Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancelled reservation that I bought from a person

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta side with Tesla on this. They're trying to cut back on scalping and if their order contract states that the reservation can't be sold then anyone who sells a reservation is in default of the contract.

It they don't wan the car they reserved they can cancel the order or purchase the car when it arrives and sell it on the open market, simple as that.

Thank god Tesla is on top of this. No offense for OP, but I don't see why someone should be able to buy someone elses reservation and jump infront of me in line.

I'm especially happy to hear this because I preordered my Cybertruck a long long time ago but i'm still not even in the first 100,000 reservations. I'm hoping for a lot of cancelations from people who got multiple preorders or people that might have changed their mind due to the long wait. If all of those potential cancelations turned into "BUY MY RESERVATION AND SKIP THE YEARS OF WAITING" i'd be pissed.
I'm sure some people will try and some might get away with it, but it's nice knowing that Tesla is doing their best to mitigate this possibility.

Tesla is crafty in it’s own right prioritizing higher priced orders while continuously pushing older cheaper ones to the point of loading off reservation holders into cancelling…which is the ultimate goal.
That makes a lot of sense. That would explain why my order keeps getting pushed to the end of the line.

No one would want my reservation. They might get a somewhat lower price but they sure would not jump the line buying a reservation that keeps getting pushed to the back of the line. Price isn't relevant when you can't get the product.

Maybe if I re-order, I would get it sooner. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mswlogo
That makes a lot of sense. That would explain why my order keeps getting pushed to the end of the line.

No one would want my reservation. They might get a somewhat lower price but they sure would not jump the line buying a reservation that keeps getting pushed to the back of the line. Price isn't relevant when you can't get the product.

Maybe if I re-order, I would get it sooner. :rolleyes:

In my experience, Tesla prioritizes fully-filled out orders with personal info and financing all set. Folks selling spots in line who leave everything blank may struggle to get a good EDD...

Never said it was any type of "offense". Just stating the facts, and chuckling at the intellectual dishonesty of not being able to call it what it is.

"Another in an EV vs ice" doesn't fit this scenario either - mswlogo traded up from one Tesla to another.
The person my former EV went to might be Ice to EV. You can think of it as half full or half empty. We know what you call it. Your choice of words felt offensive to me. Oh and I’m sure Tesla is happy one less free supercharging car in the wild.

I was completely up front on why I did it and why. You can label it what ever you want.

BTW I just canceled my original order that was $7k under current price with EDD in 3 weeks. In hindsight I think the seller saw it wasn’t worth it. It was only $5k difference (so he made $2500). He also sold it thinking it would deliver in a couple weeks. But it didn’t bother me it ended up still a few months. Some ordered their car and got it in 3 weeks. Built same day they got their VIN. It was not my original choice of color (I ordered red). But I ended up with with my 3rd MSM. It’s probably the most practical color in my opinion for my life style anyway. I might not clean my car for 6 months or 6 days. But red looked so nice with the blacked out hardware. As time progressed I convinced myself I never wanted Red ;)

In my experience, Tesla prioritizes fully-filled out orders with personal info and financing all set. Folks selling spots in line who leave everything blank may struggle to get a good EDD...
I had no problem. Transfer made no difference. Had trade on it too. You have to stay on top of your order. Transferred or not. I think FSD helps move it along.

Thank god Tesla is on top of this. No offense for OP, but I don't see why someone should be able to buy someone elses reservation and jump infront of me in line.

I'm especially happy to hear this because I preordered my Cybertruck a long long time ago but i'm still not even in the first 100,000 reservations. I'm hoping for a lot of cancelations from people who got multiple preorders or people that might have changed their mind due to the long wait. If all of those potential cancelations turned into "BUY MY RESERVATION AND SKIP THE YEARS OF WAITING" i'd be pissed.
I'm sure some people will try and some might get away with it, but it's nice knowing that Tesla is doing their best to mitigate this possibility.
Guaranteed you’ll be low on the totem poll. No way I’d want first run of experimental builds. Nor be treated like they were doing me favor for the privilege to get one. I’ll pay the full price, get one with most bugs worked out and and get it in a few weeks.

Tesla prioritizes fully-filled out orders with personal info and financing all set.
That is what I gathered from reading here. So, mine has been fully filled out, with cash purchase and no trade from day one. Been bumped to the end of the line twice so far. I have no reason to think this will not continue to happen until maybe eventually they realize I don't give up.... Ever.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Guaranteed you’ll be low on the totem poll. No way I’d want first run of experimental builds. Nor be treated like they were doing me favor for the privilege to get one. I’ll pay the full price, get one with most bugs worked out and and get it in a few weeks.
You may be waiting till 2024 for that 2 weeks order buddy based on global supply chain issues ongoing and years worth of chip shortages. Just sayin 🤷🏽‍♂️

You may be waiting till 2024 for that 2 weeks order buddy based on global supply chain issues ongoing and years worth of chip shortages. Just sayin 🤷🏽‍♂️
So be it. If it’s built with different parts every quarter and built in fits and starts of production. I don’t want it.

I used to want a roadster. After my 3 year experience and understanding where Tesla is going and how they treat “early reservations” I have zero desire for a roadster. I’ll take a stable, smoother production build and pay the going price when it gets there. All you gain for early orders is stress, bugs and waiting even longer. And to top that off they will ship you old product even though you waited until refinements were put into production.

Some states don't sales tax cars. In those states, just contract to sell from ordering person, then do the swap. That way, no double car sales tax. Not perfect, but a decent work around
;)
I wouldn’t want to do it that way. Now you are 2nd owner. No trade-ins. Financing gets complicated. Also complicates things even more if there are delivery defects to get resolved. Also huge exposure if buyer backs out after account holder buys it, assuming they have the cash. Or is buyer going to hand a stranger $100K to buy the car with your cash in their name.

I did a trade while under reservation holders account.