Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter User Manual (in English) Generates Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are making an adapter to fit those cars that say they are CCS compatible. Don't worry, it will fit your car.

...The existing (South Korean) adapter does not look like it will work on Models S & X, due to the (small) size and shape of S/X charge ports and their covers. But I am surprised that Tesla would invest time and money in designing and producing an adapter that only fit Models 3 & Y charge ports. Doesn't make sense.

I also find it hard to believe that no Models S/X owner has at least tried the South Korean CCS1 adapter out. (If someone wants to mail me a CCS1 adapter from SK, I'll give it a go. :) )

I can at least vouch that the refresh X fits the EVHub CCS adapter fine...Might examine the scale and see how the Tesla CCS adapter would fit :) I lean towards being likely.

Just for the record (and for readers new to the issue), it appears that the South Korean CCS1 adapter will fit the "Classic," pre-refresh Models S & X charge port.

Reactions: FalconFour
If the older car is not CCS1 compatible according to the Information screen in your car, I don't think it matters if the adapter will "fit". Your car needs some more parts to make it work correctly.

Yep, we know that. But one step at a time. And btw, contrary to what some posts are saying in various threads, some pre-refresh Models S & X are CCS-enabled. Mine, for instance.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and scottf200
I believe early in 2020, modifications were made to enable CCS compatibility. Older models are not compatible.
Correct. My Model S has the "hardware enabled." Was manufactured in Feb 2020. But everyone concerned should look in the menu to know for sure. The claim that the adapter won't fit is just FUD. Why would Tesla add the hardware knowing it won't fit? I trust they are smarter than that. :)

Reactions: miimura
I’m curious if anyone at Tesla has estimated the economics of free or discounted retrofitting of CCS onto older cars with free supercharging. I wonder how much free supercharging they would save?
Clever twist. However, even if older cars get free CCS retrofit, they go to CCS chargers where the owner pays for charging instead of the free (to them) Tesla superchargers. The owner would certainly only do it for convenience (locally) or if they were traveling for better charging locations along their travel path.

I ordered a CCS adapter from the Tesla Korea Shop through Harumio May 3rd and it arrived at my PO Box in Alaska today, May 12th. I had not been charging my car the past week or so in anticipation of testing the adapter.
I have a 2021 "Refresh" Model S (with CCS adapter support enabled) and our town got the first DC fast-charging station in Alaska (September 2021), so I went down there to try it out. I got a total of 7.17 kWh of charge over three sessions, totaling about four minutes. No session persisted longer than 2 minutes. I can't say that it works, but I can't say that it doesn't....
I am hoping that this is a problem with the specific Freewire station, because another Alaskan has had recent success with his 2021 Model Y and a Korea Tesla Shop CCS adapter at other DCFC stations that have subsequently been installed in Alaska.
These adapters are very important to us because although we have one supercharger site, the next closest one is 1855 miles away in Prince George, BC. There are several DCFC stations along the route however, and a working adapter would shave at least three days off the drive south, something I have done before, and plan to do again this summer...I am not alone, but all of us up here realize that we are a tiny market segment...

Bought the adapter from Korea with Harumio before my Florida-Newfoundland trip. Delivered in two weeks, works perfect. I drove 5000 km and only 4000 were covered with superchargers as well as NL itself. Average charging speed is 60-70 kW per hour because of the station limits although I've seen 118 kW once.
PXL_20220429_011545230.jpg

I ordered a CCS adapter from the Tesla Korea Shop through Harumio May 3rd and it arrived at my PO Box in Alaska today, May 12th. I had not been charging my car the past week or so in anticipation of testing the adapter.
I have a 2021 "Refresh" Model S (with CCS adapter support enabled) and our town got the first DC fast-charging station in Alaska (September 2021), so I went down there to try it out. I got a total of 7.17 kWh of charge over three sessions, totaling about four minutes. No session persisted longer than 2 minutes. I can't say that it works, but I can't say that it doesn't....
I am hoping that this is a problem with the specific Freewire station, because another Alaskan has had recent success with his 2021 Model Y and a Korea Tesla Shop CCS adapter at other DCFC stations that have subsequently been installed in Alaska.
These adapters are very important to us because although we have one supercharger site, the next closest one is 1855 miles away in Prince George, BC. There are several DCFC stations along the route however, and a working adapter would shave at least three days off the drive south, something I have done before, and plan to do again this summer...I am not alone, but all of us up here realize that we are a tiny market segment...
Glad it's for sale in N America now, and I'm happy to report that I've had success with mine (2021 Model S refresh, CCS adapter support enabled) at every other station I've tried (unless there was a known problem with the station for everybody!)