Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS Combo 1 Adapter User Manual (in English) Generates Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look forward to having this CCS1 adapter when it comes to the Tesla accessories store.

This is what I see on my Model S:
IMG_2441-B.jpg

I have a similar "Enabled" information on my Model Y

Reactions: kayak1 and Araman0
That's really a shame. :( I could get an adapter for a plasma cutter and connect it and it'll work fine. a DC fast charging adapter is not possible? :(
To be clear, it is possible and has been done, but not in a way that you can actually easily get one right now. Tesla has a first party adapter, but still isn't currently selling it in the US. Supply or something. If you can find somebody in South Korea to order one for you and then ship it along, you may be able to get one if they don't figure out your VIN is from the US and cancel the order. EVHub has a third-party adapter, but their plant is in Kyiv and they started having production problems a month or two ago (stay safe @AlexUA ).

Reactions: jsight
To be clear, it is possible and has been done, but not in a way that you can actually easily get one right now. Tesla has a first party adapter, but still isn't currently selling it in the US. Supply or something. If you can find somebody in South Korea to order one for you and then ship it along, you may be able to get one if they don't figure out your VIN is from the US and cancel the order. EVHub has a third-party adapter, but their plant is in Kyiv and they started having production problems a month or two ago (stay safe @AlexUA ).
Don't you some special computer only available in new Teslas in order to use a CCS combo adapter?

Don't you some special computer only available in new Teslas in order to use a CCS combo adapter?
ala (similar to) ...
The CCS2 adapter was introduced in 2019, but it works only with Model S/X manufactured from May 1, 2019.
Older Model S/X were required to visit service center for a €500 retrofit (including adapter).
Using the CCS2 adapter, the S/X can charge at up to 142 kW.

Yeah, the charge control ECU needs to be swapped with one that "speaks CCS". There's apparently retrofit kits coming:

However, @FalconFour has been working on a DIY retrofit option:

I don't know if anyone's yet tested if the official CCS adapter fits on Model S/Y yet.

Reactions: FalconFour
...I don't know if anyone's yet tested if the official CCS adapter fits on Model S/Y yet.

I keep wondering (and writing) about that. (I have a Model X.) The existing (South Korean) adapter does not look like it will work on Models S & X, due to the (small) size and shape of S/X charge ports and their covers. But I am surprised that Tesla would invest time and money in designing and producing an adapter that only fit Models 3 & Y charge ports. Doesn't make sense.

I also find it hard to believe that no Models S/X owner has at least tried the South Korean CCS1 adapter out. (If someone wants to mail me a CCS1 adapter from SK, I'll give it a go. :) )

Last edited:
I keep wondering (and writing) about that. (I have a Model X.) The existing (South Korean) adapter does not look like it will work on Models S & X, due to the (small) size and shape of S/X charge ports and their covers. But I am surprised that Tesla would invest time and money in designing and producing an adapter that only fit Models 3 & Y charge ports. Doesn't make sense.

I also find it hard to believe that no Models S/X owner has at least tried the South Korean CCS1 adapter out. (If someone wants to mail me a CCS1 adapter from SK, I'll give it a go. :) )
I think the new charge port would work. Isn't it a bit bigger?

I was not aware that the refreshed Models S and X had bigger charge ports. True?

In the Post #50 photo, notice how the charge-port cover door opens roughly straight out (not flat like on Models 3 & Y), perpendicular to the side of the car. I don't know for sure, but the South Korean CCS1 adapter is big and wide and the cover-door may block it's use on Models S & X. We'll see. Furthermore, where is that thin lock-pin thing going to hit--on the car's painted surface? If so, not good. In support of all this, why is the South Korean adapter only for Models 3 & Y there?

I hope my fears are groundless, as I would like to get a CCS1 adapter for my car.

I was not aware that the refreshed Models S and X had bigger charge ports. True?

In the Post #50 photo, notice how the charge-port cover door opens roughly straight out (not flat like on Models 3 & Y), perpendicular to the side of the car. I don't know for sure, but the South Korean CCS1 adapter is big and wide and the cover-door may block it's use on Models S & X. We'll see. Furthermore, where is that thin lock-pin thing going to hit--on the car's painted surface? If so, not good. In support of all this, why is the South Korean adapter only for Models 3 & Y there?

I hope my fears are groundless, as I would like to get a CCS1 adapter for my car.
Electrify America's doing free charging for Earth Day. Someplace like NY or CA or someplace where a bunch of Tesla owners can get together and somebody has managed to get the SK adapter in should pick a charger to meet at and try it with as many different models as possible...

Reactions: tps5352

The newest s and x have redesigned tail lights and a charge door that flips up in a motion that is a little more similar to the 3/Y.

It looked like it would be enough room. The car pictured above is the previous design.

Edit: video of newest design:

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
The newest s and x have redesigned tail lights and a charge door that flips up in a motion that is a little more similar to the 3/Y.

It looked like it would be enough room. The car pictured above is the previous design...

Ah! I hadn't seen that. Yes, it does look like the CCS1 adapter (from South Korea) may possibly fit that space (now that the door apparently opens up out of the way).

But this makes me worried that "Classic"/"Legacy" North American Models S/X will be 'abandoned' by Tesla (with regards to CCS1 adapters).

And lest you think me paranoid, here are some possible examples of Tesla arguably 'abandoning' owners of certain cars:
  • Model 3 (and I assume Model Y?) in Europe not having compatibility with CHAdeMO adapters there.
  • Older Model 3 cars in Europe (with original Type 2 charge port) not having access to the Tesla CCS2 adapter.
  • Early purchasers of FSD in North America not getting FSD Beta test firmware (in a timely fashion).

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
Model 3 (and I assume Model Y?) in Europe not having compatibility with CHAdeMO adapters there.

This is a hardware incompatibility. In the European Model 3/Y the HV DC only goes through the lower CCS DC pins which the CHAdeMO adapter doesn't have. They could make a new CHAdeMO adapter that used them, but why would they? Are there really places that you can charge via CHAdeMO and not CCS?

Older Model 3 cars in Europe (with original Type 2 charge port) not having access to the Tesla CCS2 adapter.
There is no such Model 3. Every Model 3 sold in Europe came with a CCS2 inlet. No adapter for CCS charging is necessary at all. (Which is why they probably don't care about the CHAdeMO adapter being incompatible.)

Last edited:
Ah! I hadn't seen that. Yes, it does look like the CCS1 adapter (from South Korea) may possibly fit that space (now that the door apparently opens up out of the way).

But this makes me worried that "Classic"/"Legacy" North American Models S/X will be 'abandoned' by Tesla (with regards to CCS1 adapters).

And lest you think me paranoid, here are some possible examples of Tesla arguably 'abandoning' owners of certain cars:
  • Model 3 (and I assume Model Y?) in Europe not having compatibility with CHAdeMO adapters there.
  • Older Model 3 cars in Europe (with original Type 2 charge port) not having access to the Tesla CCS2 adapter.
  • Early purchasers of FSD in North America not getting FSD Beta test firmware (in a timely fashion).
I agree that sounds like a real possibility. I guess the good news is that the software seems to work and the CCS chip seems to be there, so third party adapters could potentially fill the void. TBH, I'm surprised there aren't more of them on the market, given the relatively simplicity.

I agree that sounds like a real possibility. I guess the good news is that the software seems to work and the CCS chip seems to be there, so third party adapters could potentially fill the void. TBH, I'm surprised there aren't more of them on the market, given the relatively simplicity.

As you may know, I think there are at least two existing CCS1-to-TPC aftermarket adapters (one from Asia and one from Ukraine?). They have been discussed in detail in other threads at TMC.

As you may know, I think there are at least two existing CCS1-to-TPC aftermarket adapters (one from Asia and one from Ukraine?). They have been discussed in detail in other threads at TMC.
Yes, but one of them is not passive so limited to 50kw, and the other is not currently shipping as it is from Ukraine. Hopefully that will change soon, but I get the feeling they will still have a backlog.

I'd be shocked if Lectron doesn't get a passive one to market eventually.

Yes, but one of them is not passive so limited to 50kw, and the other is not currently shipping as it is from Ukraine. Hopefully that will change soon, but I get the feeling they will still have a backlog.

I'd be shocked if Lectron doesn't get a passive one to market eventually.
Once Tesla enables (hardware + software) their cars to use the passive Tesla CCS adapter, it will be easy for other vendors to offer passive adapters as well.