking, only parallel. Front right would work for angled.

It is the prototype, they may move it for the production version. I think right front would be best. A lot of people don't like backing into parking spaces and right front would allow pulling in directly into superchargers as @mongo said.

Reactions: KJD